Clearing Admissions Watch

Fiabags
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Will universities start to accept anyone just to fill in places after all the best people have got in?

For example, clearing spans into September where the majority of people have probably sorted out their university places, so by this time if they still have places for their subjects, would they resort to allowing anyone just to have full classes?

Thank you.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They still have entry requirements. There's no point in them taking people just to fill spaces if those people are not academically capable of managing to cope with the course. Requirements may decrease slightly from normal. Most places will be allocated long before the start of September though. The uni doesn't get fined if they don't fill their classes in the same way as they get fined if they're oversubscribed, so a few empty places isn't the end of the world to them.
Fiabags
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
They still have entry requirements. There's no point in them taking people just to fill spaces if those people are not academically capable of managing to cope with the course. Requirements may decrease slightly from normal. Most places will be allocated long before the start of September though. The uni doesn't get fined if they don't fill their classes in the same way as they get fined if they're oversubscribed, so a few empty places isn't the end of the world to them.
That's totally understandable, however in my case, as I was put on a funny course whilst in sixth form, I was unable to put down my favored uni as a UCAS choice, I had to wait til extra to contact them. I originally emailed them in February in regards to extra and the acceptability of my course, however due to low predicted grades I was unable to apply then, but as my course was fine they told me to contact for clearing, which I did. With my results I actually got what they wanted a total of 280 points. I was about to be put into the system for a place, then all of a sudden minds were changed! They then told me I couldn't mix subjects and can only apply with my A levels which made my points dropped to 240 and was rejected which I find so unfair as they told me long before it was fine!
HWL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just wondering if anyone knows why some universities are putting people from clearing this year onto next September courses? :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Fiabags
Rep:
?
(Original post by HWL)
Just wondering if anyone knows why some universities are putting people from clearing this year onto next September courses? :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Maybe those certain courses are full and deferring is a next option for them?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?