The Student Room Group

Starting the PhD!

Hi everyone,

So I've just accepted the offer for my PhD, which I'm over the moon for and have been researching away already! However, I was just wondering what it's like getting started? Will I just need to register and then arrange a session with my supervisor - just wanted to know what the protocol was in general (obviously some things will differ according to uni), but I want to start off on the right foot so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lost_puppy
Hi everyone,

So I've just accepted the offer for my PhD, which I'm over the moon for and have been researching away already! However, I was just wondering what it's like getting started? Will I just need to register and then arrange a session with my supervisor - just wanted to know what the protocol was in general (obviously some things will differ according to uni), but I want to start off on the right foot so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

There'll probably be some form of induction at your department during which you register, and you'll also have a preliminary meeting with your supervisor to discuss general matters, but you won't have to arrange either of those for yourself. Your department will probably send your more information before the start of the academic year.
Maybe ask for some reviews or papers to read before you meet your supervisor or go over any that were attached to the advert.

The first month or so you may just be following someone around being shown stuff, doing lots of reading, ordering stuff for your research and maybe doing some health and safety stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending