Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Suarez wasn't the player that they needed.

That was just as much a galactico signing.

They wanted a 9 to handle parked buses. Suarez is not that type of 9. The no.9 they needed already left Barcelona and is currently at PSG.

Also if they want Messi to play in the hole where is iniesta/Rakitic going to play? Just thinking about it. They didn't need Suarez, they just needed a CB and possibly an RB but I don't think Alves needs to be replaced that badly.
    Suarez is a galactico but he gives them a different option and will compliment Messi well. At the WC Messi would draw 3-4 defenders out of position and create space but have no partner up front who could exploit it, Suarez will thrive on this at Barca.

Also rofl at your notion that Ibra is a better fit. Suarez is more mobile so fits into the system better, has a better skill set and can get past his man more effectively and has less of an ego so will harmonise better with the group, which was evident at Liverpool with both fans and his team mates loving him even though he's a crazy mofo. Can still see him biting Pepe in the first Clasico tho :coma:

I have a feeling they'll start of with a 4-3-3 this season due to Neymar not being 100% and Suarez' ban so Deulofeu will probably get some game time. Would like them to try narrow diamond with Messi being at the tip when Suarez and Neymar are back though, would be interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Suarez is a galactico but he gives them a different option and will compliment Messi well. At the WC Messi would draw 3-4 defenders out of position and create space but have no partner up front who could exploit it, Suarez will thrive on this at Barca.

Also rofl at your notion that Ibra is a better fit. Suarez is more mobile so fits into the system better, has a better skill set and can get past his man more effectively and has less of an ego so will harmonise better with the group, which was evident at Liverpool with both fans and his team mates loving him even though he's a crazy mofo. Can still see him biting Pepe in the first Clasico tho :coma:

I have a feeling they'll start of with a 4-3-3 this season due to Neymar not being 100% and Suarez' ban so Deulofeu will probably get some game time. Would like them to try narrow diamond with Messi being at the tip when Suarez and Neymar are back though, would be interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Suarez likes to drop deep and create chances for others, so you're going to end up with two players who aren't reference points up top as they'll both drop deep. Suarez is essentially Messi but a few inches taller.

They need an actual 9. Somebody who's got decent Mobility, can hold the ball up and is a reference point. Someone like Lewandowski or failing that an Ibra. Ibra has good link up play and offers them a "plan B" and not another variation of plan A(i.e. Suarez). Would say the same if they bought Wayne Rooney or Aguero.

Suarez offers them nothing more than what Messi did. But I guess if you have two Messi's on the pitch it's only an advantage. Especially as Suarez is so hardworking. Suarez' and Ibra's ego. Well Suarez will get himself banned for a quarter of the season and acts as if he's a victim to the media while ostracising the clubs image. If that isn't a big ego then I don't know what is.

They needed Ibra more than Suarez personally. What does Suarez offer that say Neymar wouldn't in a year or two and is the loss of balance in fitting Suarez, Messi and Neymar in a system while having Iniesta, Rakitic, Busquetts in a system.

I assume they're playing a diamond of some sort. They'll start the 4-3-3 but like with last season, they're going to struggle integrating all the attacking players in the team. I think that Suarez was a statement signing because they knew he was available. I also think that if they're doing a false 9 system with Messi, then they're going to rely on runners from midfield positions, then what is Suarez doing there? That's not his game. He has a good work rate to run onto balls but he hasn't got the pace. they had a good balance with Sanchez there.

ReputationRep:
    Lucho will find a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Make it back in shirt sales? lol do people actually believe that
    Real made back Ronaldo's fees in less than a year just on shirt sales.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    Real made back Ronaldo's fees in less than a year just on shirt sales.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's a bit of a difference between one of the most marketable athletes in the world and James Rodriguez

ReputationRep:
    There's a bit of a difference between one of the most marketable athletes in the world and James Rodriguez
    Young player who was the one of the best players at the WC, not sure about you but that's a lot of exposure and Real will cash in on the shirt sales. There is a difference between James and Ronaldo, but Real will still make a substantial amount from shirt sales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Young player who was the one of the best players at the WC, not sure about you but that's a lot of exposure and Real will cash in on the shirt sales. There is a difference between James and Ronaldo, but Real will still make a substantial amount from shirt sales.
    No they really won't Ronaldo sells 2.5x the shirts of the entire Real Madrid squad combined. He's unique in that aspect and even then he holds most his image rights as far as I know

ReputationRep:
    James Rodriguez is coming to LFC next season for free. M'kay bye. Lol.

ReputationRep:

In what world are those two transfers comparable?

Real snatched the arguably biggest talent in Spain after a MVP performance in the U21 Euros to prevent him from leaving la liga/moving to another club claiming they would focus on a "Spanish core", then barely used him and now replace him for ridiculous money with a player who's not incredibly more talented but has put in a MVP performance in the World Cup (however good a season he might have had, Real weren't interested in him before the WC). Not only do they not need him but fitting him in requires them to deconstruct a good, working system and sell or then bench one of their most hard-working players - without the guarantee that the new system would actually be better. They pay a lot of money for "fixing" things that don't need fixing and potentially making them worse than before. And all that when it's quite obvious that this is not the coach's but the presi's wish.

Barça sign a player who might cost too much for some people's liking and who isn't guaranteed to work out but whom the coach has explicitly asked for and who they think offers a solution to an undeniably existing problem. Fitting him in does require a change in system, but not one that disintegrates some of their best-performing players who fit the system better & at the same time makes their most promising youngster who isn't far behind in quality and has liga experience superfluous. Plus the system was in need of a change anyway. Whether or not he is the right solution to Barça's problems and whether or not Lucho was wrong in choosing him is a different question, but that doesn't make the reasoning behind the transfer comparable to Real buying James.

It's hard to question James' quality this whole past season or the fact that he could be great at Real, but it's primarily a marketing transfer that's politically motivated. Suárez is not. Would be mental to buy Suárez solely for marketing reasons after the biting incident anyway, lol. And as much as I had mixed feelings about signing Suárez, not every player who costs a ****load of money and doesn't immeditately seem easy to integrate is a "galáctico". That would really only further inflate the meaning of the term as it's understood today.

ReputationRep:
    No they really won't Ronaldo sells 2.5x the shirts of the entire Real Madrid squad combined. He's unique in that aspect and even then he holds most his image rights as far as I know
    Conservatively I would estimate that Rodriguez sells 300000 shirts his first year and about 100k a year after that if he's successful. They won't make the money back just off shirt sales but they'll make a good proportion of it back there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

They wanted a 9 to handle parked buses. Suarez is not that type of 9. The no.9 they needed already left Barcelona and is currently at PSG.

Also if they want Messi to play in the hole where is iniesta/Rakitic going to play? Just thinking about it. They didn't need Suarez, they just needed a CB and possibly an RB but I don't think Alves needs to be replaced that badly.
    I disagree. Rodriguez has had a season of pretty questionable quality in ligue1. Suarez is a proven player. I would say the Suarez/bale signings and the neymar/James signings are the more comparable ones here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jam just got qua'd.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatively I would estimate that Rodriguez sells 300000 shirts his first year and about 100k a year after that if he's successful. They won't make the money back just off shirt sales but they'll make a good proportion of it back there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are these numbers based off? I'm 99% sure it's less

+ real won't get all the money from it

ReputationRep:
    What are these numbers based off? I'm 99% sure it's less
    It's an estimate. Real Madrid sell about 1.5-2 million shirts a year so it's a guess off that. Those are sales directly from club to consumer so they would get most of that. I haven't considered other sales as I couldn't find a reliable stat on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's an estimate. Real Madrid sell about 1.5-2 million shirts a year so it's a guess off that. Those are sales directly from club to consumer so they would get most of that. I haven't considered other sales as I couldn't find a reliable stat on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They sold 1.4 mil last year and 1 million were Ronaldo shirts

Remember bale, isco etc signed + the other 20 players to make up 400k shirts james Rodriguez will sell nowhere near 300k

ReputationRep:
    They sold 1.4 mil last year and 1 million were Ronaldo shirts

Remember bale, isco etc signed + the other 20 players to make up 400k shirts james Rodriguez will sell nowhere near 300k
    Shirt sales have averaged 1.4 over the last 5 years which in practice means closer to 2 last year. Shirt sales are also heavily concentrated towards a) new signings and b) starting attacking players. I don't think 300k club to consumer sales for a big signing is unrealistic. Do you have a source for the Ronaldo stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shirt sales have averaged 1.4 over the last 5 years which in practice means closer to 2 last year. Shirt sales are also heavily concentrated towards a) new signings and b) starting attacking players. I don't think 300k club to consumer sales for a big signing is unrealistic. Do you have a source for the Ronaldo stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no other club in the World selling more jerseys than Real Madrid and Manchester United. According to the German newspaper "Bild", the Spanish and English giants have each sold approximately 1.4 million jerseys in 2013, while Cristiano Ronaldo single-handedly was responsible for the selling of 1 million shirts with his name printed on the back

If bale, isco, illarmendi + all there other players combined aren't selling 400k. 300k for Rodriguez is unrealistic especially considering bale was a world record fee and a bigger name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Jam just got qua'd.
    "Qua'd", that's brilliant hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)
    In what world are those two transfers comparable?

Real snatched the arguably biggest talent in Spain after a MVP performance in the U21 Euros to prevent him from leaving la liga/moving to another club claiming they would focus on a "Spanish core", then barely used him and now replace him for ridiculous money with a player who's not incredibly more talented but has put in a MVP performance in the World Cup (however good a season he might have had, Real weren't interested in him before the WC). Not only do they not need him but fitting him in requires them to deconstruct a good, working system and sell or then bench one of their most hard-working players - without the guarantee that the new system would actually be better. They pay a lot of money for "fixing" things that don't need fixing and potentially making them worse than before. And all that when it's quite obvious that this is not the coach's but the presi's wish.
    Yeah that does take the piss the way in which they did that and how Isco is getting treated. But I can liken Di Maria leaving/benched for Real to Sanchez leaving. Also one of your better players and most hardworking players of the previous season.

I do believe however that Rodriguez is Ronaldo's long term replacement(as is Bale). With the big money they put in for him, the fact Ronaldo is turning 30 don't be surprised to see Ronaldo be on the bench in about 2 seasons time for Rodriguez and Bale. He'll give Isco games in the future as Ronaldo's influence on the team starts waning.

Barça sign a player who might cost too much for some people's liking and who isn't guaranteed to work out but whom the coach has explicitly asked for and who they think offers a solution to an undeniably existing problem. Fitting him in does require a change in system, but not one that disintegrates some of their best-performing players who fit the system better & at the same time makes their most promising youngster who isn't far behind in quality and has liga experience superfluous. Plus the system was in need of a change anyway. Whether or not he is the right solution to Barça's problems and whether or not Lucho was wrong in choosing him is a different question, but that doesn't make the reasoning behind the transfer comparable to Real buying James.
    I don't disagree here.

I wouldn't say the system needed a change for Barca though. A plan B, but they could have stuck with plan A if they wanted to. It's the case that Xavi isn't good enough anymore(he's been replaced).

If Barca actually want to focus on something, they could buy a CB because their defence is terrible, or a fullback that doesn't just run forward at every opportunity, buying Suarez is more of the same. Just because he says he's a no.9 doesn't mean that he's going to play as one.

The reason they bought Sturridge e.g. is because he solved a massive tactical problem with them. Suarez likes to drop deep and get into zone 14, which is where majority of chances are created and the wingers/striker in front of him allows Suarez to thread balls in, if not he creates a chance for himself.

Does the way Suarez plays sound familiar to a certain player you have at Barca?
    It's hard to question James' quality this whole past season or the fact that he could be great at Real, but it's primarily a marketing transfer that's politically motivated. Suárez is not. Would be mental to buy Suárez for marketing reasons after the biting incident anyway, lol. And as much as I had mixed feelings about signing Suárez, not every player who costs a ****load of money and doesn't immeditately seem easy to integrate is a "galáctico". That would really only further inflate the meaning of the term as it's understood today.
    Suarez is still a hit in south america. In particular Uruguay.

Galacticos original meaning was the case of making a world class team with world class players signed for big money. It's then had negative connotations when it didn't work out with the prima donnas and the lack of balance in the teams(e.g. Beckham for Makalele). Signings that Barcelona have made that adopted this policy have been Neymar and Suarez, two players that were not necessarily needed(in particular Suarez) but will have shirt sales. Despite Suarez' off the field policies, do you not think that the little kids playing in catalunya won't be getting Suarez shirts? His Pr is questionable but he'd get a lot in shirt sales. I can assure you of that.

For the record though. What is your definition of Galacticos? Thought it stood for galactic(aka big).

ReputationRep:
    On shirt sales, wouldn't a large number of shirts sold be sold anyway, just with a different name on the back? So saying "Real Madrid sold X jerseys with Y's name on" doesn't give you the right number for money made by signing that player.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.