The Student Room Group

Concorde was the greatest engineering achievment of the 20th century, do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lol it blew up! What kind of engineering feat is that?
Reply 21
Original post by Podcaster
Lol it blew up! What kind of engineering feat is that?

Nobody said technological innovation was completely safe/fool-proof. You're right that there have been some substantial problems with nuclear and atomic power stations, but on the whole the evidence from most countries is that they're an efficient, if very expensive, way of keeping everybody's homes warm during the winter.

Now disposal of nuclear waste once the power stations need to be decommissioned...That's another matter entirely.
Reply 22
Original post by Norton1
You probably mean the LHC. Which isn't 20th Century.

I don't. I'm fairly sure there was another particle accelerator built in the 20th Century at CERN?
Original post by SebCross
Nobody said technological innovation was completely safe/fool-proof. You're right that there have been some substantial problems with nuclear and atomic power stations, but on the whole the evidence from most countries is that they're an efficient, if very expensive, way of keeping everybody's homes warm during the winter.

Now disposal of nuclear waste once the power stations need to be decommissioned...That's another matter entirely.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the Concorde.

Original post by M'Ling
I don't. I'm fairly sure there was another particle accelerator built in the 20th Century at CERN?

There was yes, the Large Electron-Positron Collider. (Amazing what Google can tell you!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Concorde was certainly an impressive feat, however I don't think it trumps the Nuclear Bomb, Apollo Program or the Internet.
Reply 25
I think Sputnik_1 was by quite some distant. The impact it has had on lives is so easily overlooked. It changed Radio, TV, the military and space exploration. Things we take for granted today such as weather channels, mobile signals and navigation systems all started from that one artificial satellite.
yes i do
Reply 27
Original post by Jack93o
personally I think the atom bomb was the greatest engineering achievemnet of the 20th century

coooontrooooveeerrrssiiiaaaalllllll
Reply 28
Original post by Newbie123
I never disputed the fact that Concorde was an impressive feat of engineering, and this, in conjunction with the emboldened part, kind of makes me question why you began your comment with "I'd disagree", seeing as if anything, we're in agreement.

But yeah, like I said, I think total utility (how many people, over how many years etc.) is something that is of great importance in determining just how "great" a given engineering achievement was.

I disagree with the utility part. A 500 foot high statue which is merely there for decorative purposes is just as great an achievement as a 500 foot high building that can actually be used for something.
Original post by Jack93o
personally I think the atom bomb was the greatest engineering achievemnet of the 20th century

Well it certainly did a good job when used.
Original post by rockin_n_rollin_
I am of the belief that Concorde was the greatest technological and engineering achievement of the 20th century.

Think about it....it was created in the 1960s, yet even by today's standards it would still outperform any modern aircraft.

Mach 2 speed (twice the speed of sound), sophisticated 'fly by wire' control systems, window coolers that cooled the fuselage and windows down due to friction with the air at such high speeds, and London to New York in just over 3 hours. There were even computers that slowed the airspeed down to get into the engines, since engines cannot take in air at such high speeds....and this was in the 1960s when such computer technology didn't even technically exist!

Concorde was a phenomenal feat, one that has not been equalled since, so I vote it for the greatest 20th century engineering and technological achievement, what do you think?

If you don't agree, what do you think was a better achievement? I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything better.

If it had been that good it would still operate.
Reply 31
Original post by SebCross
That's kind of twisted isn't it? The power to harness nuclear energy in power stations, sure, but the bomb?

you'll be grateful when theres a massive asteroid the size of texas heading towards us
Original post by Jack93o
you'll be grateful when theres a massive asteroid the size of texas heading towards us

Armageddon reference? :sexface:
Agree. It was bad of them to even get rid of the Concorde!
Original post by Arbolus
I disagree with the utility part. A 500 foot high statue which is merely there for decorative purposes is just as great an achievement as a 500 foot high building that can actually be used for something.

But a 500ft tall statue placed in a public location DOES have utility. It's a marvelous structure/landmark that shapes & defines its entire vicinity, and is aesthetically pleasing for people to just look at.
Reply 35
Original post by Jack93o

LOL yeah, you're right.
Reply 36
Original post by Angry cucumber
2 words: Space shuttle.....

oh and we also went to the moon in the 20th century!! :biggrin:

Original post by naman
apollo?

Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Concorde was certainly an impressive feat, however I don't think it trumps the Nuclear Bomb, Apollo Program or the Internet.

A famous quote from a NASA engineer and official once said:
"Getting to the moon was a piece of cake compared to getting Concorde to work"

Supersonic flight had previously only been possible for extremely well trained military pilots wearing fully pressurised space suits within their aircraft and flying for no more than 30 minutes/an hour at a time. They went from that to having 120 people in lounge suits for 3+hrs flying across the Atlantic in less than a decade.
Original post by Drewski
A famous quote from a NASA engineer and official once said:
"Getting to the moon was a piece of cake compared to getting Concorde to work"

Supersonic flight had previously only been possible for extremely well trained military pilots wearing fully pressurised space suits within their aircraft and flying for no more than 30 minutes/an hour at a time. They went from that to having 120 people in lounge suits for 3+hrs flying across the Atlantic in less than a decade.

Certainly impressive, but do higher technical achievements really mean greater engineering achievements? Especially as it didn't turn out to be economically viable (people can argue that governments stopped it etc. - but if it was viable, a private company (or even Airbus) could just start making them again).

While getting to New York in 3 hours was good for the few that were able to afford Concorde, it didn't really provide much improvement for people in general over existing jets that get there in 8 hours.

Whereas the internet completely revolutionised communications, space travel has vastly increased knowledge of space and spawned dozens of real-world practical applications etc. etc.

I guess if you strip usefulness out of the equation Concorde could be top though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by callum9999
Certainly impressive, but do higher technical achievements really mean greater engineering achievements? Especially as it didn't turn out to be economically viable (people can argue that governments stopped it etc. - but if it was viable, a private company (or even Airbus) could just start making them again).

While getting to New York in 3 hours was good for the few that were able to afford Concorde, it didn't really provide much improvement for people in general over existing jets that get there in 8 hours.

Whereas the internet completely revolutionised communications, space travel has vastly increased knowledge of space and spawned dozens of real-world practical applications etc. etc.

I guess if you strip usefulness out of the equation Concorde could be top though.

BA ran a profit out of their Concorde services every year they operated flights to/from NYC. The publicity alone paid for the extra fuel it used. Air France never made it quite so successful, so when they made the choice to retire it, EADS followed French calls and made Airbus cease it's licensing authority and stop producing spares. Had that not happen I'm 99.9% certain BA would still be operating them now.

I guess we have to define what we mean by 'engineering'. To me - a highly biased aeronautical engineer by degree and trade - its nuts and bolts, it's grease and oil, it's moving things that people can see. Apollo was good. But not many people ever saw it, fewer got inside it.

Concorde stopped traffic for decades. It's last flight was a global news item. Wherever it flew people stopped and looked up. Concorde wasn't about the people inside, it was about the people outside, watching it go by. Grace and beauty in design, yet ferocious unrelenting power. Time after time. A Saturn V rocket was good. But it was only used once. Concorde was used daily. For 40 years.
Original post by Drewski
BA ran a profit out of their Concorde services every year they operated flights to/from NYC. The publicity alone paid for the extra fuel it used. Air France never made it quite so successful, so when they made the choice to retire it, EADS followed French calls and made Airbus cease it's licensing authority and stop producing spares. Had that not happen I'm 99.9% certain BA would still be operating them now.

I guess we have to define what we mean by 'engineering'. To me - a highly biased aeronautical engineer by degree and trade - its nuts and bolts, it's grease and oil, it's moving things that people can see. Apollo was good. But not many people ever saw it, fewer got inside it.

Concorde stopped traffic for decades. It's last flight was a global news item. Wherever it flew people stopped and looked up. Concorde wasn't about the people inside, it was about the people outside, watching it go by. Grace and beauty in design, yet ferocious unrelenting power. Time after time. A Saturn V rocket was good. But it was only used once. Concorde was used daily. For 40 years.

BA got the concordes dirt cheap though. The government basically paid for them (what with them owning BA at the time), and the BA we know today that managed to make a profit out them wouldn't have been able to do so if they had to pay market rates. Maybe they could have made it work for longer with the existing aircraft that had already been paid for, but they certainly couldn't if they ever had to buy new planes. If it was an economically viable project, I don't see why no-one else has come up with one.

I do get your point though (and would have loved to go on a concorde!). While I personally see it's usefulness to the general public as an important criteria, just judging it on it's own technical merits is a more than valid view - and in that regard, the Concorde is irrefutably spectacular!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending