The Student Room Group
2-1 to Barca after the first leg in the Calderon. Two incredible goals from Suarez and Messi. Atleti rallied in the second half and had enough chances to take something to the Camp Nou. Looking forward to the game next week.
Atletico Madrid Defender arrested
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38856326
Great game at the Camp Nou yesterday. Atleti looked dangerous and Griezmann incorrectly had a goal ruled out for offside. The penalty miss from Atleti was a shocker. The Messi run for the Suarez goal was just beautiful to watch. Suarez getting sent off was a little silly especially with less than a minute to go and will now miss the final.

Just seen Alaves beat Celta 1-0 to make the Copa final. Catalan- Basque Copa (Kings cup final) final for the second time in three years and I'm the fans will let their feelings for the national anthem.
Wonder if Barca will wait till the end of the season to sack Lucho
Reply 9964
They're out of the title race basically and same for the CL. There is little point sacking him now...

He'll probably leave on his own accord end of the season but think he deserves another season simply because he's won a treble and a double in his first two seasons.

Manner of the defeat is embarrassing though.
(edited 7 years ago)
No way Enrique stays in charge despite the trophies he's won in short time in control. Amazing to think when David Moyes' Real Sociedad beat Barcelona that he was on the brink of being sacked and he turned it round to win the Treble.

But management cycles aren't fairly long in Spain so he's at the end. Barcelona need some investment in areas and incredible to see their midfield non existent last night.

Sampaoli is the primary name on the list to replace Enrique

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9966
Barcelona need investment but it's weird since they spent a lot in the summer in many areas. A right back is pretty important though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Brendan Rodgers 2.0.
They've bought terribly. No right back was a huge mistake. Not playing Rakitic was suicidal too. He should have played Mascherano and Busquets in a double holding midfield.
Reply 9969
Original post by Malevolent
They've bought terribly. No right back was a huge mistake. Not playing Rakitic was suicidal too. He should have played Mascherano and Busquets in a double holding midfield.

Yeah it seemed weird that Gomes started and not Rakitic from the way the game went. Barcelona looked better when he came on imo.

The right back was an issue though but I think it's similar to what Spurs did post Bale, you buy and bring back a lot of players to fill the hole of a couple of players (Xavi and Alves) and then you end up with this situation where nobody is actually good enough to replace them yet. In time you'd expect the likes of Andre Gomes to step up and be match winners but not yet.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah it seemed weird that Gomes started and not Rakitic from the way the game went. Barcelona looked better when he came on imo.

The right back was an issue though but I think it's similar to what Spurs did post Bale, you buy and bring back a lot of players to fill the hole of a couple of players (Xavi and Alves) and then you end up with this situation where nobody is actually good enough to replace them yet. In time you'd expect the likes of Andre Gomes to step up and be match winners but not yet.

Always look better with Rakitic on the pitch. As soon as he goes off normally they look so exposed and easy to get through. He covers so much ground and allows you to get away with Messi not tracking back on the right side.

Gomes will never amount to much, he was a waste of money, them trying to fit him in even if he sucks is just going to **** the season over even more. The midfield is a huge issue and its needs addressing.
Reply 9971
Loool if Barcelona win the title this season(looking like a real possibility considering how Madrid have been playing recently) and Enrique leave considering how people been saying the end of an era nonsense at Barcelona. He could end up winning two doubles and a treble in 3 seasons of management which no two ways about it is amazing.

Interesting that he is stating the excuse of pressure like Pep is saying.
(edited 7 years ago)
People say it's the end of an era every time Barca don't win the champions league that year which is quite funny. Managing Barcelona must be the most stressful job in football tbh, constantly expected to win everything.
Reply 9973
Original post by IamJacksContempt
People say it's the end of an era every time Barca don't win the champions league that year which is quite funny. Managing Barcelona must be the most stressful job in football tbh, constantly expected to win everything.

Yh very stressful. Its like the managers are almost set up to fail.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yh very stressful. Its like the managers are almost set up to fail.

He was a great player for Barca and a decent manager but lets be fair, the football of late as been arse, the midfield has been pretty much gutted and bypast by his tactics. With that squad he should be doing a lot better.

That being said, unless you have a love for Barca (and likewise with Real), why would you go there? Pressure, unreal media scrutiny, macheavelian players (Messi has gone a bit Raul-y) and no job security.
Reply 9975
Original post by Paulwyn
He was a great player for Barca and a decent manager but lets be fair, the football of late as been arse, the midfield has been pretty much gutted and bypast by his tactics. With that squad he should be doing a lot better.

That being said, unless you have a love for Barca (and likewise with Real), why would you go there? Pressure, unreal media scrutiny, macheavelian players (Messi has gone a bit Raul-y) and no job security.

Yeah ofc the football hasnt been great recently and they've struggled to replace a few players(like xavi and alves) but a treble and two doubles(assuming real bottle the league) in 3 years is nothing short of fantastic. I think as Barcelona manager you're expected to win the CL or leave which imo is unfair. It's a different situation to bayern who basically dont need to try in the league to win it...

I think its a little kneejerk due to the manner of the PSG loss and his trophy haul is as good as guardiolas which is saying a lot. People like to complain but Barcelona are not in a bad situation this year. From my understanding Enrique apparently asked to leave and not renew his contract rather than the board saying they will not renew it, which shows that the board clearly value him.
(edited 7 years ago)
He's done poorly in the sense that for the first time in a long while Barca don't look like a Barca team. It wasn't just the result in the PSG game it was that they got taken apart so comprehensively in midfield.

There is real negligence there, and when you look at the age of key players throughout that squad it's going to need an overhaul in the next few years, and there are some massive names that will need to be phased out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
He's done poorly in the sense that for the first time in a long while Barca don't look like a Barca team. It wasn't just the result in the PSG game it was that they got taken apart so comprehensively in midfield.

There is real negligence there, and when you look at the age of key players throughout that squad it's going to need an overhaul in the next few years, and there are some massive names that will need to be phased out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THIS!

Negligence is spot on, I don't expect Barca to walk the league or win CL every season but I do expect good football and a thriving academy. What I loved most about Barcelona was La Masia and the opportunity such a massive club gave to new players (which is why as a Spurs fan I'm terrified they'll go for Poch), realistically who is coming through the ranks? Denis Suarez was bought back and Sergi Roberto isn't really that good!...although did think Segi Samper would be a gem
Next appointment will be interesting in light of Messi's contract talks quietening down so you would imagine he will have an indirect say on who he wants in charge. Sampaoli is the name on everyone's lips but I think Barcelona might appoint a more steady and stable name, not exciting but someone who can oversee this transition and overhaul of some areas of the team that is required. Sampaoli might be the coach who takes full advantage of this work in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9979
Original post by Aky786UK
Next appointment will be interesting in light of Messi's contract talks quietening down so you would imagine he will have an indirect say on who he wants in charge. Sampaoli is the name on everyone's lips but I think Barcelona might appoint a more steady and stable name, not exciting but someone who can oversee this transition and overhaul of some areas of the team that is required. Sampaoli might be the coach who takes full advantage of this work in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Supposedly sampaoli wants the job but they want someone with a connection to Barcelona. I got this from balague though so it could obviously be nonsense.

Original post by Paulwyn
THIS!

Negligence is spot on, I don't expect Barca to walk the league or win CL every season but I do expect good football and a thriving academy. What I loved most about Barcelona was La Masia and the opportunity such a massive club gave to new players (which is why as a Spurs fan I'm terrified they'll go for Poch), realistically who is coming through the ranks? Denis Suarez was bought back and Sergi Roberto isn't really that good!...although did think Segi Samper would be a gem

Yh the football hasn't been great when I've watched barcelona this season but he clearly tried with the academy. He brought in roberto who isnt an rb, brought rafinha in who has had injury problems.

With the midfield issues well its not like he didnt try and plug the holes. He bought andre gomes and denis suarez and tried integrating rafinha. The youth has been a problem post pep and anyway pep was just very successful with the youth rather than Enrique being poor.

Fact is when you have a player as good as xavi how do you replace him? I think there's no coincidence that their midfield has looked worse at controlling games since he's gone.

Latest