The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Muntari with an act of madness, physically stopping the referee from reaching for a card. What the... :facepalm:
Reply 581
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Muntari with an act of madness, physically stopping the referee from reaching for a card. What the... :facepalm:

That was pretty strange tbh. :wtf:
Original post by Abiraleft
That was pretty strange tbh. :wtf:

First time I've seen that in a football match. It hasn't been evident that Milan have been playing with 10 men, quite a decent performance. Their kit is nothing short of shocking though. Reminds me of a classic Arsenal disaster :biggrin:

Yeah the new Milan away kit is a sight for sore eyes. Dunno what they were thinking.
Also, the racism issue needs sorting out asap. Kudos to Totti for speaking to the Roma Ultras and stopping the chanting but it's sad that it's at a stage where this sort of action is even needed.
Okay guys I only watch Italian football every couple of weeks but what is Marquinhos like? of Roma? is he worth the hype? Heard Barcelona are very interested in him.
Original post by Malevolent
Okay guys I only watch Italian football every couple of weeks but what is Marquinhos like? of Roma? is he worth the hype? Heard Barcelona are very interested in him.

He's very, very good. Along with Varane and Nastasic, he's probably the best young CB in the world at the moment. He's a very clever player and one of the stand out CBs in Serie A this year.
Original post by Stu Laverty
He's very, very good. Along with Varane and Nastasic, he's probably the best young CB in the world at the moment. He's a very clever player and one of the stand out CBs in Serie A this year.

Good in the air? one thing we really need is someone aerially dominant to replace Puyol. Also is he fast like Varane? Doesn't have to be same but can he at least keep up with strikers. Seems attackers can just knock it past our CB's to get past them.
Good in the air? one thing we really need is someone aerially dominant to replace Puyol. Also is he fast like Varane? Doesn't have to be same but can he at least keep up with strikers. Seems attackers can just knock it past our CB's to get past them.

He's very quick. He's not dominant in the air like, say, Vidic or Terry who can use their physical strength to win aerial battles. Instead he gets by with his exceptional positioning and timing, so in that regard he's a lot like Puyol and would make a great replacement if he can keep up his form from this season and continue to improve.
Original post by Stu Laverty
He's very quick. He's not dominant in the air like, say, Vidic or Terry who can use their physical strength to win aerial battles. Instead he gets by with his exceptional positioning and timing, so in that regard he's a lot like Puyol and would make a great replacement if he can keep up his form from this season and continue to improve.

Now that is intriguing. Some pace in the CB would be pretty sweet. If he came could have Puyol as 3/4th choice CB.
Now that is intriguing. Some pace in the CB would be pretty sweet. If he came could have Puyol as 3/4th choice CB.

Is Puyol still good enough to be a starter? I haven't payed much attention to him this season. I think he's the kind of player that even if he's lost his pace he'd still be useful because his reading of the game and tactical intelligence is second to none. I guess even if he starts/has declined, it would be useful keeping him at the club for a Scholes/Giggs effect. Any new CBs would learn so much training with him.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Is Puyol still good enough to be a starter? I haven't payed much attention to him this season. I think he's the kind of player that even if he's lost his pace he'd still be useful because his reading of the game and tactical intelligence is second to none. I guess even if he starts/has declined, it would be useful keeping him at the club for a Scholes/Giggs effect. Any new CBs would learn so much training with him.

I thought he was okay slightly worse then normal but i read something that opened my eyes that suggests whilst he can't play so often every other game or three he should be able to.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1637030-tales-of-carles-puyols-decline-at-barcelona-have-been-greatly-exagerrated

Article opened my eyes a bit.

Marquinhos is amazing and been a standout performer for Roma this season. Reminds me a bit of Maldini in the sense that he uses positioning and reading of the game to make interceptions and blocks as opposed to being a tenacious tackler. Amazingly focused too for such a young player. Really hope he stays in the Italian league. Would have loved to see Nastasic stay in Serie A too but guess it wasn't meant to be :'(
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Marquinhos is amazing and been a standout performer for Roma this season. Reminds me a bit of Maldini in the sense that he uses positioning and reading of the game to make interceptions and blocks as opposed to being a tenacious tackler. Amazingly focused too for such a young player. Really hope he stays in the Italian league. Would have loved to see Nastasic stay in Serie A too but guess it wasn't meant to be :'(

Wow thats some high praise for someone that young! The more i hear of him the more I really want him at Barcelona. Is he a little injury prone? I heard someone say he keeps getting small niggling injuries though :frown:
Wow thats some high praise for someone that young! The more i hear of him the more I really want him at Barcelona. Is he a little injury prone? I heard someone say he keeps getting small niggling injuries though :frown:

Yeah, it's an observation I've made in that particular sense. He isn't injury prone as far as I know (maybe thinking of Marquinho?); he's played 26 times in the league and 3 times in the cup. Would be an immense acquisition for Barca if they did get him though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, it's an observation I've made in that particular sense. He isn't injury prone as far as I know; he's played 26 times in the league and 3 times in the cup. Would be an immense acquisition for Barca if they did get him though.

Ahh dear thats not a good thing then. Worth 20m though?
Ahh dear thats not a good thing then. Worth 20m though?

Yeah, I'd say so. Considering Nastasic went for 15m and Savic, and Marquinhos still has 3 years on his contract, I'd say 20m wouldn't be a bad price for him at all.
Yeah, I'd say so. Considering Nastasic went for 15m and Savic, and Marquinhos still has 3 years on his contract, I'd say 20m wouldn't be a bad price for him at all.

Cheers for all the info man. Rather excited now :smile:
Cheers for all the info man. Rather excited now :smile:

No problem at all :smile:
Sampdoria do a league double over Juve, and in the process have stopped quite a few records being broken, including the record points total I think.
Reply 599
Juventus are interested in Tevez now, this transfer market is gonna be exciting!

Quick Reply

Latest