The Student Room Group

My dreadful AS results, advice needed please

I got an A in Psychology, a Distinction star in my ICT BTEC. But I got a D in Chemistry and a C in Biology.

I was expecting the D in Chemistry, because I was getting Ds in my unit 2 mocks, so that was expected. I got an E in unit 1, but I'm resitting that in January.

I got a C in Biology which I wasn't expecting, I'm with OCR. For unit 1 in January I got an A, then for unit 2 I got a B. I wasn't expecting a B because in all my mocks I was averaging 70s, and in the exam you needed 67/100 raw marks for an A, I got approximately 61. And then in my ISA, I only did it once and I got an E, I thought it went ok, but obviously I was wrong.

1) Is it worth me getting my Biology F212 remarked just incase, even if it goes down I'm not bothered because I want to resit it anyway.

2) I wanted to apply for Biomedical sciences and generally the grades needed are AAB, I don't know what I'll be predicted and now I don't know what will happen next year, for Chemistry I'll be lucky to get a C. I meant, can I still apply for biomed?

3) I want to do graduate entry into Medicine, so what degree would you say is best? I did really want to do Biomedical sciences, but now I'm considering a Biology degree instead... I don't know what degree will be better in terms of preparing me for Medicine and helping me get into the graduate course.

4) I am resitting Chemistry unit 1 in January, and I'll also have my 3 A2 exams. When should I resit my Biology unit 2 AS? Because I still want to try and get an A in Biology.

5) Does anyone have any advice about how to get a good grade in OCR Biology ISA's?

Please may you reply, it would be really appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by psychic123
I got an A in Psychology, a Distinction star in my ICT BTEC. But I got a D in Chemistry and a C in Biology.

I was expecting the D in Chemistry, because I was getting Ds in my unit 2 mocks, so that was expected. I got an E in unit 1, but I'm resitting that in January.

I got a C in Biology which I wasn't expecting, I'm with OCR. For unit 1 in January I got an A, then for unit 2 I got a B. I wasn't expecting a B because in all my mocks I was averaging 70s, and in the exam you needed 67/100 raw marks for an A, I got approximately 61. And then in my ISA, I only did it once and I got an E, I thought it went ok, but obviously I was wrong.

1) Is it worth me getting my Biology F212 remarked just incase, even if it goes down I'm not bothered because I want to resit it anyway.

2) I wanted to apply for Biomedical sciences and generally the grades needed are AAB, I don't know what I'll be predicted and now I don't know what will happen next year, for Chemistry I'll be lucky to get a C.

3) I want to do graduate entry into Medicine, so what degree would you say is best? I did really want to do Biomedical sciences, but now I'm considering a Biology degree instead... I don't know what degree will be better in terms of preparing me for Medicine and helping me get into the graduate course.

4) I am resitting Chemistry unit 1 in January, and I'll also have my 3 A2 exams. When should I resit my Biology unit 2 AS? Because I still want to try and get an A in Biology.

5) Does anyone have any advice about how to get a good grade in OCR Biology ISA's?

1. No-one can tell you whether to spend money on a remark or not. It's a judgement you will have to make. If you are resitting regardless, does seem pointless though.#
2. This isn't really a question.
3. GEM is extremely competitive. Doing a science related degree is your best bet. Both biomedical sciences and biology are obviously thus useful. The former is what most GEM students apply with.
4. Whenever you feel prepared for it.
Reply 2
Original post by psychic123

2) I wanted to apply for Biomedical sciences and generally the grades needed are AAB, I don't know what I'll be predicted and now I don't know what will happen next year, for Chemistry I'll be lucky to get a C. I meant, can I still apply for biomed?

Not true, I got accepted into DMU with 260 points, Leeds Met wanted 120 points from A levels.
You really don't need AAB. /:confused:
Reply 3
I took the same biology paper as you (unit2) and got the same mark! But anyway, why don't you consider psychology for university? You could try to push your chem and bio to a B by end of a2 and maybe have abb which is good enough for uni.

Edit: I was told I had a high B in my biology ISA and ended up scraping a D. Not sure how I fills in a table wrong?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by aliman65
I took the same biology paper as you (unit2) and got the same mark! But anyway, why don't you consider psychology for university? You could try to push your chem and bio to a B by end of a2 and maybe have abb which is good enough for uni.

Edit: I was told I had a high B in my biology ISA and ended up scraping a D. Not sure how I fills in a table wrong?

What the heck? :/ Well unfortunately my teacher's didn't tell me my grade but seriously :/ exactly I even revised for my ISA and stuff. I doubt I'll be able to push chem up to a B, as much as I want too. And I wanted to do biomed or biology because after I want to do graduate entry in to medicine. What did you get in biology overall?
I got similar results to this and am wondering the chance of getting conditional offers from good unis.

Or will I need to apply through clearing at the end of the year?

Quick Reply

Latest