Turn on thread page Beta

Driving with no car insurance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wandering what your opinions are of people driving with no car insurance.
    Do you think it's acceptable to drive without it under any circumstances?-
    -Maybe if it's just for a day.
    -If the person is in financial difficulty.
    etc.
    The reason why I am asking this is a friend of mine has been driving without it for the past 4 months due to money struggles. He is a very safe driver and commutes a long distance everyday to his place of work. However, I am not sure I agree with him that he should be driving without insurance.. I think he's taking a pretty big risk with his license and also in the event of a crash.
    As mentioned above, he is a very good driver but It doesn't mean that somebody else can't cause an accident.
    I passed my test at the age of 18 and pay for my insurance monthly with no help from my parents. I have never drove without insurance and make sure that I have enough money in my account every month for it to be taken out, which is generally quite hard taking into account the prices of young drivers insurance.
    What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're gonna pay his bail money when he gets arrested and jailed for driving without insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattNE)
    I'm just wandering what your opinions are of people driving with no car insurance.
    etc.
    The reason why I am asking this is a friend of mine has been driving without it for the past 4 months due to money struggles. He is a very safe driver and commutes a long distance everyday to his place of work. However, I am not sure I agree with him that he should be driving without insurance.. I think he's taking a pretty big risk with his license and also in the event of a crash.
    As mentioned above, he is a very good driver but It doesn't mean that somebody else can't cause an accident.
    I passed my test at the age of 18 and pay for my insurance monthly with no help from my parents. I have never drove without insurance and make sure that I have enough money in my account every month for it to be taken out, which is generally quite hard taking into account the prices of young drivers insurance.
    What do you think?
    I think that you have to remember that if he hit a person then that person would be a victim who had no way of getting financial help for their injuries which is pretty crap. Their lives could be ruined.

No one can ever say that this will not happen because injuries and unexpected accidents can occur however good a driver you are.

ReputationRep:
    etc.
    What do you think?
    Anybody that drives without insurance is a ****ing idiot and should have their driving license permanently revoked.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think insurance for young drivers is ridiculously expensive and unaffordable for most people. It means that drivers can't gain experience to become safer drivers, and keeps them from driving until they have a good job or are old enough to pay lower premiums. That said, I wouldn't commute or drive regularly without insurance. This risk is just not worth it, and it gets greater the more miles you do.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't drive without insurance, the problem isn't covering the cost of your car, it's covering the cost of whichever supercar you smash into at 100mph.

Having said that, I think the insurance system is disturbingly broken at the moment, it's only upside is that it's the lesser of two negative outcomes, either you never claim and 'waste' a ton of money, or you claim, have your insurance hiked so high you can never drive again and still have to pay out a fair sum of money once your excess is used up.

ReputationRep:
    Only idiots risk driving without insurance, under any circumstances.

If you don't have insurance you risk:
    - Having your driver’s license suspended.
    - Hefty fines
    - Your vechicle being ceased and only realeased with proof of insurance and after a penalty fine.

So in your friends case, it could end up costing him/her alot more than paying for insurance in the first place. &As they commute to work, it could cost them thier job if there isn't an alternative way of getting to work.

Edit: This is also ignoring the possibility of paying out if your friend has a crash. No matter how safe a driver you believe you are, accidents happen to everyone eventually. No matter how safe a driver you class yourself as, you really are insuring against all the ********s that are on the road, and there are plenty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Personally I think insurance for young drivers is ridiculously expensive and unaffordable for most people. It means that drivers can't gain experience to become safer drivers, and keeps them from driving until they have a good job or are old enough to pay lower premiums. That said, I wouldn't commute or drive regularly without insurance. This risk is just not worth it, and it gets greater the more miles you do.
    Tell me about it, I'm a named driver on my parents' insurance.

However, even if I've never been involved in a crash, which I haven't, I won't get any no-claims bonuses if I ever get my own car insurance with the same company. It's just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    The alternative (that I put up with for a year) is to get a little moped and find an insurer that will allow you to build no claims on a bike.

No excuses for people who drive with no insurance. It's the law.

It's like shoplifting; if you can't afford those fancy new earrings, you shouldn't be wearing them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who drives without insurance is a total tool. Enough said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Tell me about it, I'm a named driver on my parents' insurance.

However, even if I've never been involved in a crash, which I haven't, I won't get any no-claims bonuses if I ever get my own car insurance with the same company. It's just ridiculous.
    I've never really had an issue finding affordable car insurance - do you use all of the comparison sites? The most I ever paid a month was £120 and at 21 I am now paying £40 a month. If you haven't hit 21, stick with it, it becomes alot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    It really pisses me off that idiots who think it's okay to go around without insurance are allowed to pass their test.

ReputationRep:
    It's like having unprotected sex. A bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Telll him to stop driving and take the bus...

Even if he's a safe driver, that doesnt mean safe drivers screw up every now and again...I'd be pissed off if he crashed into me...

ReputationRep:
    I think it is unacceptable. You could be the most experienced and careful driver on the road and have a minor lapse in concentration, become distracted or there could be a hidden road hazard such as black ice, or a child dashing into the road. Whilst your friend probably thinks the likelihood of him causing an accident is low, the list of possible hazards is endless. I think driving uninsured is incredibly selfish. Driving is a luxury, I know plenty of people who cannot drive due to the high cost and they simply take the bus. I do agree that insurance premiums are high for young drivers. This, however, cannot be used as justification to flout the system. It is unfair on those who have made sacrifices to afford to drive legitimately and ultimately pushes up insurance premiums.

He is also not building any no claims bonus so his premium is likely to remain high and continue the cycle of driving uninsured, he'll be caught eventually.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that young drivers insurance is just ridiculous, I also think he's a complete idiot for driving without insurance but surely this is saying something..
    If they are going to charge stupid amounts for car insurance then there are some people who are just not going to be able to afford it and will drive without insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving without insurance for 13 months since i passed when i was 17. The quotes i was getting at the time was £18,000 + on a corsa 1.2. So it was uninsured or nothing at all, the car was insured by my dad (it only cost a few hundred), taxed, mot'd, and brake lights all checked incase i get pulled by a lighting default, therefore i wasnt spotted by ANPR systems.

But driving uninsured had made me so paranoid that everytime i saw a new BMW coming towards me i thought it was unmarked police. I had driving past police atleast 20 times, yet they didnt stop me! The cars were cheap run abouts like honda civic's, toyota corolla's etc. Im 18 years old, but i look like i am 13, which made it more riskier to getting pulled over. I have even driven my uncles 2011 DAF 7.5 tonne truck (automatic) in a car park, all by myself!

But when i was driving my old corolla, A few times i even gave way to police in a narrow street and they didnt stop me! Which was really scary at the time as i had just passed, and i look so young for my age etc

.. Now it's been 14 months since i have passed my test, and i had stopped driving uninsured for a month so far as just thought of the consequences of someone crashing into me and all that. Now i have checked my insurance and quotes are coming to £1500 - £2000, therfore i am going to get insured now, finally.

I seriously do not recommend driving uninsured as it makes you really paranoid when you drive, constantly looking in rear mirror, being paranoid turning every corner. However it's really hard to get caught, the police do not do much spot checks. And worse thing is, that the area that has most uninsured drivers in the UK according to the MIB is Small Heath, Birmingham. Which was the area i drove daily!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hvh)
    I've never really had an issue finding affordable car insurance - do you use all of the comparison sites? The most I ever paid a month was £120 and at 21 I am now paying £40 a month. If you haven't hit 21, stick with it, it becomes alot cheaper.
    But as a named driver our insurance adds £800, the cheapest around is at least £1300 if I was separately insured (we have a 7-seater, so it has a massive engine which makes all the insurance companies wee themselves, even though it's not actually a V8 turbo whatsit).

You're paying £40 a month, how much are no-claims contributing to that? 21st birthday is at the turn of the year, so it might be something I look into if it suddenly cheapens a fair bit..

ReputationRep:
    It's people like the OP's friend that raise the cost of motor insurance for those that pay theirs every month.Yes I know that it is very expensive for the younger drivers, but if you cannot afford to insure a car then dont drive.You will get caught by the police sooner or later and that means you will lose your car anyway...not to mention points , a fine or a possible prison sentence.

ReputationRep:
    etc.
    What do you think?
    With the greatest of respect, your friend is an idiot and irresponsible. It's because of people like him that the rest of us have to pay increased premiums. No one is immune from accidents, and if he crashed into my car, and seriously injured me, what would he do then?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.