The Student Room Group

Avoiding mugging?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NB_ide
Stop blaming the victim. You guys and all the others. What's your ****ing problem, theft is WRONG. How about we tell people to stop mugging others instead of telling the victims that it's their fault?

Oh ok.

Dear Muggers,

Please don't mug the OP. Or anyone.

Yours lovingly,
InnerTemple
Reply 61
When I was much younger three chavs came up and surrounded me and a friend. They told me to give them my wallet, and I said no. They asked again and I said no. They didn't touch me at any point. They then asked me friend if they could "see his phone". He promptly handed it over, they said thanks and ran off.

I doubt a mugging is going to go from the first request to knife/gun action right away, and many will probably give up if you refuse to comply. I might be wrong but most casual mug-***** don't pull a weapon out immediately as they make their first demand. Most probably don't even carry a weapon. IMO it can be worth standing up to them at first and see what happens. If it gets rougher, you can always submit at a later stage.
Reply 62
Original post by Barden
Krav Maga's supposed to be best for when your assailant is armed and you aren't, I believe.

Trust me it takes years of training in an useful martial art before you can actually fight well in a real situation.
Reply 63
Original post by NB_ide
Stop blaming the victim. You guys and all the others. What's your ****ing problem, theft is WRONG. How about we tell people to stop mugging others instead of telling the victims that it's their fault?

Well you might as well tell people to leave there doors wide open at night while you sleep.
Reply 64
The best ways to avoid mugging are to minimise the behaviours that might put you at risk of it. This means generally trying to avoid walking late at night in dangerous neighbourhoods, or walking on the side of paths closer to the road to make it harder for a person to jump out at you. Aside from minimising risk however, you still might be mugged, or you might not even be reasonably able to avoid certain dangerous areas.

When you are mugged, it's important to stay calm and judge your situation. Are they armed? Do you think you can outrun them? Are there people around that you can call for help to and attract attention? For situations when you can't do any of these things, I advocate carrying a second wallet or purse with only a small amount of money contained (coins are fine) - though this is easier to carry around for women that have a handbag than men unless you have a backpack, etc. Take out your fake wallet and tell the mugger(s) "fine, you take it, that's all I have" or similar, and throw it to the side, away from you and the mugger(s) - they will go to collect it and check the contents, which usually will allow you enough time to escape, or phone the police, find a passerby, etc., and diminish their incentive to pursue you unless they have a particular interest in something else you have (i.e. a phone).

Handing over your other posessions is not always avoidable, however. If your physical well-being becomes at risk, then you may judge that your best option is to capitulate, depending on the value of what it is you are carrying.

Be careful attempting martial arts defensively unless you are reasonably sure that you will come out on top, or you are forced into it (i.e. they attacked first). If there are a pair of them and you harm one of them, they will likely feel a social pressure to avoid having been injured without giving a reply.

Original post by Barden
Krav Maga's supposed to be best for when your assailant is armed and you aren't, I believe.

It's good for unarmed assailants as well, but people should be careful with it. If it's not toned down then it's not always going to be compatible with UK law, which only accepts one's use of 'reasonable' force against the attacker. Krav maga was developed for military application where that kind of limitation doesn't necessarily apply, and if your instinctive reactions are going to leave the mugger severely injured, then the law might not look too kindly on you - even if he was trying to take your wallet.
Reply 65
Original post by miser
The best ways to avoid mugging are to minimise the behaviours that might put you at risk of it. This means generally trying to avoid walking late at night in dangerous neighbourhoods, or walking on the side of paths closer to the road to make it harder for a person to jump out at you. Aside from minimising risk however, you still might be mugged, or you might not even be reasonably able to avoid certain dangerous areas.

When you are mugged, it's important to stay calm and judge your situation. Are they armed? Do you think you can outrun them? Are there people around that you can call for help to and attract attention? For situations when you can't do any of these things, I advocate carrying a second wallet or purse with only a small amount of money contained (coins are fine) - though this is easier to carry around for women that have a handbag than men unless you have a backpack, etc. Take out your fake wallet and tell the mugger(s) "fine, you take it, that's all I have" or similar, and throw it to the side, away from you and the mugger(s) - they will go to collect it and check the contents, which usually will allow you enough time to escape, or phone the police, find a passerby, etc., and diminish their incentive to pursue you unless they have a particular interest in something else you have (i.e. a phone).

Handing over your other posessions is not always avoidable, however. If your physical well-being becomes at risk, then you may judge that your best option is to capitulate, depending on the value of what it is you are carrying.

Be careful attempting martial arts defensively unless you are reasonably sure that you will come out on top, or you are forced into it (i.e. they attacked first). If there are a pair of them and you harm one of them, they will likely feel a social pressure to avoid having been injured without giving a reply.

Stop blaming the victim! It's a MYTH that walking around dodgy areas alone at night makes you more likely to get mugged. The fact is that mugging is the fault of the mugger, not the victim. This has been proven.

Similarly, people have the right to display their possessions however they want. It's for their own enjoyment, and does NOT give anyone the right to mug them!

I am so sad when I see posts like yours.
Original post by mr j man
Lol I have been mugged and it isn't so bad. I just ran off and threw my bag at them so they had something. I then tailed them while calling police. I got my stuff back within ten minutes and I caught some criminals. A job well done.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Good for you. Most people aren't so lucky. Way to make the rest of us feel like crap.
Original post by NB_ide
Stop blaming the victim! It's a MYTH that walking around dodgy areas alone at night makes you more likely to get mugged. The fact is that mugging is the fault of the mugger, not the victim. This has been proven.

Similarly, people have the right to display their possessions however they want. It's for their own enjoyment, and does NOT give anyone the right to mug them!

There's a difference between victim blaming and taking sensible precautions. Everyone knows that it's sensible to avoid walking by yourself in dark areas at night with your valuables.

And yes, I have been mugged. So I'm not a victim blamer.
Reply 68
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Good for you. Most people aren't so lucky. Way to make the rest of us feel like crap.

Am just showing that it doesn't always have to end bad if you take precautions to get your stuff back.
Am just showing that it doesn't always have to end bad if you take precautions to get your stuff back.

Chasing your muggers to get your stuff back is very stupid. If you're going to do that you may as well refuse to hand it over. The whole point of handing your stuff over is to avoid being hurt.
Reply 70
Original post by cyfer
Sounds pathetic but does anyone have any tips to avoid mugging?

I'm not talking about things such as not using your phone if you're out at 1 am but if anyone has more advanced tips, it would be welcome.

I've just got an expensive phone for the first time in my life so previously I've never worried about being mugged because I generally don't have £20 worth of items on my person at any one time.

Thanks.

Carry a baseball bat with you.
Reply 71
There's a difference between victim blaming and taking sensible precautions. Everyone knows that it's sensible to avoid walking by yourself in dark areas at night with your valuables.

So you think just because someone is walking alone and holding an expensive phone, it's their fault if they get mugged?

And yes, I have been mugged. So I'm not a victim blamer.

You're a victim AND a victim-blamer.
Reply 72
Chasing your muggers to get your stuff back is very stupid. If you're going to do that you may as well refuse to hand it over. The whole point of handing your stuff over is to avoid being hurt.

Obviously if you can't run it is not advisable, particularly if your pregnant.
Reply 73
buy a gun and shoot the mofos in the face
Reply 74
Assuming you're not a muscle man seprate things like money, and phones and cards. Keep money in the wallet like a normal person put your phone in your sock and if you get mugged hand over the money and keep the important stuff.
they ask for your stuff, throw it on the floor in front of u, when they bend down, kick them in the face...gameover
Reply 76
I remember when some youths attempted to mug me in March of this year and I ended up dislocating my shoulder due to it. Muggings don't always happen at dark or in dodgy areas take my example, I was walking through the park at 5pm, where there were at least 50 people in close proximity to the event either playing cricket or walking in/out the park. I had my headphones in and then two youths walk up behind me and start asking me to give them my phone. I replied no, then tried to walk away with no trouble or anything as I thought that they would leave due to there being so many people in the park. I was wrong, they grabbed by backpack to stop me walking, I knew that they wouldn't stop now so I thought I may aswell defend myself, so I swung towards one of the guys and hit him hard, this left me defenseless as the other guy grabbed my arm that I threw a punch with and tripped me up, at which point I had dislocated my shoulder. I was defenseless more than ever, and this is the point they decided to threaten me by saying 'give me your phone or I will shank you', I took a chance and I still didn't give them my phone, thankfully they didn't have a knife. Then after this struggle they ran away. This all happened with about 30+ people watching the event and doing s**t all about it. Morale of this story, don't trust anyone and be ready to defend yourself, if they see that you are defenseless they will pounce on you.
Reply 77
Original post by NB_ide

I don't blame anyone. What I am talking about is minimising risk.
Original post by NB_ide
So you think just because someone is walking alone and holding an expensive phone, it's their fault if they get mugged?

You're a victim AND a victim-blamer.

No, it is never anybody's fault that they get mugged, but there are certain precautions you can take to minmialise the risk of it happening - it's called being sensible.

I am definitely not a victim blamer - you're just pushing an admirable, but ultimatley naive point. It would be wonderful if we could all go about our lives without fear of attack but that is just impossible - so we must take every precaution possible to lower the risk of it happening. The same way, to lower your risk of being hit by a car, you look both ways before crossing the street.
Obviously if you can't run it is not advisable, particularly if your pregnant.

I'd say it's not advisable at all - I don't know where your pregnancy example came from. For example, I wouldn't care if I was a trained martial arts practitioner, I would not go running after the three guys that mugged me. You don't know what they have, you don't know how many friends of theirs are hanging round the corner, and when people get cornered and desperate, they lash out. You can replace phones and debit cards - it's not worth risking being beaten up or worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending