Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,
    I'm new to this site but thought I would come here in the hope of talking to enough current/past students to help me make a decision which degree to apply for for 2013 entrance. Podiatry at Huddersfield or Diagnostic Radiography at Bradford. I have been on work experience in both areas, which I really enjoyed (so am no closer to a decision!). Perhaps some views from you guys might help me a bit! I know the 2 professions are very different, I love the idea of the hands on with patients that you see again and again and help to heal in Podiatry but am quite technically minded and would enjoy the work in x-ray from that point of view plus the faster pace of it, (I spent an afternoon in X-ray A&E) so am really torn. I'm doing an Access to HE course (I know, I know) as am mid 30's. How hard can it be to make a decision!? I really hope other people's views might help me!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm actually in the same situation, it is unbelievable. My heart was stuck on Diagnostic Radiography but when I was put through clearing, I started researching and came across Podiatry, for some reason I actually really like the course. I personally think Podiatry is a great career choice because it doesn't just involve diagnosing patients but also involves treating them, whereas DR only involves diagnosing patients. My motivation lies in treating patients because I am that type of caring person who wants to make a difference to people's lives. I also have an aspiration which is to work in a health care environment.
    They are both really competitive careers but it is only a matter of interest.
    I suggest you visit open days, do a little more research on what the courses involve and the units that you will study and the career prospects.
    Good luck to you, all the very best

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm a pod student! I think podiatry is the best choice, its a fascinating course. You get to do all stages of patient management - assessment, diagnosis and treatment! There are even courses out there for podiatrists to allow them to take their own radiographs much like dentists do. You can even go on to do extra training - if you are sharp enough - to become a podiatric surgeon.
    Its very hands on, pretty much from the start, and depending on where you study, you might get to do cadaver dissections and even attend/shadow foot and ankle surgeons.
    I have a friend who studies radiography, and it looks interesting, but less multideimensional than podiatry where you really touch upon everything (i.e learning to supply drugs, do minor surgery, treat wounds, read radiographs, diagnose a wide range of medical conditions, treat with mechanical therapies,)
    But, at least 100% of people know what a radiographer is, 50% seem to think podiatry is treating kids or just dont have a clue!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by delliwelli1976)
    Hello All,
    I'm new to this site but thought I would come here in the hope of talking to enough current/past students to help me make a decision which degree to apply for for 2013 entrance. Podiatry at Huddersfield or Diagnostic Radiography at Bradford. I have been on work experience in both areas, which I really enjoyed (so am no closer to a decision!). Perhaps some views from you guys might help me a bit! I know the 2 professions are very different, I love the idea of the hands on with patients that you see again and again and help to heal in Podiatry but am quite technically minded and would enjoy the work in x-ray from that point of view plus the faster pace of it, (I spent an afternoon in X-ray A&E) so am really torn. I'm doing an Access to HE course (I know, I know) as am mid 30's. How hard can it be to make a decision!? I really hope other people's views might help me!
    I'm just about to start my 2nd yr doing radiography. Anything in particular you wanna know that might help you make a choice??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delliwelli1976)
    Hello All,
    What about therapeutic radiography? You get the best of both worlds, the technology and fast pace plus the more 'healing' side with patients you see multiple times.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxants33)
    Hello
    I'm a pod student! I think podiatry is the best choice, its a fascinating course. You get to do all stages of patient management - assessment, diagnosis and treatment! There are even courses out there for podiatrists to allow them to take their own radiographs much like dentists do. You can even go on to do extra training - if you are sharp enough - to become a podiatric surgeon.
    Its very hands on, pretty much from the start, and depending on where you study, you might get to do cadaver dissections and even attend/shadow foot and ankle surgeons.
    I have a friend who studies radiography, and it looks interesting, but less multideimensional than podiatry where you really touch upon everything (i.e learning to supply drugs, do minor surgery, treat wounds, read radiographs, diagnose a wide range of medical conditions, treat with mechanical therapies,)
    But, at least 100% of people know what a radiographer is, 50% seem to think podiatry is treating kids or just dont have a clue!

Thank you so much to everybody for your replies and advice and Maxants33, you're completely signing off my songsheet and I've now made my decision! Podiatry it is! For all the reasons you mention.
    I'm going to apply to Huddersfield but thats about it, so all eggs in one basket I'm afraid. I have two young children so I wouldnt be able to go through clearing and so on so I'm going to have to get distinctions all round in my access course which starts in a few weeks arent I! Whereabouts are you studying Podiatry?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.