The Student Room Group

Energy and Mining prospects for humanities/language graduate

Hi I've been mulling over my possible career paths post-graduation (I currently read History and Chinese). I've been told that opportunities may lie in the energy and mining sectors however I'm unsure as to whether I, not being a student of science or engineering etc, would be applicable to this sector. In short, what sort of roles would suit humanities/language graduates such as myself?
Original post by Mashy92
Hi I've been mulling over my possible career paths post-graduation (I currently read History and Chinese). I've been told that opportunities may lie in the energy and mining sectors however I'm unsure as to whether I, not being a student of science or engineering etc, would be applicable to this sector. In short, what sort of roles would suit humanities/language graduates such as myself?

It depends very much on the company. I currently work in energy, specifically oil & gas, and different companies tend to have different recruitment policies. So whilst you couldn't get an engineering role or a science role, some companies accept applications for their commercial roles e.g. Centrica. It is true, yes, that there a lot of companies in this industry that flat out do not hire humanities graduates but there are still opportunities for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending