A level Maths, tips for success Watch

Graham 14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello Everyone,

In September, I will begin studying my a levels that comprise of AS Fine Art, AS Interior and 3D Design, AS Mathematics (Mechanics) and AS Geography with an intention to study architecture at university and subsequently become an architect and a designer. However, I have heard a level maths is hard and difficult but i aspire to confront this challenge and succeed in a level maths (which opens up lot's of schools of architecture to study at such as bath), any ideas on how to prepare and succeed in a level maths?
Joshmeid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A-Level maths is not hard if you put the time and effort into it, if you're lazy about it, expect low grades..
This Honest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://examsolutions.co.uk/
^This site helped me throughout my AS and A2 maths :adore:
i_like_cheese
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Trignometric diffrentiation is a b***h. Make sure you nail it.

In all siriusness though, just study a little every day, even if its 5 questions. Maths comes with practice and not by practicing what you know. Work on what you don't know.

And kill Trig diff
Alexa121
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maths is difficult if you don't try your best. Most of the questions are similar on each paper and only worded differently especially in mechanics. If you get stuck ask a teacher for help because especially in core 3 and 4 they combine different topics and often have 7 to 9 mark questions with no help. Do lots and lots of practice papers! Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Bham
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just got an A star in my Maths alevel - you do need to work. Try to do every question in the text book, and when you get one wrong, re do it. Good luck!
multiplexing-gamer
Report 6 years ago
As somebody rightly said - examsolutions.co.uk . He's really good at explaining concepts as he starts from the beginning and explains why he's done everything. I could understand various A-level concepts in year 11 as he's an exceptionally good teacher.
kingkongjaffa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
use the text books they give you, do every question in the book, then do every past paper.

I did every past paper question from 05 to 11 first by question type then as a full paper.

and got 90/100 and 100/100 in C1 and C2 respectively.
Denacio
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't try and fluke it like I did, it doesn't work! Revise, revise, revise!
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
www.examsolutions.co.uk

I'm in year ten, going into year eleven, and I've learnt C1-4 along with a book
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
arguably the easiest A level out there. Take further maths if you want another easy A.
nacho1996
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in year 11 and got an A in my mats GCSE. I plan to take maths and physics for A-Levels. They both took me a lot of work to get the GCSE as they are subjects that don't come easy to me but I do enjoy them and am willing to put the work in. Is the maths for a-level really hard or is it stuff you can work at to learn? And is there quite a lot of cross over between maths and physics because I know they are quite similar in ways.
nacho1996
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in year 11 and got an A in my maths GCSE. I plan to take maths and physics for A-Levels. They both took me a lot of work to get the GCSE as they are subjects that don't come easy to me but I do enjoy them and am willing to put the work in. Is the maths for a-level really hard or is it stuff you can work at to learn? And is there quite a lot of cross over between maths and physics because I know they are quite similar in ways.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nacho1996)
I'm in year 11 and got an A in my mats GCSE. I plan to take maths and physics for A-Levels. They both took me a lot of work to get the GCSE as they are subjects that don't come easy to me but I do enjoy them and am willing to put the work in. Is the maths for a-level really hard or is it stuff you can work at to learn? And is there quite a lot of cross over between maths and physics because I know they are quite similar in ways.
You just need to understand the concepts, if you do that then it becomes a lot easier
MechaniCs and Physics link a lot in terms of exams, bit Physics is applied maths, and you will be using quite a bit of it..
arandomstudent
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nacho1996)
There aren't really any easy A-levels. If you enjoy an A-level however it makes it much easier to motivate yourself to revise for it. Physics is surprisingly not that hard, I've just finished AS and got an A in both exams, however you need to nail practical skills, those marks really add up.

You need to be revising THROUGHOUT the year if you want to get good grades. If you want to be getting As I would seriously recommend learning and going through the topics before you learn them in class then again after you've learnt them in class. Don't leave it all to A2 like I did...
Graham 14
Rep:
?
Is there anything I can do in these summer holidays, to prepare for it?
sebsy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just do as many questions as you can to practice. I think for S1 I genuinely did every paper available to me about 4 times just to make sure I knew it. Knowing what type of questions come up will help. So do all the past papers that you can
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Graham 14)
Is there anything I can do in these summer holidays, to prepare for it?
Use the websites look at past papers, but don't start them until you understand concepts
gideongaspard
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by This Honest)
http://examsolutions.co.uk/
^This site helped me throughout my AS and A2 maths :adore:
about to start sixth form too WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS that site is very helpful, I will use it well in the next 2 years. Thanks.
Do you have site for chemistry and physics?
Graham 14
Rep:
?
Should I revise all of gcse maths in preparation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (117)
24.63%
The paper was reasonable (211)
44.42%
Not feeling great about that exam (88)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
12.42%

Watched Threads