The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Architecture-er
However, even if I've never been involved in a crash, which I haven't, I won't get any no-claims bonuses if I ever get my own car insurance with the same company. It's just ridiculous.

I used to think the same as a named-driver on my parents. I spoke to them, and whilst I didn't get a bonus when I got my own policy with a different company, my parents insurance company did send them a note saying I'd had no claims for the six months I was on their insurance and that got me a discount with my policy.

You should ask and see if your parents insurance company will do the same for you when you're looking for your own policy.
Reply 21
Original post by Architecture-er
But as a named driver our insurance adds £800, the cheapest around is at least £1300 if I was separately insured (we have a 7-seater, so it has a massive engine which makes all the insurance companies wee themselves, even though it's not actually a V8 turbo whatsit).

You're paying £40 a month, how much are no-claims contributing to that? 21st birthday is at the turn of the year, so it might be something I look into if it suddenly cheapens a fair bit..

I have two years no claims, I've been driving for three. So I have one accident on my record - first year of driving I reversed into my grandad on my own drive :colondollar:

1300 was about right for my first year on my own - but I had a 1.2 clio.

I think car makes a massive difference to be honest. I currently drive a 1.0 Citroen C1.
Original post by darbyj
... no the worst thing is that you were driving near where I live. It's bad enough having to make sure I drive really carefully to protect by NCB, without worrying if someone crashes into me they might not be able to pay up

I mainly used to drive around small heath, sparkhill, west bromwich, hall green, handsworth, oldbury etc, mainly around birmingham, sometimes tamworth. I feel quite good that i didnt pay for the years insurance, look at how much i have saved, i cud've spend thousands for my first year on the road! He who dares wins. I know so many people that drive without insurance, most of my friends dont have it too lol
Original post by l.west191
I used to think the same as a named-driver on my parents. I spoke to them, and whilst I didn't get a bonus when I got my own policy with a different company, my parents insurance company did send them a note saying I'd had no claims for the six months I was on their insurance and that got me a discount with my policy.

You should ask and see if your parents insurance company will do the same for you when you're looking for your own policy.

Ok I will, thanks for the heads up!
Original post by hvh
I have two years no claims, I've been driving for three. So I have one accident on my record - first year of driving I reversed into my grandad on my own drive :colondollar:

1300 was about right for my first year on my own - but I had a 1.2 clio.

I think car makes a massive difference to be honest. I currently drive a 1.0 Citroen C1.

Yeah, we had a 2.3 Ford Galaxy when I passed my tests, it has a great top speed (not that I've ever hit that before, cough) but it's just a slow people carrier really, I daresay a 1.0 C1 would be nippier but the insurance just run by numbers, and 2.3 litres + teenager = incredulous looks and a massive insurance price :frown:
If you don't get caught or don't have an accident, then who's complaining.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
If you don't get caught or don't have an accident, then who's complaining.

My point exactly :ThumbsUp:
Reply 27
I think this thread has identified that there 'may be' quite a big majority of people driving without insurance due to the amount costing young drivers. Insurance is suppose to protect us on the roads but if there are people driving without it, then what is the point in purchasing it? None of us are actually guaranteed money if we are involved in an accident due to people driving uninsured- So is there really any need to fork out all this money to insure one's self? It seems bizarre... I really think insurance companies need to do something about the amounts they are charging young drivers, because if they cannot purchase it then I believe a lot of them will still drive, insured or uninsured. As someone mentioned earlier on- 'I know so many people that drive without insurance, most of my friends dont have it too'. If insurance companies do not do something then I think the government should take some steps to sorting this out.
Reply 28
Original post by Mn93
I think this thread has identified that there 'may be' quite a big majority of people driving without insurance due to the amount costing young drivers. Insurance is suppose to protect us on the roads but if there are people driving without it, then what is the point in purchasing it? None of us are actually guaranteed money if we are involved in an accident due to people driving uninsured- So is there really any need to fork out all this money to insure one's self? It seems bizarre... I really think insurance companies need to do something about the amounts they are charging young drivers, because if they cannot purchase it then I believe a lot of them will still drive, insured or uninsured. As someone mentioned earlier on- 'I know so many people that drive without insurance, most of my friends dont have it too'. If insurance companies do not do something then I think the government should take some steps to sorting this out.

I totally agree with this. I also think there is a big majority of people who drive without insurance and that none of us are safe so what is the point in taking out policies. However, insurance for young drivers increase because of the uninsured drivers, so they are just making it a whole lot worst.
Original post by PataynaRolaay
I mainly used to drive around small heath, sparkhill, west bromwich, hall green, handsworth, oldbury etc, mainly around birmingham, sometimes tamworth. I feel quite good that i didnt pay for the years insurance, look at how much i have saved, i cud've spend thousands for my first year on the road! He who dares wins. I know so many people that drive without insurance, most of my friends dont have it too lol

Its people like you who give young drivers a bad name. It's people like you who hike up the price of insurance for us drivers who drive LEGALLY. It's drivers like you who carry out those lovely hit and runs, afterall, if you're not insured, you can't risk staying around, so you leave someone to die on the roadside. It's people like you who nearly KILLED my friends dad leaving him with a life changing brain injury, never to walk, talk or be a normal 45yo dad again. It's people like YOU who left him like that.

IDIOTS! :angry: The worst thing is, YOU'RE proud of breaking the law, and I bet you'd go out and party should you kill someone in your uninsured car as you wouldn't have to pay for it. :angry::angry:
Reply 30
i dislike most people who drive without insurance, im sorry if they can not afford it then don't drive. i had to wait 2 years before i could afford insurance because people keep driving without it which makes my cost go up, I did not drive without insurance I waited it out and was not stupid.

so really people that are driving without insurance caused me to pay thousands more on my insurance, and plus no matter how 'safe' you drive don't mean you are not going to crash; and the poor person you crashed into now is very much out of pocket on the costs and also the insurance renewal price is going to be stupid too
Original post by Maes Seren
Its people like you who give young drivers a bad name. It's people like you who hike up the price of insurance for us drivers who drive LEGALLY. It's drivers like you who carry out those lovely hit and runs, afterall, if you're not insured, you can't risk staying around, so you leave someone to die on the roadside. It's people like you who nearly KILLED my friends dad leaving him with a life changing brain injury, never to walk, talk or be a normal 45yo dad again. It's people like YOU who left him like that.

IDIOTS! :angry: The worst thing is, YOU'RE proud of breaking the law, and I bet you'd go out and party should you kill someone in your uninsured car as you wouldn't have to pay for it. :angry::angry:

Lol, how am i hiking up the price? I didnt crash or get caught, so whats the problem? All i did was get it insured by an older driver, and i just drive like normal. And i didnt run your dads friend over, and i never left him on the road. You need to take a chill pill son, its more better to drive uninsured in my opinion, who's going to pay thousands and thousand just because of a statistic? I went over a year driving uninsured and not crashing :smile: So who's complaining eh :wink:
Reply 32
If he cant afford to pay his insurance then he should not be driving, it surprises me that he can afford to run a car but yet not afford to insure it, it is very irresponsible, I am a new driver (2 months) and have found my insurance to be no more than £90 a month which is affordable and i only work 2 and a half days a week as thats all i can get, so he has no excuse to be driving without insurance
It makes me mad to think people actually do this :/

Original post by MattNE

The reason why I am asking this is a friend of mine has been driving without it for the past 4 months due to money struggles. He is a very safe driver and commutes a long distance everyday to his place of work.

Can he not move closer to his workplace, therefore saving petrol money and use that to pay for insurance?
Reply 34
Original post by AberGal
If he cant afford to pay his insurance then he should not be driving, it surprises me that he can afford to run a car but yet not afford to insure it, it is very irresponsible, I am a new driver (2 months) and have found my insurance to be no more than £90 a month which is affordable and i only work 2 and a half days a week as thats all i can get, so he has no excuse to be driving without insurance

Lol can i just point out that insurance quotes for females are majorly different to male quotations.
No way would you find a new driver (2 months), male having a quote for £90 a month.
Reply 35
Original post by Greenstarrr
It makes me mad to think people actually do this :/

Can he not move closer to his workplace, therefore saving petrol money and use that to pay for insurance?

Lol, he can't afford car insurance let alone move :P
Reply 36
Original post by MattNE
I'm just wandering what your opinions are of people driving with no car insurance.
Do you think it's acceptable to drive without it under any circumstances?-
-Maybe if it's just for a day.
-If the person is in financial difficulty.
etc.
The reason why I am asking this is a friend of mine has been driving without it for the past 4 months due to money struggles. He is a very safe driver and commutes a long distance everyday to his place of work. However, I am not sure I agree with him that he should be driving without insurance.. I think he's taking a pretty big risk with his license and also in the event of a crash.
As mentioned above, he is a very good driver but It doesn't mean that somebody else can't cause an accident.
I passed my test at the age of 18 and pay for my insurance monthly with no help from my parents. I have never drove without insurance and make sure that I have enough money in my account every month for it to be taken out, which is generally quite hard taking into account the prices of young drivers insurance.
What do you think?

He's an absolute idiot for driving without insurance. If he drives past an ANPR camera, it's time to say goodbye to his licence. This is the best outcome however: if he had a crash, it gets a lot worse, he would be personally liable for all the damages, i.e. he'd have to pay for the third party's car repairs, and all their highly exaggerated personal injury claims. Also, it doesn't matter if he was driving sensibly and a boy racer came out of nowhere and smashed into the back of his car, he would be the one at fault as he shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.

Ask yourself this: if he crashed into your car, and couldn't afford to repair it, how would you feel at getting your car written off and having to lose your own NCD (making your next insurance premium skyrocket), because someone else crashed into your car?

That being said, many young people who do have car insurance will probably find themselves in this situation when their insurer won't pay out due to fronting, and the other lies they told to get cheaper insurance.
I would say it is only acceptable to drive a car without insurance in an emergency, mainly to go to a hospital and if there are no better alternatives.
Reply 38
Original post by Hewitt
I would say it is only acceptable to drive a car without insurance in an emergency, mainly to go to a hospital and if there are no better alternatives.

taxi is always an alternative
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Lol, how am i hiking up the price? I didnt crash or get caught, so whats the problem? All i did was get it insured by an older driver, and i just drive like normal. And i didnt run your dads friend over, and i never left him on the road. You need to take a chill pill son, its more better to drive uninsured in my opinion, who's going to pay thousands and thousand just because of a statistic? I went over a year driving uninsured and not crashing :smile: So who's complaining eh :wink:

Because of uninsured drivers, insurance premiums are sky high, they don't give two hoots about how they drive. And I never said you did :rolleyes: read my post before getting on your high horse 'son'. Other than the fact that driving uninsured is against the law, and I hope to god that you have an accident and get sued so you realise just the consequences of your actions 'son'. And yes, I'm complaining, along with most others on this thread as its a well known statistic with the amount of careless, uninsured drivers.

Latest

Trending

Trending