Univeristy Coursework Penalty Watch

Nutty_Psychologist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to put it?

Yesterday I had a complete disaster handing coursework in. I am a defferal and my deadline was yesterday at 4. I had 3 pieces to submit, one of which being my dissertation. The policy with your dissertation is that you have to get it bound. But you also have to submit your coursework through the internet first, I started putting them through the internet at like 3.10? (The binding place is only in the union and my department building was opposite it) normally putting it through the system takes about 2 minutes but for some reason one of them would not go through. There was some sort of error and I tried and tried for half an hour. I quickly submitted my others through and printed them all out and ran across to my department about 5 minutes to 4 and said I could not submit one of my essays. They checked on the system and it had gone through, even though it was saying to me that it wouldn't.
But because of all that I couldn't get my dissertation bound, I had a printed off copy but they said I had to have it bound before they could accept it.
I tried to explain that this had all happened because of a major mess up with the system but they wouldn't listen so I have had to hand it in today, bound with a 10% penalty.

I am refusing to accept this decision completely because this happened because I couldn't submit my work online so I couldn't go get it bound. Does anyone think I stand a chance of getting the decision over turned as a 10% penalty on my dissertation is just evil! I'm so upset Has anyone managed to revoke a decision and does anyone know who I go to?
edjunkie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It will depend on whether the electronic time of submission is taken as the assignment submission deadline or the physical submission. Universities warn students that things can go wrong and that unless it is a catastrophic failure, the deadline is the deadline.

Submit your mitigating circumstances in writing, using the correct process for your university. If once your work has been considered, you are at a grade boundary as a result of the 10% reduction. They may consider your mitigating circumstances. If it makes no difference to your grade, it will not be considered.

It won't help you now, but if someone experiences submission problems, the best thing to do is call the department before the deadline, a minimum of 1 hour before, explain the problem. If you cannot get through, e-mail your assignment to a lecturer or the departmental email address - this gives you a time stamp and submit the physical copy on time.
Nutty_Psychologist
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've spoken to them and I've told them I'm appealing the decision, I've got a mit circs application form, I'm just really worried it now costs me a grade, so bitter and angry
smart slug
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So basically you left your work too late to be completed/ submitted, tried to do so in the last minute, there was a technical error leading to you not submitting something else on time and now you're angry and trying for an appeal? Isn't it your own fault (you knew there was little time and common sense tells you that complications may always occur when you need them the least), why didn't you just hand in everything earlier?

I'm not trying to be rude, but you can't seriously expect them to change their decision when it was obviously your own fault?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (134)
27.29%
No (357)
72.71%

Watched Threads