The Student Room Group

AS level results extremely bad, need help and advice please.

I got really bad results for my AS (EEUU) and I need advice and help please

Maths- C1-E
C2-C
M1-U

Physics- Unit 1-U
Unit 2-U
Coursework-B

English Lang and Lit-Exam-U
-Coursework-D

Geography- Unit 1-U
- Unit 2-U

I am planning to either do AS again or just do resits during A2. I am maybe being to optimistic but is it possible for me to get three A's (or similiar) in A2 without doing AS all over again? Can I change it all around in one yaer by just doing resits? Are there people who have changed there grades dramatically in one year through resits? My GCSE results were not that bad (ABBCCCD), so thats why I think I have really underestimated A levels and maybe thats why I'm hoping that maybe I could do much better, if I work harder.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No.
Bro, dont feel bad. I messed up to :smile: well so did everyone in my college
Reply 3
Yes! Although difficult it is doable I got EUDB in my As exams and then I did them again in November where I got BCC (while doing A2) and then in June I did them again together with the A2's and I got AAA!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
is it possible to retake AS exams in november? i was told you could only retake in january.
Reply 5
Honestly let me tell you something, it's never too late to work hard. I was in the exact same position 3years ago. I got As and Bs in all my GCSEs and stupidly I thought A Levels would be the similar - I underestimated just how hard these exams are.

My AS results were E - Biology D - Chemistry C - Maths and E - Physics. I was gutted and I thought I'd have to re-do the year. However instead I just did re-takes during my A2 exams because universities (the good ones) do not tend to accept people who have done A Levels through the course of 3 years. Work hard, dedicate your life to your studies. I started revising for my re-takes during the summer holidays and I completely put my private life on pause. I revised god knows how many hours a day whilst taking adequate breaks (15mins) to eat/chill. Sometimes I used to work till 4am in the morning but you don't have to stay up as late as that.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. My A2 results turned to being Biology A* - Maths A - Chemistry A and I'd dropped Physics after AS because I didn't think I;d be able to do it. Basically the moral of my experience was - work hard and you'll get the grades you deserve.
(edited 11 years ago)
My results were CCUU :frown: and my courses are asking for AAB which I don't think I can get
Reply 7
as long as you treat this as a wake-up call and appreciate how hard you have to work next time i'm sure you'll do much better..

i know lots of people who did badly, retook and did much better the second time around. it's all about your attitude- i did really well in AS levels because i worked really hard and my friend was far too over confident and did shocking, then next year he retook and did much better than me because he knuckled down whilst i was the one thinking i could cram A2 and breeze it- he ended up doing better than me overall, so it just goes to show it's all down to your approach and recognizing that if you want to get As you have to work for it..
Reply 8
Original post by Jubilee~
Honestly let me tell you something, it's never too late to work hard. I was in the exact same position 3years ago. I got As and Bs in all my GCSEs and stupidly I thought A Levels would be the similar - I underestimated just how hard these exams are.

My AS results were E - Biology D - Chemistry C - Maths and E - Physics. I was gutted and I thought I'd have to re-do the year. However instead I just did re-takes during my A2 exams because universities (the good ones) do not tend to accept people who have done A Levels through the course of 3 years. Work hard, dedicate your life to your studies. I started revising for my re-takes during the summer holidays and I completely put my private life on pause. I revised god knows how many hours a day whilst taking adequate breaks (15mins) to eat/chill. Sometimes I used to work till 4am in the morning but you don't have to stay up as late as that.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. My A2 results turned to being Biology A* - Maths A - Chemistry A and I'd dropped Physics after AS because I didn't think I;d be able to do it. Basically the moral of my experience was - work hard and you'll get the grades you deserve.

I'm in the same position as you but did you retake all of the units, my teachers wont let me retake more than 3 exams as they think it would be too much work for me, what should I do. Any advice on how to persuade them to let me take any more?
Original post by Jubilee~

Your story is really inspirational! I wish I could do the same, but I don't find time to revise.. do you have any tips for me to make myself revise?, please message me!!!Thanks
what's the boundary grade you need to get at AS to still be able to apply for medicine at uni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ZeroIgnition
is it possible to retake AS exams in november? i was told you could only retake in january.

Not anymore. All exams will now be in May/June for As/A2 as of this academic year. May also be the same for GCSE.
This thread is a year old. Some info will be out of date. Better to start a new one.
one of my friends from school got similar results to yours, he spent a gap-year working and redoing them all. now he's doing engineering at Newcastle, which is fairly impressive.

you can actually redo your AS levels next year in conjunction with your A2s, i realise this will put a lot of strain on you, but people do do this, and come out with better results. you just need to be prepared to work very hard.

there's absolutely no way that you've worked hard enough if you've got those results, it's just not feasible- you have to work harder. that's how life works i'm afraid- it gives you chances to learn from your mistakes and get up a second, sometimes a 3rd or 4th, time to try harder, but if you aren't able/willing to then no one else is going to give it to you.

you can definitely do it, just work much harder.
(edited 10 years ago)
I flopped aswell BCCU, so did most people in my year and I go to a grammar school
Reply 15
Original post by Tridentus
one of my friends from school got similar results to yours, he spent a gap-year working and redoing them all. now he's doing engineering at Newcastle, which is fairly impressive.

you can actually redo your AS levels next year in conjunction with your A2s, i realise this will put a lot of strain on you, but people do do this, and come out with better results. you just need to be prepared to work very hard.

there's absolutely no way that you've worked hard enough if you've got those results, it's just not feasible- you have to work harder. that's how life works i'm afraid- it gives you chances to learn from your mistakes and get up a second, sometimes a 3rd or 4th, time to try harder, but if you aren't able/willing to then no one else is going to give it to you.

you can definitely do it, just work much harder.

Hi I agree with your comments, I'm a little bit miffed at the moment as I got ACCC in my AS results today after working closely with some great help from my parents starting in Easter holidays , after copying notes and going through Q&A sessions , with the help of parents we went onto past papers , the results where great 89% -95% in all subjects , then went over the actual texts books before doing the exams . The results above where a bit of a shock if I'm honest...the only thing I can think of is that I had 7 exams (with resits) this June but still cannot grasp how I go from 90% plus down to a C ....My Dad who is being supportive has agreed to pay for some of the papers to check if its my examine technique but why didn't that show on the past papers? sorry if its a bit of ramble but soooo disappointed and just wondered if anyone had any advice . I 'm real happy to work hard after my cock up last January and now this June exams set back. Turned the Economics F581 from a D in January to A and Got A in Econ F82.. C's in Chem-Bio- & English Lit... sorry its a long post.Thanks
Reply 16
i finished AS with DEEU but have just been accepted in to University with a CCC final mark, AS year is a wakeup call to most people so just put the effort in and you'll get there in the end
Original post by gardan
Hi I agree with your comments, I'm a little bit miffed at the moment as I got ACCC in my AS results today after working closely with some great help from my parents starting in Easter holidays , after copying notes and going through Q&A sessions , with the help of parents we went onto past papers , the results where great 89% -95% in all subjects , then went over the actual texts books before doing the exams . The results above where a bit of a shock if I'm honest...the only thing I can think of is that I had 7 exams (with resits) this June but still cannot grasp how I go from 90% plus down to a C ....My Dad who is being supportive has agreed to pay for some of the papers to check if its my examine technique but why didn't that show on the past papers? sorry if its a bit of ramble but soooo disappointed and just wondered if anyone had any advice . I 'm real happy to work hard after my cock up last January and now this June exams set back. Turned the Economics F581 from a D in January to A and Got A in Econ F82.. C's in Chem-Bio- & English Lit... sorry its a long post.Thanks

it's ****, and i'm sorry cos you seem like you've really put your back into it with help from your parents. it's just the way it is with exams- if they made all the questions the same so that it was repeatable then A levels would be far too easy.

you could do the gap year thing i talked about- you could target the specific modules that you did badly in and try to bring them up.

if not- i actually ended up with BBC, after AAB at AS level (for my own reasons, which i won't go into), i'm now doing sociology at york (a consistently top 15 uni) followed by a masters in marketing. this is how the system allows you to compensate for your mistakes. it gives you second chances, but somewhere down the line you need to have worked hard enough.
Reply 18
I have totally failed my AS results EUU. Was expecting CCC. I know i have messed up and wanted to retake the year. Went to enrole today and college refusing to let me. They are pressing me to to do apprenticeship. They wont even give me a second cance yet some of my friends who got the same results have been allowed to retake. I havent a clue what to do or where to turn.
Original post by frannie21
I have totally failed my AS results EUU. Was expecting CCC. I know i have messed up and wanted to retake the year. Went to enrole today and college refusing to let me. They are pressing me to to do apprenticeship. They wont even give me a second cance yet some of my friends who got the same results have been allowed to retake. I havent a clue what to do or where to turn.

What reason have they given? Are your GCSEs poor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending