A level Maths, tips for success Watch

nacho1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arandomstudent)
There aren't really any easy A-levels. If you enjoy an A-level however it makes it much easier to motivate yourself to revise for it. Physics is surprisingly not that hard, I've just finished AS and got an A in both exams, however you need to nail practical skills, those marks really add up.

You need to be revising THROUGHOUT the year if you want to get good grades. If you want to be getting As I would seriously recommend learning and going through the topics before you learn them in class then again after you've learnt them in class. Don't leave it all to A2 like I did...
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to revise throughout the year like you said because I know some people wait and cram then fail where as learning and revising bit by but has got to be the easier option. Also congratulations on your A
This Honest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gideongaspard)
about to start sixth form too WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS that site is very helpful, I will use it well in the next 2 years. Thanks.
Do you have site for chemistry and physics?
:lol: I think I found that site from TSR or myself when I was starting C1
If you do edexcel chemistry or AQA: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ and http://www.khanacademy.org/
:yes:
I didn't do physics.
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey people, i got a B in GCSE maths due to heavy procrastination. Do you think i have a chance doing well at A level if i work really hard.
prophecy~
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chelseafan)
Hey people, i got a B in GCSE maths due to heavy procrastination. Do you think i have a chance doing well at A level if i work really hard.
Of course.
moorbre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do EVERY past paper before each exam helped me get my A in A2 and As Maths
Graham 14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I also achieved a grade b for gcse maths, I'm willing to work hard, but will I be able to succeed in a level maths?
ayseta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Solomon papers are great, usually harder than past papers. If you can do those fine, the normal papers are fine and fairly predictable
Rainingshame
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by i_like_cheese)
Trignometric diffrentiation is a b***h. Make sure you nail it.

In all siriusness though, just study a little every day, even if its 5 questions. Maths comes with practice and not by practicing what you know. Work on what you don't know.

And kill Trig diff
trig differentiation is easy, chain rune plus remembering:
s c -s -c s
<integrate
>differentiate
add on that tan differentiates to sec^s2 and bob's your uncle
cooldudeman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by This Honest)
http://examsolutions.co.uk/
^This site helped me throughout my AS and A2 maths :adore:
i hardly went to my college lessons but that web made me get my grades.
cooldudeman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Graham 14)
Should I revise all of gcse maths in preparation?
god no! A level maths is only like half of gcse. most of gcse is stats.
Prepotency
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
Graham 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prepotency)
No.
Really?, I thought that's what you do?
Frampoid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chelseafan)
I went into A-level maths with a B in GCSE, my prediction for my AS year was a D, got a B in as level and turned that into an A for A-level.

My point is it's not impossible to do well, but you will really need to work hard, and just make sure you understand all the concepts as they're taught to you, going back to pieces of the course at the end of the year and trying to understand them can be difficult, and I speak from experience
Graham 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frampoid)
I went into A-level maths with a B in GCSE, my prediction for my AS year was a D, got a B in as level and turned that into an A for A-level.

My point is it's not impossible to do well, but you will really need to work hard, and just make sure you understand all the concepts as they're taught to you, going back to pieces of the course at the end of the year and trying to understand them can be difficult, and I speak from experience
Was it hard at first?
Benniboi1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
about to start sixth form too WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS that site is very helpful, I will use it well in the next 2 years. Thanks.
Physics & Maths;

http://www.astarmathsandphysics.com/

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/ (this one is chemistry too)

http://www.khanacademy.org/
MikeySwansea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No need to do this. I started AS Maths in September at the age of 20 after 4 years out of education. Just get stuck into C1 and work hard and you will be fine. I noticed that at my college some people were almost scared to ask for help and they fell behind.

Just make sure you keep up with everything in class. I did this and on Thursday I got 298/300 in AS Maths
LastHype
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do every past paper as much as you can, because they are basically the same every year. Also, don't try and prepare for the comprehension, and get 18/18 on your C3 C/W.
Benniboi1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Really?, I thought that's what you do?
It depends, did you find GCSE Maths very easy? If yes then I don't think you'll gain much from revision, just work hard from the start at A-level and make sure you get everything. Make sure you start looking at past papers by mid November (I'd say even look at them earlier - familiarise yourself with the style of the questions), that's if you're doing some modules in January.

If you didn't find it easy at GCSE then it might be worth doing some revision of the things you found hardest.
Existentialistic
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This website is pretty decent for physics:

http://www.physicshelp.co.uk/index.php
f1mad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP, make sure you understand what is going on and not just rote learn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (353)
30.7%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (198)
17.22%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.09%

Watched Threads