The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
is there a more simple way? that sounds very confusing for me personally

Hmmm... Find gradient the point before and point after...?

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Original post by L'Evil Fish

break down the whole question using the latex thing then I can do the other 15 questions :P
Reply 7082

There's no need to - the question doesn't ask for the max and min values. :tongue:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
It's alright :smile: I know what you mean. They beat around the bush all the time

Yeah thats true, and my teacher didn't bother explaining it ): And something else:
when the heart is contracting powerfully its called systolic blood pressure, so this means that diastolic blood pressure is the opposite. Am I right since that contraction is systole and relaxation is diastole? (teacher didnt explain this either) Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by usycool1
There's no need to - the question doesn't ask for the max and min values. :tongue:

Usy help me I missed the whole lesson he set homework I understand the factorising and the turning point but what about finding whether the line starts at the top or the bottom! thanks
break down the whole question using the latex thing then I can do the other 15 questions :P

I have no idea how to use latex properly... Imagine you differentiate... You can fund the gradient at any point.

So if you find the gradient at three consecutive points eg:

0 1 and 2

And fins them out... Lets say the gradients are:

4 0 -2

Then it goes up turns back down...

Which is a maximum :smile:

Sup guys I missed triple maths because of the interview anyway can somebody help me.

Now I have the equation y=3x+2x^2 -x^3
factorised to make y=x(3-x) (x+1)
BUT heres the problem I get x=0 x=3 and x=-1
I'm finding it hard since my teacher literally didn't see me at all at the start of curve sketching.
My question is does anybody know how to see which way the curve goes I know theres something about positive negative but how do I get there and whats a nice method? Thanks

This is a 3rd order polynomial. Since the coefficient of the highest power is negative, the curve itself will be negative.
Original post by usycool1

I thought he wants turning points? :colondollar:

For you... It'll be C2 :smile:

The one I did only works in the form:

(1+x)^n

X can be anything! So (1+4x) woukd work but in place of x you put 4x...

Try this:

(1+2x)^3

Okay umm

1 + 8x + (3)(2)/2! 8x^2 + (3)(2)(1)/3! 8x^3 + (3)(2)(1)(0)/4

So um 1 + 8x^2 + 3 + 8x^2 + 2 + 8x^3
So 8x^3 + 16x^2 + 6
I did something wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by Abject Testament
This is a 3rd order polynomial. Since the coefficient of the highest power is negative, the curve itself will be negative.
but what if I have one like x^3 + 5x^2 + 4x how do I do this since it turns out negative whats a met hod you can use to double check or just generally use for most solutions?
Okay umm

1 + 8x + (3)(2)/2! 8x^2 + (3)(2)(1)/3! 8x^3 + (3)(2)(1)(0)/4

So um 1 + 8x^2 + 3 + 8x^2 + 2 + 8x^3
So 8x^3 + 16x^2 + 6
I did something wrong :s-smilie:

(1+2x)^3

= 1 + 3x + (3)(2)/2! (2x)^2 + (3)(2)(1)/3! (2x)^3

= 1 + 3x + 12x^2 + 8x^3.

Where did the 8s come from?

(1+2x)^3

= 1 + 3x + (3)(2)/2! (2x)^2 + (3)(2)(1)/3! (2x)^3

= 1 + 3x + 12x^2 + 8x^3.

Where did the 8s come from?

Okay, I don't understand this then. The 8s came from 2x^3.
Reply 7092
Usy help me I missed the whole lesson he set homework I understand the factorising and the turning point but what about finding whether the line starts at the top or the bottom! thanks

If it's x3-x^3 (minus), then the line will start from the top (from the left). If it's x3x^3 (positive), then the line will start from the bottom (from the left). :smile:
but what if I have one like x^3 + 5x^2 + 4x how do I do this since it turns out negative whats a met hod you can use to double check or just generally use for most solutions?

You just check whether the coefficient of the highest power is negative or positive. If it's negative, then you have a negative curve. Like this question, the highest power is x3x^3, the coefficient is positive, therfore the graph of x3+5x2+4xx^3 + 5x^2 + 4x starts and ends in the positive quadrants.
ANY PHYSICS PEEPS ABOUT

I took up physics AS this week (dropped eng. lit) and i'm stuck on something

When a cell is connected directly across a high resistance voltmeter the reading is 1.50V. When the cell is shorted though a low resistance ammeter the current is 1.5A.
What is the emf and internal resistance of the cell?

other questions on this worksheet have involved manipulating them into simultaneous equations and solving it that way...not sure whether this one is the same.

I believe you use the equation

V = emf - Ir or write it as IR = emf - Ir

I think you also use R=V/I

please help!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by g.k.galloway
ANY PHYSICS PEEPS ABOUT

I took up physics AS this week (dropped eng. lit) and i'm stuck on something

When a cell is connected directly across a high resistance voltmeter the reading is 1.50V. When the cell is shorted though a low resistance ammeter the current is 1.5A.
What is the emf and internal resistance of the cell?

other questions on this worksheet have involved manipulating them into simultaneous equations and solving it that way...not sure whether this one is the same.

I believe you use the equation

V = emf - Ir or write it as IR = emf - Ir

I think you also use R=V/I

please help!

I think so...
Okay, I don't understand this then. The 8s came from 2x^3.

That's the last one :smile: (2x)^3 = 8x^3

Original post by silentlife
I think so...

i've used that to calculate the resistance of the voltmeter (if that's even right) but dont know what to do now!!!!!
That's the last one :smile: (2x)^3 = 8x^3

Yeah, I'll look this up tomorrow after school
Original post by g.k.galloway
i've used that to calculate the resistance of the voltmeter (if that's even right) but dont know what to do now!!!!!

:confused: The voltage is 1.5V - you've stated it... Unless I've read this completely wrong... Don't over think AS physics, especially the electricity section - it's really that easy...

Edit: what's with the simultaneous equations - you're begin to make me question myself...
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest