graphical calculators? Watch

Julii92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all, I'm starting a math degree in September and I figure I should get a proper graphics calculator. It's easy enough to put those words into amazon but then there are different makes, different prices, etc. Are there any that people can particularly reccomend, or are they really all just the same?
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I bought a graphical calculator before first year and haven't ended up using it at all. This might be because I've taken more pure stuff than applied, but really there isn't much you can't do with a regular scientific calculator.
nuodai
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
I bought a graphical calculator before first year and haven't ended up using it at all. This might be because I've taken more pure stuff than applied, but really there isn't much you can't do with a regular scientific calculator.
Seconded, I didn't use a calculator for my entire undergraduate degree, and the chances of me using one in my masters are even lower!
lizz-ie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Julii92)
Hi all, I'm starting a math degree in September and I figure I should get a proper graphics calculator. It's easy enough to put those words into amazon but then there are different makes, different prices, etc. Are there any that people can particularly reccomend, or are they really all just the same?
I've recently bought one for A Level Further Maths, and got the TI83 calculator. I'd also advise you to buy one second hand off ebay, as I got mine for £20 when it would've been around £100 off of Amazon
Julii92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
Seconded, I didn't use a calculator for my entire undergraduate degree, and the chances of me using one in my masters are even lower!

(Original post by Hedgeman49)
Okay, well, I've been self studying from the A-level textbooks and I've often come across "draw the graph on a graphic calculator, what do you notice etc." type questions, so I assumed there would be more of this stuff to come, but maybe I'll have a rethink about whether it's necessary.

(Original post by lizz-ie)
I've recently bought one for A Level Further Maths, and got the TI83 calculator. I'd also advise you to buy one second hand off ebay, as I got mine for £20 when it would've been around £100 off of Amazon
I'll look into that, thanks
MattyJo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As far as I know you don't really need a calculator for university!
milienhaus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You don't need a calculator. You also definitely don't need a graphing calculator - draw the graphs yourself!
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't buy a graphical calculator, it will be a huge waste of money.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MattyJo)
As far as I know you don't really need a calculator for university!
You may well need a scientific calculator - we are allowed to use university-provided ones in stats exams and they are handy for getting a probability out at the end - and also in a methods course I took the lecturer was keen on getting nasty decimal trig answers. But those are the only times I have ever used one, most courses don't even contain numbers and those that do require numerical answers can be easily done in your head.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (957)
79.82%
Leave (242)
20.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed