Turn on thread page Beta

Looking to go back to Uni but have a problem watch

    • Thread Starter

    In 1998 I finished my 3 years Computer BSc and failed, why because I was lazy and more interested in out of university projects.
    Since I have still managed to gain a successful career in I.T, but I have the urge to go back and finish what I started.
    Here lies my problem I went to City University in London who had a devastating fire in 2001 (I think) which gutted the Comp Sci department, and thus losing all prior student records. The other problem is that I cannot find any documentation regarding my module results for those 3 years.

    So I have several queries one is over is there any other body which tracks student results, i.e. at a module level. I’m thinking of someone like UCAS.
    Secondarily for me to go back to university I don’t think I could do the 3 years, but 2 I would be prepared to do. If I cannot find any documentary evidence of my results, even though I do have a letter which in effect says welcome to the 3rd year, which proves I did pass my 1st, 2nd year.

    I have researched APEL/CATS and wonder if being a mature student with 5+ years of working in I.T plus the necessary Alevel, GCSE grades whether it is realistic to think I could forgo the 1st year which doesn’t contribute to your final degree anyway.

    Hate to sermon but study hard at Uni it’s not that hard compared to the real working world and it will make life a lot easier in the future. Also failing Uni and working my way up has made me regret my prior failure but enabled me to appreciate the value of a Degree.

    Anyway much appreciated for any help

    What kind of university allows a fire to destroy records? I would have though all universities back their work up in multiple buildings to stop this from happening. Also 1998 was a long time ago, I think you would have to start from scratch anyway, as you know I.T changes all the time so some of the course content you did will be compleltly out of date by now.

    Some of the lesser universities will let you skip the first year but even then you normaly need an HND.

    What area of computing do you want to study? computer science?

    Unis normally only allow continuation of a course for a certain amount of time I imagine it was so long ago that you'd have to start from scratch.

    What about doing an OU degree or looking at the university of London distance learning programme. COntact the uni direct but if they dont have records of your results you're stuffed.
    I only finished my degree in 2001 and i had a heck of a job getting a reference GRR!
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.