Turn on thread page Beta

Did anyone need to hire a van to take their belongings to Uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i've just got into Uni and I was thinking of what I would possibly be taking with me. I live a couple of hours drive away from the Uni so I will be able to return and get more stuff at some point, but is it something anyone has actually done?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's highly unlikely your halls room will have space for a vanload's worth of stuff to be honest so it's unlikely to be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    lol a van, are you kidding?

ReputationRep:
    No, but my dad had to lend an estate car from work.

ReputationRep:
    if you turn up to halls with a van your hallmates will think you are one of those room hiders/ immature kid who needs all their home comforts or both.

wtf

ReputationRep:
    one of the funnies threads i've read on here.

ReputationRep:
    Having moved in freshers for the last 3 years I can categorically state that I never saw a van but I did see some people come in 2 cars.

I would be surprised if you could fit that much stuff in your room to be honest. Even after 4 years at uni it only took me 2 car loads to move everything home which included furniture and 8 musical instruments including a full size electric piano and also a bike!

ReputationRep:
    I think a van's a bit much tbh...you really don't need that much stuff for uni

ReputationRep:
    Uni rooms arent that big..

Just pack everything you need and then see what size/ number of vehicles you need. No point hiring a van then realising you couldve fit it all into a car.

ReputationRep:
    I loaded my stuff into my dads van and he took me there. Not like a moving van though...
    Having said that, I did see one girl at York uni (when visiting bf) moving her stuff out with the help of a moving company & van o.O

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough guys! It was my dad's suggestion, not mine, and I was only talking of a transit sized vehicle not a full blown removals lorry. We only have a medium sized hatchback but i'm sure it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    No, but a 4x4 is very handy - I was very lucky as I was driven the 5 hour journey there with my stuff in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natwaah)
    Basically i've just got into Uni and I was thinking of what I would possibly be taking with me. I live a couple of hours drive away from the Uni so I will be able to return and get more stuff at some point, but is it something anyone has actually done?
    I did! To be fair I was going from Northern Ireland to Scotland, so wasn't possible to pop back home to get more stuff, also mum and dad's car at the time was a Peugeot 106 and with 3 people in it there wasn't much space left! And there was someone else from my town going to the same uni, so we took lots of her stuff too. But worked out really well in the end, and I saw quite a few rental vans around.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see everyone being so supportive.
    I've seen a few people on this site talking about renting/using a van to move their stuff. I imagine a van would make it easy as you don't have to play Tetris with your stuff to fit it all in, besides it's not like you have to fill the thing completely.
    My mum's going to be renting a Ford Focus or something like that. She uses them at work and knows she can fit loads in it so it should be good enough (especially when the back seats are folded down).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    ...the van would probably be bigger than my room

ReputationRep:
    A vanload of stuff in the average halls room would have the effect of raising the floor by a couple of feet. Check the halls don't require you to empty your rooms in the holidays as well. There's an old saying, 'The more you know, the less you need.' Works well in the context of university residences.

ReputationRep:
    A normal sized car should hold everything you need. Uni rooms do come furnished, y'know, and they're not that big. It's unlikely that you'll have space for any of your own furniture.

Bear in mind that you will accumulate stuff over the course of a year - I definitely needed a bigger car to get everything home in, because over the course of the year I'd added everything from cupcake tins to a bike to my collection of assorted stuff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2012
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.