The Student Room Group

In without the grades

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pkon9kai
what uni

DMU.
wow i wish this was me, i had mitigating circumstances and i don't think it was properly taken into consideration, my uni put me in the no pile pretty much immediately and didn't let me appeal.
hate being in limbo, my spirit has commit suicide.
Reply 42
I got into Cambridge and I missed my offer got AAAA instead of A*AA. However I did have extenuating circumstances :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by jcm6084
offered bbc for geography at portsmouth, got bde...still got in though didn't i :wink:

yes boss!
Firm offer was AAB, I got in with ABB.
This was for Pharmacy at Manchester, by the way.
Reply 45
Original post by mexicanchiliman
I was just wandering how many people got in with lower grades then they needed? given that I have heard recently that unis are being more flexible due to lower numbers of applicants.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I missed my grades (by one mark!), but my firm just let me in automatically anyway.
Reply 46
One of my friends got into an ABB course with a BCC
Original post by happ
One of my friends got into an ABB course with a BCC

That's ridiculous, completely diminishes the integrity of the course tbh. If I had firmed that course and got in, only to find people could get in with BCC I'd leave and accuse the uni of false advertisement.

Unless of course the person was a few ums off each grade but even so, too lenient.

Also, what course was it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Firm: Nottingham AAB
Insurance: Durham ABB

Grades I receieved: BBBC

I got accepted by Notts but rejected by Durham :wink:
I'm happy!
Reply 49
I needed ABB for both firm Sheffield and insurance nottingham.

I got BBC (the B's were both 16 UMS from A's and the C was 2 UMS from a B)

Insurance rejected me but Sheffield offered me a place on the single honours version of the dual course I picked.

Considering I only chose the dual because my older brother convinced me it was worth the better job prospects not because I actually wanted to do it... I'm very happy!
Original post by matthew769
That's ridiculous, completely diminishes the integrity of the course tbh. If I had firmed that course and got in, only to find people could get in with BCC I'd leave and accuse the uni of false advertisement.

Unless of course the person was a few ums off each grade but even so, too lenient.

Also, what course was it?

A Level grades are a very poor predictor of final degree class. Iffy A levels often act as a kick up the backside and lead to substantially increased motivation; likewise good A levels can lead to complacency and coasting. Then there are all the new attractions and opportunities of student life. I've seen students go both ways- excellent A levels but rubbish degree, and rubbish A levels but excellent degree.

Who are you to tell a university what it should or should not do with an applicant, especially since you don't know the specific circumstances?
Reply 51
Although during clearing some uni do tend to drop their ucas points, as they have a target to hit with a number of students or also the uni sees potential in so that's why some people have been accepted even if they achieved lower than what was expected from them.

Original post by Keiran:.

I will keep u guys posted.! OHH and entrance grades for most degrees are going up next year! some of the unis that were BBB this year are now ABB!

Entrance grades are going up?!?! You kidding me! It's hard enough trying to find a uni that offers between AAA and BBB which I actually want to go to.

Original post by Lydiixx
I got into Cambridge and I missed my offer got AAAA instead of A*AA. However I did have extenuating circumstances :tongue:

Poor you :wink:

Reply 54
I needed 80 points from 2 A levels for Psychology with a foundation year.

Got 60 points from one A level then 80 points from 2 AS levels.

I'm in :wink:
Reply 55
I needed AAB to study Psychology at Leeds University but they accepted me with ABB. They assured everyone at the open day that they definitely wouldn't let anyone in who missed the grades even slightly but a lot of Universities are more lenient than they make out :smile: My A was in Psychology though so that might've increased my chances. Northumbria seem to let a lot of people in who have missed the grades. My friend needed BBB for Geography and they let him in with BCD :smile:
I needed AAA for Law at Liverpool, but got ABB, and still got in.

One of my Bs was something like 9 UMS off an A, but my B in English wasn't even close.

feel like I dont even deserve my place lol, lukciest person going.
Reply 57
I needed AAB for Pharmacy at UCL but got it with ABB.
Reply 58
Hey guys, really happy to say that I got into Royal Holloway with ACC. Truly happy, thank Allah so much!
Reply 59
Original post by mexicanchiliman
I was just wandering how many people got in with lower grades then they needed? given that I have heard recently that unis are being more flexible due to lower numbers of applicants.

Considering you can't even spell 'wondering' i assume it was clearing for you? I was disqualified from one of my exams, but I got into an English Language and Journalism course through clearing that was asking for BBC, despite me getting BCE. Very fortunate really, though i suppose it would have been more fortunate to not have been disqualified at all, allowing me a higher grade than an E in my third subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending