Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My BF got CDEU at AS. This isn't enough for him to carry on his subjects to A2 at his sixth form (minimum of DDD), but is at mine (min of EEE). He's having one of his history (E) papers looked at as his thought it went well, so if his teacher thinks it needs a remark, he'll get one done and then should be able to carry on his A2s there.

Another silly thing they're saying is that he can't redo AS history or do retakes alond side A2 and the only way he can carry it on is to get a better grade, which he has no way of doing so unless the remark goes well !?!?!?!?!?

But his history and politics might be with different exam boards. Is this going to be much of a problem? Sorry I dunno what exam boards my 6th form do them with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    My BF got CDEU at AS. This isn't enough for him to carry on his subjects to A2 at his sixth form (minimum of DDD), but is at mine (min of EEE). He's having one of his history (E) papers looked at as his thought it went well, so if his teacher thinks it needs a remark, he'll get one done and then should be able to carry on his A2s there.

Another silly thing they're saying is that he can't redo AS history or do retakes alond side A2 and the only way he can carry it on is to get a better grade, which he has no way of doing so unless the remark goes well !?!?!?!?!?

But his history and politics might be with different exam boards. Is this going to be much of a problem? Sorry I dunno what exam boards my 6th form do them with.
    Speak to your school, some schools will allow you to transfer for the A2 year. The exam board issue will be a problem though, you'll need to discuss this properly with the school and teachers to see what they say.

I'm not sure why they're saying that he can't retake AS modules alongside A2 as that should be fine - can he get his parents to speak to the head teacher? Often the people who are making the admin decisions are only working on orders and will not/are unable to consider cases on an individual basis so its better to go to someone higher up.

ReputationRep:
    He would be able to do as retakes, but they wont let him onto the a2 course to do so.

My 6th form is still advertising spaces, so if the exam boards are an issue is he more likely to get onto as history and politics (e and d grade) and a2 psychology (c). But would that make deciding what to do the year after awkward?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    He would be able to do as retakes, but they wont let him onto the a2 course to do so.

My 6th form is still advertising spaces, so if the exam boards are an issue is he more likely to get onto as history and politics (e and d grade) and a2 psychology (c). But would that make deciding what to do the year after awkward?
    So what's the point of him doing resits then? What if he gets an A in his AS in Jan then there's no option to do the A2.

Get parents involved at this stage and speak to the people highest up in the school and explain that this is a stupid solution. If they're not going to let him carry on the A2 then there's little point in resitting the AS because a stand alone AS won't help him if he only has 2 A levels. He needs 3 A levels to open up his options for both university and alternatives. This current solution of 2 A levels + 1 AS level is not something that is the best option for him and the school should know this - its probably also worth looking at some university entry requirements and taking it with him to the meeting just to prove to the school that 3 A2s is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. He probably wont go to uni although he hasnt ruled it out. He wants to go to a drama school so doesn't need alevels.

ReputationRep:
    He phoned them up, i'm not sure who he talked to but they said that he can go in when the yr11s-12 enroll and have an interview. He might still get into his sixth form if he can get a remark, but at least this has given him another option if he can't.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.