Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I screwed up big time A-level wise (BCC), I didn't apply for Uni this year and had been planning on taking a Gap Year. I had a look at clearing and have been given a place at Swansea and I'm waiting on a few others, not sure whether I want to go this year though :/ While I'm sure that I can improve next year I'm worried that if I don't and end up getting rejected by all my Unis I'll be in an even worse position.

However if I did go this year I'm worried that the BCC will hold me back when applying for jobs etc after Uni. My parents think I should go but that is very much influenced by home circumstances as well.

Any advice? Btw I'm hoping to History & International Relations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehmonkey)
    Basically I screwed up big time A-level wise (BCC), I didn't apply for Uni this year and had been planning on taking a Gap Year. I had a look at clearing and have been given a place at Swansea and I'm waiting on a few others, not sure whether I want to go this year though :/ While I'm sure that I can improve next year I'm worried that if I don't and end up getting rejected by all my Unis I'll be in an even worse position.

However if I did go this year I'm worried that the BCC will hold me back when applying for jobs etc after Uni. My parents think I should go but that is very much influenced by home circumstances as well.

Any advice? Btw I'm hoping to History & International Relations
    I don't think you'll be rejected by all of your Universities with BCC so long as you do your research properly and also email the Universities you consider and ask them to comment on how they would see your application. As long as you do that you should get offers next year, and that way you have a chance to improve your grades with hard work.

That's just my personal view... particularly as you say you're not 100% sure you want to go to Swansea. You mustn't rush into something before you're sure its right for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping that I would be able to get my grades up to at BBB if not ABB, which I know would give me more options anyway but it's nice to know that not all is lost if I don't. I'm thinking if worst comes to worst I can just go through clearing again next year or something.

I do like Swansea but as you said I'm not 100% sure and that is probably partly due to the fact that Uni wasn't planned this year and that I don't have the choice. I'll probably end up applying there anyway, so trying to find out if rejecting them now will affect my chances! Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    What you need to realise is that once you have your degree, your A-levels will be irrelevent. Without your degree, most companies that will employ you will also not care about your A-levels, but your experience.

Don't delay another year, get to university and get a degree or attempt to get a job and start gaining experience.. Why retake when there is no point to A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehmonkey)
    not sure whether I want to go this year though :/
    Don't go then!
    The worst thing to do is to start Uni when you're not ready- like I did!
    If you think you can improve then do some resits, although be warned that when you do get to Uni and start your degree, no one will care how you did at A Level! No one has ever asked me what I got at A Level.
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Spoken to Swansea admissions they have said if I reapply next year it won't matter that I've rejected them and to just do what feels right. So looks like I'll be taking a 'year out' to try and get my confidence back up and prepare for Uni! And hopefully with a some improvements in resits I'll have a bit more choice come the time I make my decision.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.