Applying to Uni with ABBC at AS Watch

rlrt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I know there have been a few of these but I couldn't quite find one like mine exactly...
I am hoping to do Classics/Classical Studies at uni, thinking about Exeter, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh etc but I'm not sure my AS grades are good enough:
A: Classical Civilisation
B: Latin, 4 ums of an A so will hopefully retake
B: English, again 4 ums off an A but I'm dropping it
C: History, 2 ums off an B so will probably retake

Will I realistically get an offer from any of these universities, especially as I won't have been able to bump up my grades with retakes by the time I apply?
amineamine2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well if you get the predicted grades you need, then surely those AS results would be fine. Were we speaking Ds and Es with an AAA prediction then the situation would be dodgy.
Philzy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Those results are good, just re-take some exams and work hard. Year 13 is where you really pick up the pace. I think you will get offers from at least some of those aforementioned unis but just work hard to achieve the offers you get.
rlrt
Rep:
?
thanks
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlrt)
Hey, I know there have been a few of these but I couldn't quite find one like mine exactly...
I am hoping to do Classics/Classical Studies at uni, thinking about Exeter, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh etc but I'm not sure my AS grades are good enough:

Will I realistically get an offer from any of these universities, especially as I won't have been able to bump up my grades with retakes by the time I apply?
My advice here is to remember that you have 5 application choices available to you. It's fine to make a few aspirational choices reflecting what you hope to get, but it is also wise to put in one or two conservative choices which reflect the grades you already have now (in your case something in the ABB/BBC kind of ball park).
rlrt
Rep:
?
could you recommend any ABB/BBB universities?
Delphinus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlrt)

yes definitely go for it but you are going to have to work very hard - and try and work out what it is that needs to change.

It's mostly likely your work/revision ethic - or your exam technique.

rlrt
Rep:
?
ahahaha thanks! yes i think it is both of those things: i was fine at gcse but i definitely need to step it up now!
also i just never got the hang of the history exam technique, so hopefully i will just get better with practise
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlrt)
could you recommend any ABB/BBB universities?
That is for you to research as everyone will have different things they are looking for. The UCAS search will give you an idea of entry requirements.
moorbre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlrt)

I got ABBC at As and went up to an AAB for my overall grades , these were in sciences/maths though
kookykiaora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlrt)

It's always worth trying. I got exactly the same grades as you in my AS year:
A in history, B in psychology, B in german and a C in biology.

But I then got an offer for 3 A's at Exeter University, and got them.

You never know!!
Dave454
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should be fine applying to all the Universities you mentioned with those grades. You might want to consider somewhere like Swansea or Reading as an insurance though. Swansea's offer is usually around ABB, but this can drop to BBB or lower seeing as they take alot of students through clearing anyway.
skibur
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also got ABBC and ended up getting into a AAA course I think they expect peoples grades to go up
rlrt
Rep:
?
thaaanks! i think i will apply to 3 that ask for aaa-aab and two that ask for lower just to be sure
rlrt
Rep:
?
(Original post by kookykiaora)
It's always worth trying. I got exactly the same grades as you in my AS year:
A in history, B in psychology, B in german and a C in biology.

But I then got an offer for 3 A's at Exeter University, and got them.

You never know!!
thats great!! can i ask what you're studying?
geebee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got these exact AS results but ended up with ACC at A2. I got into my first choice because I chose places I liked rather than places that would look good on a CV and the grades they wanted were BCC so I was still okay, but I think maybe put a couple of choices that are easier to get into.
rlrt
Rep:
?
thanks, i really like exeter atm so that will be a definite, and i like durham too, and then i think i will apply to warwick, reading and maybe newcastle too
rhvd29
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlrt)

Hello,
If you have those grades then you should have a pretty good chance of getting into whatever University you choose to go to. I am starting at Bristol for a Post Grad course and it's a great Uni but you have some pretty good options there. Fingers crossed for your A Levels. Good luck.
rlrt
Rep:
?
aww thanks
RowingGoose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ABBC is good for AS level! I would advise dropping the c grade AS but it's up to you if it's a good subject. Just be careful with retakes as it can add a lot of pressure during A levels. I did retakes with maths but got a worse grade in all retakes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (988)
79.36%
Leave (257)
20.64%

Watched Threads