Is an A grade that good any more compared to the A*? Watch

Flyteryder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have an A grade in A-Level English Literature. I got 2 B's in both coursework, 100% in the AS exam and 99% in the A2 exam, giving me a good A grade overall. If I'd have got a few more marks in the A2 coursework I'd have got an A*; I wish I'd tried harder in the coursework!

Is an A grade that good any more compared to someone with an A*? What do universities and employers think of A grades now?
Flyteryder
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A is considered a very good grade still. Stop being so hard on yourself.
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Flyteryder)
I have an A grade in A-Level English Literature. I got 2 B's in both coursework, 100% in the AS exam and 99% in the A2 exam, giving me a good A grade overall. If I'd have got a few more marks in the A2 coursework I'd have got an A*; I wish I'd tried harder in the coursework!

Is an A grade that good any more compared to someone with an A*? What do universities and employers think of A grades now?
In terms of universities, obviously it does come up in entry requirements and although a lot of universities try to ignore A* (particularly with predictions as some schools won't predict A*) it isn't that hard to do when weighing up applicants. Which courses are you considering applying for?

With employers, I don't think they'll really care. A* grades have only been around for about 3 years and in terms of A levels, employers just want a strong degree backed up with strong A levels (if they even care about your A levels) but I don't think it really makes much difference. There's normally space to include A levels on job application forms but I honestly don't think that employers really look at them unless you're applying for the competitive grad schemes in which case yes they do make a difference, but not like A* to an A... that's so marginal.
Benniboi1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say the difference between an A and A* is nowhere near as big as the difference between an A and a B.

edit: Partly because you can get higher UMS than one of your friends that get's an A* yet you only get an A, so there is a little bit of a luck element involved in your best exams being the one's that count towards an A*.
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just like Benniboi1 said!
Unkempt_One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A good A is still very good.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
An A is still good but it has certainly been upstaged by the A*. In fact I think A* is the new A; it takes comprehensive knowledge of the subject and superb exam technique, this can only be done through intense practice. You need 90% UMS to get an A* at A2. The A* is a more reliable guide to a students ability than the A grade because with the A grade you can get what I call 'Phantom grades'; this is where someone can get 100 UMS in AS and then get about 60 UMS in A2 and still end up with an A. To me that isn't a real A grade. To truly be A grade material you must atleast get 80 UMS in A2.
Flyteryder
Rep:
?
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
An A is still good but it has certainly been upstaged by the A*. In fact I think A* is the new A; it takes comprehensive knowledge of the subject and superb exam technique, this can only be done through intense practice. You need 90% UMS to get an A* at A2. The A* is a more reliable guide to a students ability than the A grade because with the A grade you can get what I call 'Phantom grades'; this is where someone can get 100 UMS in AS and then get about 60 UMS in A2 and still end up with an A. To me that isn't a real A grade. To truly be A grade material you must atleast get 80 UMS in A2.
I got 88% in A2, missing out on the A* by a little bit. I feel really disappointed in myself that I didn't get it, and I'm thinking employers will see my A grade and not even think it's any good.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Flyteryder)
I got 88% in A2, missing out on the A* by a little bit. I feel really disappointed in myself that I didn't get it, and I'm thinking employers will see my A grade and not even think it's any good.
Don't worry about that, I don't think employers would put too much stress on whether you got an A or an A*, Universities do but not employers. At the end of the day it's your degree classification that will matter in your CV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
29.03%
No - I got the required grades (109)
58.6%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.37%

Watched Threads