Turn on thread page Beta

Smartpen or tablet? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to buy a laptop for my first year at uni, I'm studying Chem Eng at Imperial. I'm looking to spend ~£1000 total. I need something durable - I break things. I'm not a serious gamer, but I'd like something with the power to run Minecraft and Civ5, and maybe some other Steam games. My main problem, however, is note-taking.

In the sixth form, my school gave us ThinkPads with Wacom Bamboo tablets which I used to handwrite all my notes into MS OneNote. I much prefer handwriting notes, but I'm useless at filing, so this system worked pretty well for me. However it was all a bit of a pain to lug around/set up in class etc. I really like the look of smartpens, but I'm worried about being able to afford the expensive digital paper needed when I'm a starving uni student. I'm also thinking about getting a tablet and a stylus, but I don't know if that will be good enough for writing notes on, or how tricky it will be to transfer notes between machines. I know there's probably not an ideal solution, but if anyone has a better idea about this than me, could they help? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoethedotted)
    I'm looking to buy a laptop for my first year at uni, I'm studying Chem Eng at Imperial. I'm looking to spend ~£1000 total. I need something durable - I break things. I'm not a serious gamer, but I'd like something with the power to run Minecraft and Civ5, and maybe some other Steam games. My main problem, however, is note-taking.

In the sixth form, my school gave us ThinkPads with Wacom Bamboo tablets which I used to handwrite all my notes into MS OneNote. I much prefer handwriting notes, but I'm useless at filing, so this system worked pretty well for me. However it was all a bit of a pain to lug around/set up in class etc. I really like the look of smartpens, but I'm worried about being able to afford the expensive digital paper needed when I'm a starving uni student. I'm also thinking about getting a tablet and a stylus, but I don't know if that will be good enough for writing notes on, or how tricky it will be to transfer notes between machines. I know there's probably not an ideal solution, but if anyone has a better idea about this than me, could they help? Thanks
    Quick note: My smart pen books are £20 for 4 massive A4 pads, which isn't too terrible, or alternatively you can use the software that comes with the pen to print your own note paper

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.