The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Spanish Court has suspended the players strike, meaning the games will go ahead...yayy
Original post by jit987
Spanish Court has suspended the players strike, meaning the games will go ahead...yayy

yay indeed, I think Barca will win in the Calderon and return the favour to Atleti.

3 wins from the remaining 4 matches to win the game treble.
Sid Lowe from the Guardian is convinced Bale will stay, and that's good enough for me to be honest. Zidane to take over?
Original post by Icecream1
yay indeed, I think Barca will win in the Calderon and return the favour to Atleti.

3 wins from the remaining 4 matches to win the game treble.

Yup 3 finals left: Madrid - Barcelona - Berlin
Can anyone explain this players strike to me?

As I understand it's over the fact that television rights will be negotiated as a group and split up fairly between teams, not like the current monopoly barca and Madrid have. The cascading effect of this is more money to the smaller clubs, leading to a more balanced league in terms of finances and ultimately more money in the pockets of the players who don't play for barca or Madrid.

Why then are the players union striking in the interests of its members? Surely the only members it's negatively effects are the top earners who want to keep the status quo. And I am in no way bashing the like of messi, Ronaldo et Al. As from what I understand many of the latest la liga stars have kept several lower league teams afloat by donating money or playing in charity matches.

So who do this negatively effect? Is it just the players union being sore about being marginalised in the negotiations? I honestly can't see any legitimate gripe they can have.
Original post by jit987
Yup 3 finals left: Madrid - Barcelona - Berlin

I think they will do it. Suarez was taken off against Bayern as a precaution and reports suggest he will be back. Good news that their will be no injuries going into these nadsive matches.
Think Barcelona will win it on the final day of the season.
Emery to take over from Ancelotti? Back-to-back EL titles would certainly help people start noticing him.
Original post by Aky786UK
Definitely Bye Bye Ancelotti and POSSIBLY Bale but think he'll get another year.

Fans and players want Ancelotti to stay... he will stay put. Madrid need some stability.

Few changes need to be made in the squad though. Either Ronaldo or Bale out. if it was up to me I would sell them both.

Ronaldo is a medicre footballer that lives on his team mates´ assists, he can only score by tapping it in or taking penalties. Also he is a ´cancer´ in the dressing room, only footballer I have seen that throws a tantrum if a team mate scores, and only player that does not celebrate if a team mate (Ramos) scores the equalizer in a CL final.

Bale is a spectacular footballer, and without Ronaldo he´d get better. It must be frustrating playing alongside someone that is constnatly shouting at you if you don´t pass him the ball. Bale would have more space and would play without feeling inhibited. But he needs to learn Spanish and needs to integrate in the team, he looks absent most of the time and a bit off.

The team should be rebuilt around James to make him the main man.
Original post by Dission
Fans and players want Ancelotti to stay... he will stay put. Madrid need some stability.

No chance. Of course they won't keep him. Players and fans may want him to stay, but they haven't necessarily wanted Capello, del Bosque etc. to go in the past.

Ancelotti is a man on borrowed time - wrongly, of course, but his sacking is inevitable.
Think I seen someone say that; not since 1983! Has a Real Madrid manager stayed on to the next season without winning a single trophy.

(In 1983 it was Di Stefano...)
Original post by Zander01
Think I seen someone say that; not since 1983! Has a Real Madrid manager stayed on to the next season without winning a single trophy.

(In 1983 it was Di Stefano...)

That is ridiculous.
Original post by Mackay
No chance. Of course they won't keep him. Players and fans may want him to stay, but they haven't necessarily wanted Capello, del Bosque etc. to go in the past.

Ancelotti is a man on borrowed time - wrongly, of course, but his sacking is inevitable.

Capello was not wanted by the fans and the relationship with the chairman was broken. Del Bosque was wanted by fans by Florentino Perez´s right hand at the time (Valdano) prefered to take a gamble on Queiroz...

Those situations were different and do not apply. Ancelotti may stay because he is wanted by everyone, that is the difference. Fans, footballers and chariman. Also, I can´t see any good or better replacement in the market at the moment. Benitez ends contract this summer with Napoli, but I think most people would rather stay with Carlo Ancelotti than having Benitez. Klopp would be a flopp, he can´t speak the langauge, don´t know the league... etc. There is just no one I can think of that would be a good signing and that people would prefer over Ancelotti.

Original post by craglyboy
Can anyone explain this players strike to me?

As I understand it's over the fact that television rights will be negotiated as a group and split up fairly between teams, not like the current monopoly barca and Madrid have. The cascading effect of this is more money to the smaller clubs, leading to a more balanced league in terms of finances and ultimately more money in the pockets of the players who don't play for barca or Madrid.

Why then are the players union striking in the interests of its members? Surely the only members it's negatively effects are the top earners who want to keep the status quo. And I am in no way bashing the like of messi, Ronaldo et Al. As from what I understand many of the latest la liga stars have kept several lower league teams afloat by donating money or playing in charity matches.

So who do this negatively effect? Is it just the players union being sore about being marginalised in the negotiations? I honestly can't see any legitimate gripe they can have.

They want to pay less taxes, but they don´t say it publically.

This article sums it up there is a lot that has been hidden in the media: https://exiledspain.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/less-tax-for-footballers-the-reason-behind-the-failed-strike/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dission
Capello was not wanted by the fans and the relationship with the chairman was broken. Del Bosque was wanted by fans by Florentino Perez´s right hand at the time (Valdano) prefered to take a gamble on Queiroz...

Those situations were different and do not apply. Ancelotti may stay because he is wanted by everyone, that is the difference. Fans, footballers and chariman. Also, I can´t see any good or better replacement in the market at the moment. Benitez ends contract this summer with Napoli, but I think most people would rather stay with Carlo Ancelotti than having Benitez. Klopp would be a flopp, he can´t speak the langauge, don´t know the league... etc. There is just no one I can think of that would be a good signing and that people would prefer over Ancelotti.

There's talk of the Madrid board wanting to promote Zidane from within, though. Apparently they are keen to try and replicate the success of Guardiola at Barcelona. A former first-team star starting out managing the B team, before moving to the seniors and proving his worth. It's obviously a risky, risky strategy.

I'd be intrigued to see if a big club doesn't come in for Emery this summer, to be honest.
Original post by Mackay
There's talk of the Madrid board wanting to promote Zidane from within, though. Apparently they are keen to try and replicate the success of Guardiola at Barcelona. A former first-team star starting out managing the B team, before moving to the seniors and proving his worth. It's obviously a risky, risky strategy.

I'd be intrigued to see if a big club doesn't come in for Emery this summer, to be honest.

Yes, there is a succession plan already in place to promote Zidane to the first team, but he is still "work in progress", also he has not yet got his coaching licence (he is acting as assistant because the spanish law does not allow him to use his French licence because it has a lower grading). He will get the job eventually but I do not think that it will be the next year.

ANd yes, it is a risky strategy, I personally don´t think that Zidane would make a good manager, but maybe I am wrong.

I like Emery, I really like him and he is well rated in Spain. But it would be strange to have as manager the same person that kicked Isco out of Valencia at the time, and called him "fat boy". I doubt Isco would like to work with him,, Madrid is keen on developing his talent, so Emery would not be a wise option for that.
Original post by Dission

I like Emery, I really like him and he is well rated in Spain. But it would be strange to have as manager the same person that kicked Isco out of Valencia at the time, and called him "fat boy". I doubt Isco would like to work with him,, Madrid is keen on developing his talent, so Emery would not be a wise option for that.

I really like Emery. Two EL titles in two years is remarkable, especially when everybody was tipping Napoli or Wolfsburg this time around.
I don't think Zidane is a certainty for the job. He's just got his coaching badges and his team failed to get promotion and can only see him, like Carlo, taking in orders from above in team matters. Benitez might not be a bad option, think he would help bring defensive organisation but they need a few additions I would say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
I really like Emery. Two EL titles in two years is remarkable, especially when everybody was tipping Napoli or Wolfsburg this time around.

Bit disrespectful to Dnipro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emery is dat *****

Always liked him and felt Valencia messed up with getting rid of him.

La Liga will be interesting next season tbh wrt 4th place. You'd expect villareal to get better, I think Real Sociedad still have good players but need a bit more firepower up top which may affect them. Atléti pretty much have 3rd place, but if Griezmann goes to Chelsea, then it's going to be problematic for them as he's easily their best attacking player. Valencia have a good squad and so do Sevilla.
Original post by jam277
I think Real Sociedad still have good players but need a bit more firepower up top which may affect them.

You think Sociedad will be competing for fourth next year? Moyes' reign there seems to be satisfactory, maybe unrealistic to expect him to galvanise them high but doubt they will compete for fourth. Maybe a top ten finish but if he doesn't make good signings and they struggle, wouldn't be a surprise if he got the boot.

Latest