Dissappointed with AS Results:( Please help.. Watch

steffi17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, I got my AS results yesterday which was very disappointing. I recieved CCEE(psychology, Chemistry,Biology and French). I worked really hard for the exams and I dont know what went wrong:/ I let my my parents, my teachers and myself down I am going to drop french this year. And I would like to do AS and A2 together. Do you think this is possible? Also I want to resit one unit from Psychology and two from chemistry. Is this possible? Another thing that is really upsetting me is that I was going to apply for Dentistry this September. But I dont think its going to happen now. I really wanted to and it makes me cry when I think I wont be able to apply for it. What should I do>Can I persuade my teachers to give me good predicted grades?
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Speak to your teachers and discuss where things may have gone wrong. Are your module results consistently poor or did you just struggle in particular modules? You want to resit as few modules as possible whilst gaining as many UMS as possible, so figure out where you can improve the most in a short period of time. You need to concentrate on your A2 modules and do well in these, so don't sacrifice performance in these for AS resits.

ccee only gives you BBD as a prediction, realistically, which won't look good for dentistry. It may be worth applying on a gap year with your A2 results in hand. There's no point persuading your teachers to give you massively inflated predictions as the unis will see that they aren't correlated with your AS performance.
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think doing your AS and A2 at the same time is a good idea- i think it would be manageable considering your grades but with your french although you want to drop it universities would probably be able to see your grade in it so it would be advisable to improve on that grade also. Try and persuade your teachers to give you higher predicted grades, however if you cant manage to get predicted AAA, i say you reapply next year after getting your final a-level results
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why the hell would you predict someone who 'worked really hard' AAA when they got CCEE?
DOCTOR_FALCON
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion, should should take some time out and just breath. You've had a massive shock and you wouldn't want to make an inpulsive decision. Came back to some of the questions tyou asked in this thread next week friday. Trust me, you'll feel much diffrently about it.
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What I can say is that resitting your AS Chemistry papers whilst doing A2 Chemistry is very viable, if not recommended.

The final A2 paper is synoptic and draws in information from parts of AS and A2, so since you revised for the AS papers BEFORE sitting the A2 papers you have an advantage. I have seen people who struggle with A2 Chemistry because they have forgotten their AS knowledge. I personally found the A2 synoptic papers very easy because it draws in on AS knowledge. My highest module mark is in a synoptic paper.
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One more thing, please don't work hard. I mean it, DO NOT WORK HARD. Work smart. What I mean by this is that you should be doing short bursts of revision of high quality e.g. eat a meal, get into a state of light euphoria, look at a topic, a exam question on this topic, analyze how it is marked, STOP for a while, rinse and repeat.

grade achieved is not proportional to hours spent studying.
Zaqq
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My AS results from yesterday were really bad. I got DDDU. I am dropping maths which i got a U in.

1st question
Will universities look at this dropped subject and be a disadvantage to me?

I will be doing 6 resits in January but I am going to work my ass off! My subjects will be my life and thats all I will do. I dont think i will get the predictions need for applying for dentistry by october.

2nd question
Since i wont get the predictions by october, How do I apply for dentistry? Shall I just apply and then get uni place through clearing at the end when I have my results?

3rd question
Should I do the UKCAT now? I feel horrible and still in shock and so dont think I will do well. So now what? Also my top 3 unis dont need UKCAT plus the 5th biomedical one.

4th question
I want to spend least years as possible before starting my career. So what the quickest graduate way of going about this?

5th question
What do I write in my personal statement with all this happening?

finally I have got work experience and GCSE all sorted out. I have got all that i need and ticked and meet all the requirements. I have got A LOT of work experience.

Thanks to all those who help me out! You will be helping me sort my life out! I am under a lot of pressure and feel really sick and confused. Thanks again!
darbyj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zaqq)
My AS results from yesterday were really bad. I got DDDU. I am dropping maths which i got a U in.

1st question
Will universities look at this dropped subject and be a disadvantage to me?

I will be doing 6 resits in January but I am going to work my ass off! My subjects will be my life and thats all I will do. I dont think i will get the predictions need for applying for dentistry by october.

2nd question
Since i wont get the predictions by october, How do I apply for dentistry? Shall I just apply and then get uni place through clearing at the end when I have my results?

3rd question
Should I do the UKCAT now? I feel horrible and still in shock and so dont think I will do well. So now what? Also my top 3 unis dont need UKCAT plus the 5th biomedical one.

4th question
I want to spend least years as possible before starting my career. So what the quickest graduate way of going about this?

5th question
What do I write in my personal statement with all this happening?

finally I have got work experience and GCSE all sorted out. I have got all that i need and ticked and meet all the requirements. I have got A LOT of work experience.

Thanks to all those who help me out! You will be helping me sort my life out! I am under a lot of pressure and feel really sick and confused. Thanks again!
I can only help with your first question; as U is classed as uncertificated you don't need to mention it on your UCAS form.
Zaqq
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by darbyj)
I can only help with your first question; as U is classed as uncertificated you don't need to mention it on your UCAS form.
I am one mark off an e. Shall i get it remarked or is it not worth it?
FareedP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im in the same position i dunno what to do aswell
frangoddard
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I ended up doing my entire chemistry A level this year, excluding the AS practical to bump it up to an A. I found most of the stuff we had covered in more detail, so things were far easier to remember and know.
In the end though I didn't improve Chem1 at all in 3 resits, and chem2 bumped by 6 ums this summer. Luckily got me the B I needed for my whole A level though, every little helps I suppose

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
catoswyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zaqq)
I am one mark off an e. Shall i get it remarked or is it not worth it?
Not worth it. Its better it doesn't appear at all so its a blessing its a U.

Zaqq
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by catoswyn)
Not worth it. Its better it doesn't appear at all so its a blessing its a U.

Thank you! How sure are you that a U does not need to be put on UCAS?

Also i cant find any information about entry requirement and retakes accpeted or not...
clampos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No that's rubbish.
arcus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zaqq)
Thank you! How sure are you that a U does not need to be put on UCAS?

Also i cant find any information about entry requirement and retakes accpeted or not...
It's true, you do not need to put the U on the UCAS forms, because technically you do not have the qualification so to speak.
Personally I wouldn't remark it to get an E, they will be able to see the grade then
Zaqq
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arcus)
It's true, you do not need to put the U on the UCAS forms, because technically you do not have the qualification so to speak.
Personally I wouldn't remark it to get an E, they will be able to see the grade then
but if they see then it will be bad for me right?
clampos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah a U is awful.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise