Freshers at home with no friends Watch

geordie93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey

I am in a bit of a rut at the moment and I am living at home for uni. I messed up last year by choosing the wrong course but I was lucky enough to get an internal transfer to the course I wanted. At the moment I have very little friends due to me being antisocial for a few months where I panicked about my course and ignored them and they have now just ignored me. I want to make the most of freshers but have no one to go with and was wondering if there are other people who were in a similar situation to me because obviously I won't make friends instantly because I am not living in halls. Not sure what to do....
gavineoz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GO out to your Uni's student union or local pubs before freshers week starts and try and make friends then. not sure why you would chose to live at home though even if you did live close to uni, a few of my friends done it and really regret it. But yeah you HAVE to put your self out there as much as possible.
geordie93
Rep:
?
I am going to join some societies and that. I am just not sure whether to buy the wristband as it is £70 and I don't want it to be a waste if I have nobody to go to the events with and I might not get to know people well enough for them to ask me to go with them. There are lots of reasons for staying at home plus I wouldn't be a priority for halls.
gavineoz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well its reaally easy to make friends when your drunk, if your alone and theres a group of people its likey they will come over and chat, or you can just pretend to bump into them and make convo. But wow 70 pounds is indeed alot for the wristband
haydoncrewduk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take it from your username and the cost of the wristband that you are gong to Newcastle? im in the same boat, doing a postgrad and living 40 miles from ncl, I can't decide what to do about freshers week :-S
Kate
EffieFlowers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gavineoz)
GO out to your Uni's student union or local pubs before freshers week starts and try and make friends then. not sure why you would chose to live at home though even if you did live close to uni, a few of my friends done it and really regret it. But yeah you HAVE to put your self out there as much as possible.
Why do they really regret it?
gavineoz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EffieFlowers)
Why do they really regret it?
Because there limited to how much they go out and the transport they get, its hard to explain but its just a lot more stressful to sort things out than just going out as you would in halls + you honestly get bored of nonstop travelin back and forth. It also makes it harder to pre drink, you have to find someones house to pre drink then bring your drinks over there.

+ It's slightly harder to make friends, but that should never be a problem but hanging around with your friends is harder if you live a little while away.
Tesphena
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by geordie93)
Hey

I am in a bit of a rut at the moment and I am living at home for uni. I messed up last year by choosing the wrong course but I was lucky enough to get an internal transfer to the course I wanted. At the moment I have very little friends due to me being antisocial for a few months where I panicked about my course and ignored them and they have now just ignored me. I want to make the most of freshers but have no one to go with and was wondering if there are other people who were in a similar situation to me because obviously I won't make friends instantly because I am not living in halls. Not sure what to do....
Its not too late to get a place in private halls, or even in a private house with other students. If you can't find any offered you could link up with some people in a similar predicament on here or on Facebook, and find a place to rent together.
davey2100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow suggesting to someone to go to the pub to meet friends, you'll just look like a weirdo sitting in a pub on your own, even in freshers week.

If you want real friendships and not just tagging along with a drunk group of people who barely know you, just join society's that interest you.

My advice is just be very social to people when you go to your induction lessons on the first day. the first person I spoke to on my induction lesson actually became a friend i spent quite a bit of time with and if I hadn't of made the effort to speak then we wouldn't of met after that day or just passed each other without a word.
geordie93
Rep:
?
Yeah think i am not goin to bother with the wristband. Just gonna join a few societies and try and make an effort with people in my introductory lectures. I have heard from many people that the people you meet at freshers nights you rarely meet again unless you are living with them or on their course.
callmenighthawk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by davey2100)
Wow suggesting to someone to go to the pub to meet friends, you'll just look like a weirdo sitting in a pub on your own, even in freshers week.
True, but who the **** would sit in a pub on their own at any time, let alone freshers week? That's why you go up to someone and say "Hi." I guess you've never done that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.89%
No - I got the required grades (100)
57.47%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise