A Bit Confused But Mostly Curious Watch

Tutups
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all! *nervous first timer wave*

So what Ima do, I'm gonna give you a description of my situation and ask if anyone can shed any light on HOW I got my uni place...

I applied to university of Leicester to study History & American studies(Jointhons) and got a CONDITIONAL (Offer ABB inc history) which I accepted as my FIRM choice. My A2 results are listed below.

ENGLIT(AQA) A
GENSTUDIES (AQA) C
GOVT&POL (EdGCE) C
HISTORY (EDEXEL) B
EPQ (AQA) A*

I also have an E in AS Physics from last year.

Now by my reckoning I should have just missed out on the place but when I logged into track yesterday my place was already confirmed. Not that I'm complaining (actually I'm ecstatic) I'm just wondering why my yesterday wasn't spend running around in a flap calling admissions offices and stalking the UCAS site. I'm one of those people who never grew out of that stage of childhood where the only thing you did was ask "why?" So that's why I've posted this before wondering bugs me to death.

Please no negative remarks as I said I'm ecstatic with getting the place when clearly there are people who didn't and I'm not trying to annoy anyone in different circumstances to myself.

Thanks x
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
We've generally been seeing quite an increase in the numbers of people missing their offers but still universities taking them anyway this year - it's far from just a one off!
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bribery and corruption are possible reasons. Pity. Fear of retribution if rejecting you. In the real world, though, it will be a combination of some or all of the following: fewer applicants this year; compensating qualities of your EPQ; they liked your ps; sudden availability of extra places; many other people doing worse than you and so on.
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tutups)
Hi all! *nervous first timer wave*

So what Ima do, I'm gonna give you a description of my situation and ask if anyone can shed any light on HOW I got my uni place...

I applied to university of Leicester to study History & American studies(Jointhons) and got a CONDITIONAL (Offer ABB inc history) which I accepted as my FIRM choice. My A2 results are listed below.

ENGLIT(AQA) A
GENSTUDIES (AQA) C
GOVT&POL (EdGCE) C
HISTORY (EDEXEL) B
EPQ (AQA) A*

I also have an E in AS Physics from last year.

Now by my reckoning I should have just missed out on the place but when I logged into track yesterday my place was already confirmed. Not that I'm complaining (actually I'm ecstatic) I'm just wondering why my yesterday wasn't spend running around in a flap calling admissions offices and stalking the UCAS site. I'm one of those people who never grew out of that stage of childhood where the only thing you did was ask "why?" So that's why I've posted this before wondering bugs me to death.

Please no negative remarks as I said I'm ecstatic with getting the place when clearly there are people who didn't and I'm not trying to annoy anyone in different circumstances to myself.

Thanks x

(Original post by EierVonSatan)
We've generally been seeing quite an increase in the numbers of people missing their offers but still universities taking them anyway this year - it's far from just a one off!

(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Bribery and corruption are possible reasons. Pity. Fear of retribution if rejecting you. In the real world, though, it will be a combination of some or all of the following: fewer applicants this year; compensating qualities of your EPQ; they liked your ps; sudden availability of extra places; many other people doing worse than you and so on.
Is it not simply because A^*AB \geq ABB, or is EPQ not counted?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
Is it not simply because A^*AB \geq ABB, or is EPQ not counted?
I see from your sig that you are a mathematical kind of guy. Unfortunately these things are not black and white. It may have been that in this case, but it could have been a dozen other things. My old landlord as a student used to be a philosophy admissions tutor and he once admitted a student because he was the UK Tiddlywinks champion, or so he claimed. That was in the dark ages when a simple handshake was all that was needed to confirm your place, of course.

I jest, but really, it will have been for a number of different factors and we are only guessing.
Tutups
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
First off thanks for the ideas, I never realised PS or EPQ might carry that much weight to make or break an application!

Clarifications: (@Astronomical, that's a good point but I'm not sure how you mean it (see below) but thanks anyway)

At no time was I made aware that my EPQ would be taken as one of the ABB only that the uni looked favourably on it and to put it in my PS which I did.

I don't know if you mean pointswise but I thought the uni worked off grades not ucas points as the offer was worded as "ABB including history" with nothing like "or equivalent points". The uni profile on ucas said they accepted general studies and the prospectus (going waaay back to Oct last year now so memory is a bit rusty) indicated that equivalent points might be accepted and combining AS levels in place of one of three Alevels(only two) could also be done.

Thanks for the comments everyone I appreciate the time taken etc and ill pop back later to see if this post helped sparks anymore educated guesses x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads