Turn on thread page Beta

Wrong AS level results? watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you know, I can't see your message, all I can see is the following I see in this image;

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 198
Size:  39.9 KB

So, I am going to try and post this to try and see the message. =l

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent1)
    Sorry I don't know what happened to my question. Here it is again:

When I went to find out my as results I was disappointed with the results I got and so I decided to look at the edexcel grade boundaries for the papers I took.
    In my unit 1 geography, my results said I got 84 (B) but the grade boundaries showed that to get an A you needed 59. The unit 2 geography was the same, I was told I got 56 (B) but to get an A you needed 49.
    Also for my C1 in maths I found out I got 47 which my result sheet said was an E but the grade boundaries showed that to get a C you needed 45.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm confused by the results or if I'm even right. And has this happened to any if you guys.
    Oh. These are your UMS points, your papers go through a funny formula and grade it out of 100 to make it easier for you to see.
    That's why.

ReputationRep:
    There's two types of mark, with associated grade boundaries, called "raw" and "UMS". The marks given to you on your results sheet are UMS, but the grade boundaries you're using are raw. 80% of total UMS available is an A, 70% a B, 60% a C and so on. In Maths the total UMS for each module is 100, I think physics and chemistry are 120, not sure about other subject though.

So take your Maths for instance, you got 47 UMS. 60 UMS was a C, 50 UMS was a D and 40 UMS was an E, so because you got between 40-49, you were given an E.

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Araya)
    There's two types of mark, with associated grade boundaries, called "raw" and "UMS". The marks given to you on your results sheet are UMS, but the grade boundaries you're using are raw. 80% of total UMS available is an A, 70% a B, 60% a C and so on. In Maths the total UMS for each module is 100, I think physics and chemistry are 120, not sure about other subject though.

So take your Maths for instance, you got 47 UMS. 60 UMS was a C, 50 UMS was a D and 40 UMS was an E, so because you got between 40-49, you were given an E.

Does that make sense?
    Oohhh ok yeah that made sense thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Oh. These are your UMS points, your papers go through a funny formula and grade it out of 100 to make it easier for you to see.
    That's why.
    Thanks, made sense
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by astudent1)
    Sorry I don't know what happened to my question.
    Sorry, it was sitting in the queue of threads to validate and didn't quite make it in time.

ReputationRep:
    My god, you'll be in A2 in a few weeks and you don't even know what UMS is...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I did an OCR AS Psychology Core Studies exam in May 2012 and I revised so much for it, like I'm not even exaggerating, there were 15 case studies i needed to know inside out so i didn't waste time with revision. Basically, whenever we did any mock exams I would always get high/low A's and my teacher herself even said that if I keep this up there should be no reason as to why i shouldn't achieve an A in the real exam. And I can remember on the day of the exam I actually went upto my teacher and predicted what would come up on certain sections of the exam (i.e. Maguire for Section B and Developmental approach for section c) and when i saw these come up i was so happy they came up as section c was basically in the bag as i knew the answers by heart from all the exam practice we had done and even the day after the exam my teacher discussed the exam with me and i told her what i wrote down and in her own words she said that "you are bang on the money there excellent" so I was so upset to see i got a D in the real exam and i don't understand how, i just can't quite put my finger on how i got such a rubbish grade! So do you think it's worth asking for a remark? Cause i really don't think i deserved a D on that paper! Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    My god, you'll be in A2 in a few weeks and you don't even know what UMS is...
    Many students do find the concept of UMS confusing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.