The Student Room Group

Is it too late/not possible to start A levels at 19? WITH a level 3 qualification?

I'm from South West. I've currently got 2 years of plumbing exp (level 2 AND 3). Unfortunately, and sadly, I've kind of gone off interest in the plumbing sector, main reason behind it is that I'm just not getting experience and apprenticeships seem to be in a drought since last year. I also dropped out of 6 form to do plumbing a couple of years back, but that's because back then I had no interest in school and was lazy and dossed around often (even though I went to grammar school!)

I want to go to university, to study Petroleum engineering. Now back in GCSE, school times I wasn't the brightest student of all time, I rarely paid attention in class and resulting in that I got **** grades, but that could still get me into my local college. To do petroleum engineering, you need Maths and a science subject at A level. It looks like I will definitely be doing Maths, and a science subject, but the other 1/2 will be decided sooner depending if I can get into college. I'd like to aim high for Manchester university, but if worse comes to worse then I'l have to take Portsmouth university into consideration. These are my current two choices. Not many university's do Petroleum Engineering according to UCAS. The two courses:

Manchester : http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2013/scholarships/course/?code=06139

Portsmouth : http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/undergraduate/BEngHonsPetroleumEngineering/

I'm currently 19, turning 20 in November. I am willing to work my ass off to get into Uni. I mean that I've matured enough to know what I want to do, and know that I need to work hard to get a decent outcome. So I wanted to know, will being 19 AND having a LEVEL 3 course round my belt mean that I can get into college (I'm asking you before I ask them, I understand its late but college does have alot of late applicants) and that I could get funding from somewhere? If not (which I hope!), will I have to pay to do A levels? How much is the average amount you've heard of?

If hopefully all goes well and I am successful, I'd be 21 by the time I leave for Uni, would that be a pretty odd age to go out with as I assume majority of freshers would be 18? A 3 year gap in education wise seems abit strange?

All help is greatly appreciated, I want to work in this sector and fulfil this job!
(edited 11 years ago)
And also, I will be doing AS/Alvl this September I assume
Reply 2
You will have to pay for your A Levels as you're only allowed one free level-three course. It will cost about £400-£600 per subject per year probably - the figures can vary significantly from college to college; you'd have to ask around.
Reply 3
College should be fine with it I think.

The only issue I see is if you don't have the minimum GCSE grade requirements you may not be able to get in.
E.g. If you want to take english, maths, chemistry and french you will usually need a b+ in each of those subjects at GCSE, regardless of your other qualification.
Reply 4
I am 20 and have just finished AS (will be undertaking A2 this September) my college have been incredibly supportive however I did have extenuating circumstances, alternatively, what about an Access Diploma? Also there are plenty of 'mature' students.
Original post by Garrow1564
I am 20 and have just finished AS (will be undertaking A2 this September) my college have been incredibly supportive however I did have extenuating circumstances, alternatively, what about an Access Diploma? Also there are plenty of 'mature' students.

I've checked out the Access Diplomas, unfortunately there seem to be none in my city's college or the the surrounding colleges.
Reply 6
Unfortunate though another pathway to consider may be BTECs a friend of mine did not do traditional A-levels but returned to college two years later to do BTECS. He is now at Newcastle University.
Original post by Garrow1564
Unfortunate though another pathway to consider may be BTECs a friend of mine did not do traditional A-levels but returned to college two years later to do BTECS. He is now at Newcastle University.

But what BTECS can I do that result in myself getting similar qualifications to this, I mean like, can you do BTEC maths or something? Minimum grades btw (Portsmouth): 240-280 points to include 160 points from a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent, including Mathematics plus Science or Technology subjects.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
It's never too late, you can do A-levels whenever you want

If I were you, I wouldn't bother enrolling into college, instead I'd opt for the "private candidate" option, with this option you can complete AS/A2 in 1 year aswell, so you can actually go to university next year if you're this determined, this is the most flexible option for older students, and AQA, OCR and Edexcel all accept private candidates aswell

But if you aren't too fussed about time, then you could always go for the conventional 2 year college route, but in my opinion I think getting yourself a tutor would be best, not only would it be 1-on-1 teaching so you're more likely to understand concepts with ease, you'd also have more time to work a normal job, so you can save up and pay for all these modules.

So basically, get a tutor, buy some text books, work your ass off, and then book yourself to sit the exams at a local examination centre for external candidates (your local college might even accept you for this), check the AQA, OCR and Edexcel websites for prices of modules

So you can complete your AS modules in January and your A2 modules in June, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if you're determined it's very possible, not to mention A-Level Chemistry and Maths are straightforward, none of this remembering pointless information and regurgitating it in exams, you learn methods and mechanisms and then you apply them, simple.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.
Original post by Rafiiki
It's never too late, you can do A-levels whenever you want

If I were you, I wouldn't bother enrolling into college, instead I'd opt for the "private candidate" option, with this option you can complete AS/A2 in 1 year aswell, so you can actually go to university next year if you're this determined, this is the most flexible option for older students, and AQA, OCR and Edexcel all accept private candidates aswell

But if you aren't too fussed about time, then you could always go for the conventional 2 year college route, but in my opinion I think getting yourself a tutor would be best, not only would it be 1-on-1 teaching so you're more likely to understand concepts with ease, you'd also have more time to work a normal job, so you can save up and pay for all these modules.

So basically, get a tutor, buy some text books, work your ass off, and then book yourself to sit the exams at a local examination centre for external candidates (your local college might even accept you for this), check the AQA, OCR and Edexcel websites for prices of modules

So you can complete your AS modules in January and your A2 modules in June, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if you're determined it's very possible, not to mention A-Level Chemistry and Maths are straightforward, none of this remembering pointless information and regurgitating it in exams, you learn methods and mechanisms and then you apply them, simple.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

It sounds very... Confusing? If I knew where to buy these things or had experience in doing this, I think I would do it. How much would this cost you? Buying the books, hiring a tutor etc? would I be seeing the tutor every day? It sounds very money orientated but I guess when you said you get a job it pays off for that.

Other problem is that I have been out of SCHOOL education for 3 years now, those were my last maths/chemistry lessons. I think I'l need a solid recap before starting A levels.
Reply 10
Original post by Dajaffer
It sounds very... Confusing? If I knew where to buy these things or had experience in doing this, I think I would do it. How much would this cost you? Buying the books, hiring a tutor etc? would I be seeing the tutor every day? It sounds very money orientated but I guess when you said you get a job it pays off for that.

Other problem is that I have been out of SCHOOL education for 3 years now, those were my last maths/chemistry lessons. I think I'l need a solid recap before starting A levels.

Ahh, that could be a bit of a problem, it might take a bit of adjusting and it's best not to overwhelm yourself

The reason I suggested you do it as a private candidate is because since you've already completed your first level 3 qualification, your second one won't be free, and you'd have to pay quite a bit, I'm not sure the exact price, but it's not exactly cheap

With the private candidate option, all you pay for is the modules them-self (the actual exam) and each module is reasonably priced, check the exam board websites for specific prices

The cost of a private tutor varies, some could charge £25 an hour, some could charge more/less, it depends where you live and what subject you are taking. You can see your tutor as often as you like, it's whenever you need to see your tutor and whatever time suits you.

As for text books, you've got ebay and amazon, you can pick up all the books you want for very low prices

Just weigh out all your options, speak to your college and find out how much it would cost you (and if it will even cost you) and just think about it

EDIT: This might be terrible advice and I recommend you take it with a pinch of salt, but I honestly think you could teach yourself everything you need to know. When I was doing A-levels, I got all of my information from the internet and 1 or 2 recommended text books, there's so many on-line resources, I didn't have a tutor and I was lazy in class but I still managed to do well in my exams, which ever exam board you choose to follow, you could go to their website and print off the specification and look at what it is you need to learn for the exams, and just take it from there

Though I do recommend there should be someone there for you just in case you have a question that you can't figure out yourself, whether it's a teacher in college or a private tutor
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rafiiki
Ahh, that could be a bit of a problem, it might take a bit of adjusting and it's best not to overwhelm yourself

The reason I suggested you do it as a private candidate is because since you've already completed your first level 3 qualification, your second one won't be free, and you'd have to pay quite a bit, I'm not sure the exact price, but it's not exactly cheap

With the private candidate option, all you pay for is the modules them-self (the actual exam) and each module is reasonably priced, check the exam board websites for specific prices

The cost of a private tutor varies, some could charge £25 an hour, some could charge more/less, it depends where you live and what subject you are taking. You can see your tutor as often as you like, it's whenever you need to see your tutor and whatever time suits you.

As for text books, you've got ebay and amazon, you can pick up all the books you want for very low prices

Just weigh out all your options, speak to your college and find out how much it would cost you (and if it will even cost you) and just think about it

EDIT: This might be terrible advice and I recommend you take it with a pinch of salt, but I honestly think you could teach yourself everything you need to know. When I was doing A-levels, I got all of my information from the internet and 1 or 2 recommended text books, there's so many on-line resources, I didn't have a tutor and I was lazy in class but I still managed to do well in my exams, which ever exam board you choose to follow, you could go to their website and print off the specification and look at what it is you need to learn for the exams, and just take it from there

Though I do recommend there should be someone there for you just in case you have a question that you can't figure out yourself, whether it's a teacher in college or a private tutor

Ok. thanks bro, your input definitely opened another choice of education up! I see it is possible. I think I'l go into college and ask for more advice this week. After all september is already here and need to get on something asap!

Quick Reply

Latest