Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i posted something similar to this but i realise it was in the wrong forum and I wasn't getting the best of replies concerning my situation. I just received my AS results and suffice to say, was seriously disappointed. I achieved ABBB. A in history, B in biology (2 UMS off A), a LOW B in chemistry and a LOW B in maths. Next year im doing History, biology and chem. As it stands my predictions will be AAB, but literally all my teachers have said I have no chance of getting into a uni for dentistry with a B prediction for chem as it is extremely crucial. They literally told me to give up and even change course, or take a gap year. a gap year is so out of the question for me, and would like to avoid it at all costs. I have a good personal statement full of 2 weeks of work experience at two different places and many other extra curricular activities. I got 6 a* and 5a's at gcse. I haven't done my ukcat yet; im sorry if im giving you an information overload but i would really like a measured response from someone, i just can't believe I would not be considered at all this year because of bad exam day. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrjjj)
    Hi, i posted something similar to this but i realise it was in the wrong forum and I wasn't getting the best of replies concerning my situation. I just received my AS results and suffice to say, was seriously disappointed. I achieved ABBB. A in history, B in biology (2 UMS off A), a LOW B in chemistry and a LOW B in maths. Next year im doing History, biology and chem. As it stands my predictions will be AAB, but literally all my teachers have said I have no chance of getting into a uni for dentistry with a B prediction for chem as it is extremely crucial. They literally told me to give up and even change course, or take a gap year. a gap year is so out of the question for me, and would like to avoid it at all costs. I have a good personal statement full of 2 weeks of work experience at two different places and many other extra curricular activities. I got 6 a* and 5a's at gcse. I haven't done my ukcat yet; im sorry if im giving you an information overload but i would really like a measured response from someone, i just can't believe I would not be considered at all this year because of bad exam day. Thanks
    Hi,

AAB is actually a good prediction for universities to see, and in all honesty, my predictions were something like AABC and everything worked out fine. So long as you have decent predicted grades (which you do), an outstanding personal statement, strong UKCAT and then above all you do good in your finals, there's nothing to say you won't succeed. This is because most universities (if not all) consider all aspects of an application, not just grades because they too appreciate that you can't define a person based on one bad exam day. Besides, some teachers are just 24/7 bundles of misery, don't take heed of unnecessary criticism, but get as much constructive criticism as you can.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dentistry:))
    Hi,

AAB is actually a good prediction for universities to see, and in all honesty, my predictions were something like AABC and everything worked out fine. So long as you have decent predicted grades (which you do), an outstanding personal statement, strong UKCAT and then above all you do good in your finals, there's nothing to say you won't succeed. This is because most universities (if not all) consider all aspects of an application, not just grades because they too appreciate that you can't define a person based on one bad exam day. Besides, some teachers are just 24/7 bundles of misery, don't take heed of unnecessary criticism, but get as much constructive criticism as you can.

Hope that helps.
    Could you tell me what your ukcat score was, and what unis you applied for? And any offers/rejections you got (sorry if i'm asking too much, would just put my mind at ease abit)

ReputationRep:
    I achieved ABBB at AS (first sitting all papers + resits doesnt really matter) and i received 2 interviews and 2 offers. so i guess you'll be fine, as long as other aspects of your application is strong Try getting more work experience, not just 2 weeks.
    Try to convince your teachers to predict you a bit higher, so it makes your application a bit easier for you. Predicted grades really matter tbh.. so try your best convincing them to raise your predicted grades! Most dental schools require at least AAA by the end of 2 years of A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqua05)
    I achieved ABBB at AS (first sitting all papers + resits doesnt really matter) and i received 2 interviews and 2 offers. so i guess you'll be fine, as long as other aspects of your application is strong Try getting more work experience, not just 2 weeks.
    Try to convince your teachers to predict you a bit higher, so it makes your application a bit easier for you. Predicted grades really matter tbh.. so try your best convincing them to raise your predicted grades! Most dental schools require at least AAA by the end of 2 years of A levels
    I'll try my very best to get that 3A prediction.. It just seems my school are very focused on making sure their predictions are accurate. I have another week of work experience to add soon. What unis gave you the interview and subsequent offer?

ReputationRep:
    Could you tell me what your ukcat score was, and what unis you applied for? And any offers/rejections you got (sorry if i'm asking too much, would just put my mind at ease abit)
    My UKCAT score was 679 and I applied to Barts & The London, KCL, Sheffield and Manchester. I had interviews at all of them, but was rejected by everyone but King's. My offer from King's was AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dentistry:))
    My UKCAT score was 679 and I applied to Barts & The London, KCL, Sheffield and Manchester. I had interviews at all of them, but was rejected by everyone but King's. My offer from King's was AAA
    What did you do to p1ss then off to get 3 post-interview rejections? :lol: Did you say something dodgy? At least you got an offer so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try my very best to get that 3A prediction.. It just seems my school are very focused on making sure their predictions are accurate. I have another week of work experience to add soon. What unis gave you the interview and subsequent offer?
    i got interviews and offers from manchester & liverpool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2012

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.