Turn on thread page Beta

What sort of things did you buy for university and how much did you spend? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just curious about the things people didn't already have already and how much it all came to.

ReputationRep:
    Grill, toilet roll, books, air freshner.

ReputationRep:
    So far, I have towels (2x hand, bath towel & bath sheet, just under £40), pans (normal and a wok, £22), cutlery and bowls/mugs (£10), bedding (£20), first aid gear (£20, went for cheap paracetmol/plasters but things like burn and antisceptic cream are not cheap), academic gear (probably £10, refill pads/push-pins/diary). Spent about £15 on a couple of new t-shirts and some sandals (apparently corridor and kitchen floors aren't nice), and loads of money on new underwear (although not specifically for uni ).

Everything else like 'niche' cutlery (tin-openers etc), plates, pens, files and decor were either given by relatives or I already own.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a minifridge to keep all my dairy products in (yoghurts, cheese, butter, milk) before going to uni. Bought a set of three pans, a 12 piece crockery set (4 bowls, 4 big plates, 4 side plates), a colander, a printer, a bottle opener, books, picture frames and a couple of new shirts. Everything else I already had. It didn't cost much actually which is always good!

ReputationRep:
    Around £300-£400 (excluding the laptop and bike):

* New Laptop
    * Bicycle (after starting uni) + Accessories (Lock, Odometer, Pump...)
    * Bean Bag
    * Lava Lamp
    * Loads of stationary (spare pens, etc.) - Probably spent around £50 just on that
    * New Clothes, and shoes
    * A spare calculator
    * New Phone (Well, I did this because my previous phone was 2 years old)
    * USB Sticks (1x 16GB and one 4GB which I had from before)
    * Torch
    * Printer
    * Swiss Army knife (for whenever I'd need a screwdriver or bottle opener etc...)
    * Red Bull at whole sale price (A crate of 24 for when I have very little sleep)
    * New Shoulder bag
    * Throw Blanket
    * Rug (which was useless though)
    * A lot of snacks (Celebrations, Crisps, Chocolates, cans of coke...)
    * Enough spare shampoo, soap, shaving oil, aftershave, toothpaste, toothbrushes etc to last for the entire first year
    * Big Sports Direct Wall Clock
    * Desk Lamp (didn't use because it was available in my room)
    * Bedding accessories (Pillows, Bedsheets, Quilts, Covers...)

Im glad I still have the list of items to take to uni, which I made in MS Excel. Can't believe so much of it was useless...

I started making a list way before (October the year before I went to uni) and therefore managed to spend very little on all of the above. A lot of items were bought on special offers or from Lidl / Aldi where they come occasionally and are super cheap and decent quality

ReputationRep:
    I bought a laptop for university so far... that's about it.
    I have lists of what I need to buy, however, headed under 3 broad categories: Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    I bought:

A new duvet set
    A new lamp
    Some nice pillows
    One plate, one bowl, and 3 cups.
    2 towels

and that's about it. I didn't see the need for all this extra crap people insist on bringing. Everyone in the flat brought about 6 pans each so I just borrowed theirs. I bought stuff I needed as and when I needed it. I spent about £70 maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I recommend everyone to go to Costco. its like an american store where they sell things in bulk really cheaply. Can get all your Uni stuff there. i plan to anyway. It gets rid of the middle men like tesco and morrisons so you save a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I actual own everything already which is one of the benefits of being a mature student.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.