Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been looking around for insurance for my stuff, I've managed to get some reasonable quotes, but there is one issue. The policy terms state that I am not allowed to use my property for Commercial Use.

At the moment and (when I get to university) I make YouTube videos and make money off them through advertising revenue, as well as being paid monthly maintaining someone else's website in my free time.

So here, one of the higher value assets I have, being that my computer, is not coverable by an insurance policy.

I have looked into Business property insurance, but they are refusing to provide cover for me because of the Primary Industry I am working in (Web Design etc)

If I do buy student halls insurance, and ever need to make a claim on my computer equipment, I'm really just committing Fraud...

Any advice anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I think the clause is only really there to stop people trying to insure a company issued computer or laptop that they happen to have at their property.

Unless the computer was bought by and used solely for a company I seriously doubt they will care (or find out) that you make some money online via advertising revenue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsnake23)
    I think the clause is only really there to stop people trying to insure a company issued computer or laptop that they happen to have at their property.

Unless the computer was bought by and used solely for a company I seriously doubt they will care (or find out) that you make some money online via advertising revenue.
    I also get paid to manage someone else's website.

Plus wouldn't an insurance company be looking for any excuse not to accept any claim?

ReputationRep:
    A baseball bat and some crystal meth are all the insurance you need mate. :pimp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWeeden)
    I also get paid to manage someone else's website.

Plus wouldn't an insurance company be looking for any excuse not to accept any claim?
    The reason the insurance company state 'no commercial use' is to avoid companies buying insurance intended for personal use only. If your computer has been bought via a company for use with that company then it might be considered as being for commercial use.

I very much doubt the insurance company mean that you can't use the insurance for a computer that you use for personal use but sometimes use it for making money online. It would make it void for anyone who ever sold something on Ebay etc. Its not as if there's any way of them actually finding out what type of use the computer is for anyway!

Contact the insurance company themselves if you still aren't sure.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.