Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some simple exercises I can do to get a slimmer and firmer bottom half! I'm a size 8, 5'6, roughly 8.5-9 stone. Fairly fit and healthy, just want my thighs and bum to be more toned.

I'm off to uni in September and will be joining the swimming pool and gym on campus, so advice on equipment would be useful as well as tips on exercises I can do myself at home.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Any help would be huuuuugely appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Squats of course! But swimming is really good fun and tones everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work on your bum/thighs then squats are always a winning exercise. Squats with low weights (or just your bodyweight) and a high number of reps (as opposed to high weight low reps) should help you tone, although I'm no expert and you're probably best off asking an instructor at your gym.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Squat. A weight you find challenging for 3 sets of 5 reps.

Spend a lot of time learning the form, it's quite a complex lift to get perfect.

(Original post by CocoPop)
    If you want to work on your bum/thighs then squats are always a winning exercise. Squats with low weights (or just your bodyweight) and a high number of reps (as opposed to high weight low reps) should help you tone, although I'm no expert and you're probably best off asking an instructor at your gym.

Hope that helps.
    Normally high reps would be better for size but: girls aren't going to put on much muscle either way so the proportional difference between high and low reps isn't as big as it is for guys and squats have a long ROM which helps to develop size due to the time spent under the bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Normally high reps would be better for size but: girls aren't going to put on much muscle either way so the proportional difference between high and low reps isn't as big as it is for guys and squats have a long ROM which helps to develop size due to the time spent under the bar.
    Fair enough - I actually use the 3x5 (starting strength) approach myself and it's worked really well. I just presumed that perhaps high reps/low weight would do more for toning and muscular endurance whereas low reps/high weight would do more for building muscle. Thanks for the info!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    Fair enough - I actually use the 3x5 (starting strength) approach myself and it's worked really well. I just presumed that perhaps high reps/low weight would do more for toning and muscular endurance whereas low reps/high weight would do more for building muscle. Thanks for the info!
    More reps will do more for muscular endurance but ultimately "toning" is simply building muscle and losing fat, and moderate reps with progressively heavier weight best builds muscle in newbies.

Losing fat takes place in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    Squats, if your unable/unwilling to pay to go to the gym then buy a kettle bell that is a suitable weight and do kettle bell swings. It will be best if you can get a couple of different weights as if you do it properly you will need to increase the weight you use.

ReputationRep:
    buying a few different weights of kettlebells will probably cost about the same as a gym membership anyways

ReputationRep:
    Squats, good mornings, lunges... actually there's a tonne of butt/thigh/hamstring exercises. Have you looked at the stickes?

ReputationRep:
    Sprinting, squats, deadlifts, lunges and GHR....you won't do any of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    More reps will do more for muscular endurance but ultimately "toning" is simply building muscle and losing fat, and moderate reps with progressively heavier weight best builds muscle in newbies.

+ repped !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Squats, good mornings, lunges... actually there's a tonne of butt/thigh/hamstring exercises. Have you looked at the stickes?
    Thanks for your suggestions What's the stickes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

I agree with you there, the thing is I already eat very healthily, I can't eat less as I'm already small, so I want to move on to do more exercise as I think I'll get better results if I combine exercise AND healthy eating. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise before but simply walking helps you tone up. For the last month I have been walking about 8 miles everyday (not by choice) but now I'm really happy because my legs/butt are supa dupa toned!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    What do you mean?
    Exactly as he said.

Some of those things are the absolute best exercises for what you're aiming for. Tragically, I have yet to see a woman get in a squat rack ever, let alone do a deadlift and I think that's what he's conveying to you.

To be fair, there does seem to be some sort of misconception from women that as soon as they step off the treadmill and into the weights section that they're going to suddenly develop arms the size of tree trunks or something ridiculous. Then again, I don't blame them for not wanting to be there, they're pretty intimidating with the testosterone majority, all the grunting and scarily large weights.

End of the day, message is this: If you want it bad enough, go and do WHATEVER it takes to go and get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidhogg_Rider)
    Exactly as he said.

Some of those things are the absolute best exercises for what you're aiming for. Tragically, I have yet to see a woman get in a squat rack ever, let alone do a deadlift and I think that's what he's conveying to you.

To be fair, there does seem to be some sort of misconception from women that as soon as they step off the treadmill and into the weights section that they're going to suddenly develop arms the size of tree trunks or something ridiculous. Then again, I don't blame them for not wanting to be there, they're pretty intimidating with the testosterone majority, all the grunting and scarily large weights.

End of the day, message is this: If you want it bad enough, go and do WHATEVER it takes to go and get it.
    Sprinting, squats and lunges - 3/5 of his suggestions - either I already do them or have done them regularly in the past. I was just hoping for some more suggestions I may not have tried :rolleyes: Also, you don't need a rack to do squats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    Sprinting, squats and lunges - 3/5 of his suggestions - either I already do them or have done them regularly in the past. I was just hoping for some more suggestions I may not have tried :rolleyes: Also, you don't need a rack to do squats?
    But have you done them recently, regularly and with weights(obviously not sprinting with weights)? Doing a few half asred lunges while copying an exercise video isn't going to get any decent results, neither is if the last time you sprinted was playing hockey when you was 14.

Out of those listed I would say sprinting is socially the least accepted one to do, unless you do it on a track. When I go up to the park and do sprints people just look at me in shock(probably awe, thinking about it) and think I'm a right weirdo, but wouldn't bat an eye lid at a jogger.

Even just sprinting up the stairs lots of time, doing 2 steps at a time will help you out a lot, will get a nice stretch on your glutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    Definitely - Combined with spinning (heavy resistance 5/6 days) I have never seen my legs develop such great shape so quickly!

Also love doing barbell dead-lifts, but you may want to find a secluded place to do this as some of the creepy gym freaks think it's okay to stop and stare at your bum when you do this - shudder!

I also love combining curtsey squats with regular squats - but be careful with your knees
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzq0JzM2NM (I add a side leg raise on the end, this really tightened up the appearance of the top sides of my thighs).

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.