Whats a gentle way of telling someone they really need to lose some weight? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i know a couple of people who are overweight, but one in particular is a problem. She is very obese, and the worst thing is she realises it. For example she was tagged in a bunch of photos from a holiday she just went on in an album of hundreds she only allowed herself to be tagged in a handful. She won't let anyone see the others, but the ones she is tagged in are all shots that mostly hide her body; long shots etc. She is clearly ashamed of herself but does nothing to deal with it.

She doesn't exercise and eats crap daily (she has visibly got worse in the past year as well). Also she does the almost stereotypical fat person thing of not wanting to date anyone else who is fat because they are unattractive.

So basically what is a nice way to get the message across that she needs to change her diet immediately? Honestly I wouldn't care if she hates me, just so long as she changes her ways.
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She knows she's fat, and knows that she'll have to change her lifestyle to alter that. Telling her that you've noticed she's fat is not going to solve her problem.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Let's go to the gym sometime"
amison
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At the risk of sounding like a bit of a prat, what does it actually have to do with you? Does this person being fat have a serious impact on your life?
Nadindi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I probably would have respected the sentiments of this thread a lot more if they had been more about possible concerns for your friend's health (health forum that this is) rather than an apparent attitude of disgust that she "doesn't exercise" and "eats crap", not to mention that you've labelled her as a "fat person" because of an apparent allusion to a stereotype that I've personally never heard of.

The Facebook thing of untagging from unattractive photos is something that most people do, as far as I'm aware.... hell, I know that I do! So I'd hesitate to label that as an obvious sign that she's "ashamed of herself".

I think that the first thing that you need to do is have a conversation with her about how she does feel about her weight, rather than leaping straight in there with trying to convince her to change the way she is.
Pinkhead
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amison)
At the risk of sounding like a bit of a prat, what does it actually have to do with you? Does this person being fat have a serious impact on your life?
Perhaps a little something called empathy?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Book three tickets when you go to the cinema.
username533239
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
This^
Podcaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
:rofl:
betty bungle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
tell them to eat some dust

call them fatty fatty fat fat
rizzl8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by betty bungle)
tell them to eat some dust

call them fatty fatty fat fat
or Tubby McFatFat
missygeorgia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's really none of your business.
amison
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pinkhead)
I understand entirely that it's not easy to have an individual in your life who is, quite frankly, eating themselves to death. From reading the OP, however, I'm struggling to sympathise with the poster too much. I'm not too comfortable with the fact that they refer to this person as a 'problem' and insist that the person needs to change their ways of eating 'immediately.' It appears as though the OP is purely concerned with the way they view the individual, rather than what the individual wants for themselves: to me, it seems that the problem is less that the individual is ashamed of themselves, much more likely that the OP is ashamed of the individual. Yes, it is ridiculous that people nowadays are just ballooning to ridiculous sizes and change does need to occur. But forcing someone to change when they're not willing to or just because you don't like their Facebook photos? Waste of time, energy and effort from the OP.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pinkhead)
that doesn't make sense!
izpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It seems a little pointless to tell her, since she clearly already realises.
IgorYakov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you don't get it, don't neg, don't look at it unless you've watched How I Met Your Mother, and this particular episode about a particular book :P

Its from How I Met Your Mother :P!
Purplestars1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, You'd look great in a size 10
Freak Out
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jimbo139)
She knows she's fat, and knows that she'll have to change her lifestyle to alter that. Telling her that you've noticed she's fat is not going to solve her problem.
This. She's already aware, why point out the obvious?...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed