The Student Room Group

Anyone out there on Co Cyprindiol? PCOS, Hirtism, Acne

So I've just been prescribed co cyprindiol for hirtism (facial hair growth) and was wondering if anyone else is also on it and can share their experience :smile:

It is also medication prescribed to severe acne sufferers and as a contraceptive pill. Any side effects that you guys have seen personally? I have been told that I shouldn't stay on this for more than 4 months due to a risk of blood clots, but I have also heard that it takes a year to see real reduction of hair growth!!

Any experiences you share will be appreciated!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm on Co Cyprindiol for spots and its fantastic. I was told there's a very low risk of clots and that the period you get isn't a real one and is just withdrawal bleeding so I prefer not to take a break from it & I find I'm less grumpy and don't get back ache or anything like that.

Just keep taking it and it should start to work and you'll be fine, you'll have to have reviews to check your blood pressure but it'll be fine.
Hey, my sister has PCOS and although I'm undiagnosed, I've heard it runs in families. I think I may have it as I have symptoms. I put on loads of weight when I hit puberty. I also had a problem with spots and facial hair although i'm on the pill now so the spots are a lot better. I take microgynon which works well for me. My sister takes Yasmin for PCOS although I think there is increased risk of bloodclots as it is stronger medication. Just thought I would tell you alternatives.

Hope this helps,

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks guys! I've just finished my first month and have noticed small differences in facial hair growth and my skin looks slightly better (had some huge spots I've never really had before though and have started eating healthy which may be a factor) and I did have some mood swings in the first week - But all in all I'm looking forward to the results in the coming months!
Btw I dont have PCOS :smile: just using this for hirtism
Reply 4
Hello!

I was on CoCyprindiol for a longgggg time for PCOS/spots/hairyness the whole package really :tongue:, and have actually just been taken off about two months ago as I had been taking it for so long that I reached the limit apparently.

I have to say personally it made a really big difference although the acne did noticebly improve a lot faster than anything else. The excess hair started to get better after 6 months (as in I could see a change) and now that I am off the medication onto a lighter one this has returned a bit as well so it must have made a fair bit of difference.

It is a strong drug and can have a number of side effects which increase the risk of blood clots. Again personally I was fortunate not to have any negative reactions and I although I was concerned about the risks at first my Dr told me that having been taking some form of hormone pill for a number of years that at this point if I was going to get one then I simply would.
I know this thread was posted a while back but I was just looking for some advice. I have recently been prescribed co-cyprindiol as a contraceptive, but I also suffer with a polycystic ovary and mild acne, I was wondering if anyone else with acne found that there acne got worse before it got better ? Mine has got worse but if its not going to improve I don't want to stay on it xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
in reply to sarah jane

i started co-cyprindol almost two months ago. i feel as if my spots have become SO SO SO SO much worse they are painful and really big. apparently it takes three months for your body to adjust to the chemicals. its still very depressing though!!

hopefully it will get better though *fingers crossed*
Reply 7
this is a reply for sarahJane as well, I was put on co cyprindol for acne (I do have some facial hair but I've enver been tested or anything for PCOS). I have been on it for just over five months and my acne never did get worse, it was improving from the very beginning. After month 3 I did have a major break out but it wasn't any worse than I was used to having. My facial hair is pretty much gone now (aka I have a normal amount of facial hair, like peach fuzz, no long, thick black hairs). Now my skin is very dry but I haven't got any pimples for about two months. Having said that, everyone reacts differently :smile:
Reply 8
hi, just been prescribed with this pill for acne on my face chest and back.

I have been taking it for 4 days now but now i am terrified about these side effects, i feel very sad and i think i am gaining weight! i am gutted as i am going on holiday in two weeks. I would love to eventually start a family when i am older. :frown: I do not have a clue what to do now. If I should come off? or stay on them?

This is a toughy because my skin is just starting to loose alot of oil! So maybe this is working for my acne? My mood is so low though and I have headache an nausea. Wish i Wasn't so vain, and that i could live with this acne but i cannot :/
Reply 9
Taking the pill does it not alter the chance of having a baby in the future ?
In reply to Nikky Nak,

Everyone is different, i only went on it cause of my skin starting to get worse from my previous pill, however, this pill dried up my skin, my lips, my arms, my neck, everywhere.
I got massive spots on my chin they became blister size, really hard and painful. This pill also made my hair thin, hedaches started to get worse, i got depressed i was angry all the time. My bofriend could do nothing right and i almost broke up with him.
I have gone up from 9 stone to 10 stone in about a year and a half because of the pill in general. My boobs became sooo big my sister told me they looked like "cow udders".
Anyway i only got of co-cyprindol for 3 months as thats when you are meant to see clear results but i saw nothing and it was just destroying me mentally and emotionally.
I have never been happier since i came off the pill, my body is now in full control of its own emotional state. i also love not having chemicals in my body that i can't control. Also i read loads of horror stories that when you come off the pill you suffer from terrible acne and i didnt want this for when im 30. Obviously everyone is different, just make sure that its worth the side effects for yourself. Acne is a horrible condition and i dont think its vain to try and get rid of it at all but there are better ways to do it you're having the terrible side effects from this pill.
Hi I had the worst acne ever, I have suffered from being a teen to 30!! I tried everything, peels, microdermabrasion, accurate, acne diets cutting sugar and dairy, it was sooooo upsetting I hated washing in the morning feeling my face, I have now been on co cyprindol for three months now and my acne has completely gone!! I haven't experienced any weigh gain or depression, I was so depressed with the acne and my self esteem was so low, everyone is different but I would give it a chance xxxx
Reply 12
Hi, I've been on it for a few weeks now to help with my Pecos hair growth and severe acne and my spots seem to be worse and so sore I'm a bit worried about the side effects but I've got 3months worth so I'l carry it on an keep my fingers crossed. I was prescribed metformin before and got pregnant with in 3 weeks of taking them which was a surprise as I didn't think I could have them because of the Pcos and never used birth control before. But after having my little girl my symptoms have got alot worse so I'm putting all my eggs in this last basket an praying it works. Good luck to all of u with it xxx
Reply 13
Since taking this I got severely depressed which I have never experience before, it's different for everyone but for me it did not work out. I was prescribed it for my spots which was mild acne I got the odd annoying few spots on my chin. After a month of taking Co Cyprindiol I noticed my mood change and not only that but my spots got considerably worse. Despite these side effects I carried on taking it to see if my skin would get any better, after two months I was covered in spots and my moods were constant. I was extremely sensitive and would cry over anything. I thought at one stage maybe it wasn't the pill but I was just going completely insane! Since coming off the pill after taking it for two months I am back to my normal happy self and realise it was infact the pill, it's different for everyone but incase anyone is having the same symptoms you're not the only one! I'd advise to come off it, it's taken about two weeks to get out of my system but I am so happy now that I no longer feel like that. I've now been prescribed yasmine for my spots but only been taking this a week so can't yet comment. My skin is still in a bad condition, hope this helps people.
I was put on it for acne. I found after 3 months that my acne was 10x worse I was totally covered in it and I found I was really moody and angry all the time. I also put on a stone and a half in weight cos I was always hungry. If your acne is getting worse and you've been on it a while I would stop it. I don't think that these pills work for everyone.
Good luck
Nicola
I was just wondering if this pill stops your periods because I've had this pill and I'm late for my period been a week now would really love a quick reply thankyou so much
Reply 16
I've been on it for two months and my hormone are everywhere one week I'm crying next I'm moody as hell not to sure if anybody else has the same problem but deoe ding on how your body reacts to it go for it my acne has started clearing up but my relationship Is on the verge of breaking.
I wonder if anyone could help me? Ive been using co cyprindiol for a month now first packet and a week ago I started getting stomach cramps like period ones that lasted me about a week. They have started to go now and I'm waiting for my period now it says 2-3 days and I'm on my 3rd day and still haven't come on. Is this normal? I'm worried
How long before you can have unprotected sex on co-cyprindiol?
Hiya

Just thought I'd share my view I've been on this pill since I was 16 I'm 24 now. I got diagnosed with pcos at 15. Never had facial hair but I had horrific skin and no periods. This pill has done wonders for my confidence. My skin is slightly scarred but no spots. I can even speak to people without hiding my head. I've tried Yasmin which gave me horrible pains and I tried the contraceptive patch which burnt me. I did have an 8 month gap from this and not much happened apart from my skin and hair being really oily.

Quick Reply

Latest