The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadab786ahmed
And I know it'd be an ion.. -.- god.. I'm saying why, in their pure states with no bonds or interactions with other atoms or elements... Is it neutral?

It's not proven... Yet :wink: but look at my post about the moon :tongue: thats cool...

A proton and an electron? I don't get this, + - cancel each other out? What is the question, gaah, it's neutral because. reasons.
Original post by tara8000
All atoms are neutral because otherwise they're called ions...

I'd assume because electons are negatively charged, and protons positive, they still give off a charge, cancelling out doesn't strip them of their charge, for if they were to break away, those parts would still have it, but neutralises it. So they're neutrally charged.

OMG, I'm not sure I entirely know what I'm talking about... but I hope this makes sense XS

Oh god... Do you guys think I'm *that* stupid....

To clarify I know if they're charged they're ions...

I'm asking:

Why are atoms neutral in their pure form without any bonds or interactions...
Original post by MangoFreak
It's no more cool than the tectonic nature of earth :lolwut:

No, that's a layer, the whole.earth wasn't split into two halves and rejoined..

Original post by dinrah04
A proton and an electron? I don't get this, + - cancel each other out? What is the question, gaah, it's neutral because. reasons.

I know that... Don't worry no one can answer...

Anyway night guys... I'm bleeding, have a headache and my bones are all clicking... -_-
Oh god... Do you guys think I'm *that* stupid....

To clarify I know if they're charged they're ions...

I'm asking:

Why are atoms neutral in their pure form without any bonds or interactions...

You don't seem to understand: WE DON'T KNOW. I don't even think most scientists know.
You don't seem to understand: WE DON'T KNOW. I don't even think most scientists know.

Finally, that's the answer... :redface: why couldn't you just say that in the first place, instead of telling me it would be an ion :lol: :rofl:

Neither was the moon! :lolwut:

Anyway night guys... I'm bleeding, have a headache and my bones are all clicking... -_-

An atom is a definition, if it wasn't as we'd define it then it would be what it was.
:rofl:

But why do they start off neutral? In a pure state without any bonds..?

But they don't do they? I thought some atoms were discovered as ions, or part of a compound/molecule.... I think maybe the atom of a substance is were the electons balance out the protons, and as long as it exists it's written down... IDEK... Plus, the atom isn't entirely happy, is it? I mean, it's great as far as it's charge is, nice and neutral, but then there still may not be enough electrons in it's outer ring to feel complete :frown:.... I think what I'm trying to say is, they don't always, but can be recorded that way.
ICK, I'm sorry if I'm wrong... I have done any physics since the end of school :/

OMG WHY DIDN'T I CATCH UP WITH THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING THIS... I feel I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick... surely pure atoms are neutral because they've an equal amount of protons and electrons? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Finally, that's the answer... :redface: why couldn't you just say that in the first place, instead of telling me it would be an ion :lol: :rofl:

Once you clarified your weird question, I DID SAY THAT :colonhash:

Yeah it was :wink: check the images... An astronaut heard about it and when he saw the moon he converted... Or so I heard... :smile:

Original post by dinrah04
An atom is a definition, if it wasn't as we'd define it then it would be what it was.

Ooh, good answer, I like it :tongue:
Once you clarified your weird question, I DID SAY THAT :colonhash:

Yeah, I know... But then they carried on replying you said you didn't know... So I replied to them.. And then you replied to my reply to their reply... :colonhash:
Original post by tara8000
But they don't do they? I thought some atoms were discovered as ions, or part of a compound/molecule.... I think maybe the atom of a substance is were the electons balance out the protons, and as long as it exists it's written down... IDEK... Plus, the atom isn't entirely happy, is it? I mean, it's great as far as it's charge is, nice and neutral, but then there still may not be enough electrons in it's outer ring to feel complete :frown:.... I think what I'm trying to say is, they don't always, but can be recorded that way.
ICK, I'm sorry if I'm wrong... I have done any physics since the end of school :/

OMG WHY DIDN'T I CATCH UP WITH THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING THIS... I feel I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick... surely pure atoms are neutral because they've an equal amount of protons and electrons? :s-smilie:

Now that's a good answer too I guess... If it is def right...

:O why are you bleeding??!

haha xD it won't let me rep you.. but it's the thought that counts, right? :L :wink:
Original post by SarcasticComplex
:O why are you bleeding??!

Oh, dont ask.. :frown:

Anyway, I'm going to go before MangoFreak decides to despise my presence... Even more :colondollar: :tongue:

Anyway, I'm going to go before MangoFreak decides to despise my presence... Even more :colondollar: :tongue:

no, wait... i am asking... text me ?? :L

Good choice :colonhash: :lol:
Original post by SarcasticComplex
no, wait... i am asking... text me ?? :L

Meh...

Anyway, I know you'll just read the bit where it says "interpreted as an optical illusion" but oh well, shed some light on it I guess...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_of_the_moon#section_1
Good choice :colonhash: :lol:

In that case, I'm staying! -.- put me on your ignore list :tongue:
No, that's a layer, the whole.earth wasn't split into two halves and rejoined.

Wasn't Mango saying that the tectonic theory is as COOL as the moon splitting? as in like awesomeness... or have I missed something? :s-smilie:

Latest