The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justinawe
League's a write-off for us (Madrid) tbh, in order to win the league we would need Barca to drop 10 points without us dropping any AND win the Clasico on top of that, and I just don't see that happening. It showed today, how much we were missing Benzema and Higuain. Ronaldo may be one of the two best players in the world, but we can't expect him to score a hat-trick every game. Defence has been pretty poor this season too, not something you'd expect from a Mourinho team. We need to sign at least a new centre-back in January if we want to win the CL, Pepe can do one really.

Yeah, also I don't know what this set piece problem is. Like every single match I see madrid concede from a corner. It's pathetic. A new centre back is needed, sad as pepe did very well last season and the partnership with ramos was awesome. Varane is promising but is not ready yet while carvalho is past it.

I guess this situation happened 2 years ago and adebayor came in on loan, I'm guessing there would be a decent loan striker you could get in january. Or it might be time to force morata into the team for a few games maybe.
Original post by justinawe
League's a write-off for us (Madrid) tbh, in order to win the league we would need Barca to drop 10 points without us dropping any AND win the Clasico on top of that, and I just don't see that happening. It showed today, how much we were missing Benzema and Higuain. Ronaldo may be one of the two best players in the world, but we can't expect him to score a hat-trick every game. Defence has been pretty poor this season too, not something you'd expect from a Mourinho team. We need to sign at least a new centre-back in January if we want to win the CL, Pepe can do one really.

Mourinho took a blow to Benzema's injury. A lot of speculation on whether he's really injured or not.

Higuain and Benzema when playing, have played like they don't give a crap. If that's going to be the case the entire season, bring on Morata ffs. Tired of this team playing like they don't give a ****.
Saw a bit of the Barca game in the pub yesterday, Falcao's finish was just sublime. I immediately said after that Barca would win 4-1, look what happens :lol: Wonder what the odds were of that? Probably not too large but probably quite generous i would suppose.
I'd be worried about Barca in other competitions - they're essentially going to be able to rotate their squad in the league with such a lead
Original post by Zerforax
I'd be worried about Barca in other competitions - they're essentially going to be able to rotate their squad in the league with such a lead

Certainly. I'm hoping to see more of Cuenca, Delofeu, Tello and Bartra now (amongst others. Hopefully Rafinha and Muniesa will also get the odd opportunity in the league).

I think everyone would concede now that it's effectively Barcelona's title to do whatever they so wish with.
Lionel Messi has agreed a new contract with Barcelona, keeping him at the Spanish club until 2018.

The Argentina international, 25, has enjoyed a record-breaking year for club and country, scoring 90 goals in 2012.

Defender Carles Puyol, 34, and midfielder Xavi Hernandez, 32, have also agreed new deals that will keep them at Barcelona until 2016.

"In the coming weeks, Puyol, Xavi and Messi will sign their respective new contracts," the club confirmed.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/carles-puyol-xavi-hernandez-and-leo-messi-renew-their-contract-with-fc-barcelona

I'm amazed that Puyol's contract is for another 4 years.. he'll be 38 by then!
Wonder if they needed to amend Messi contract because the goal scoring clause was going to bankrupt the club :awesome: Love to know how much he'll be on now..
With Ronaldo seemingly wanting more money from Madrid to be on a similiar pay-scale to Ibrahimovic, I wonder how much Messi's wages work out and how they fit into Barcelona's financial strategy? I can't imagine him really kicking up a stink about wanting more money tbh, but as long as he is getting a decent amount considering his progression over the years.
Original post by Aky786UK
With Ronaldo seemingly wanting more money from Madrid to be on a similiar pay-scale to Ibrahimovic, I wonder how much Messi's wages work out and how they fit into Barcelona's financial strategy? I can't imagine him really kicking up a stink about wanting more money tbh, but as long as he is getting a decent amount considering his progression over the years.

I'm not sure what he's on atm, but I'm fairly sure that Messi is in his own unique wage bracket at the club where if he wants it, he gets it.

Not sure how true it is, but apparently he's not had a wage increase at all from the new deal.
(edited 11 years ago)
FM has Messi on 250k a week :awesome:
I just read on ABC that there is a strong rumour that Vilanova could be stepping down as manager of Barca this afternoon as he has suffered a relapse of the tumour that was operated on last year. Really hope not as it would be very sad and he is doing a great job. Links to a spanish and english language reports below, but they have apparently cancelled the staff christmas dinner and media communications so obviously somethings up.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/20121219/abci-vilanova-recaida-barcelona-201212191232.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2250503/Vilanova-steps-Barcelona-coach-tumor-relapse.html
Reply 990
Original post by Beckford MMCMXCIX
I just read on ABC that there is a strong rumour that Vilanova could be stepping down as manager of Barca this afternoon as he has suffered a relapse of the tumour that was operated on last year. Really hope not as it would be very sad and he is doing a great job. Links to a spanish and english language reports below, but they have apparently cancelled the staff christmas dinner and media communications so obviously somethings up.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/20121219/abci-vilanova-recaida-barcelona-201212191232.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2250503/Vilanova-steps-Barcelona-coach-tumor-relapse.html

Oh wow, this would be very sad indeed. I was beginning to wonder after how many seasons the 'Tito or Pep' debate would begin. He's been doing extremely well so far.
Original post by Abiraleft
Oh wow, this would be very sad indeed. I was beginning to wonder after how many seasons the 'Tito or Pep' debate would begin. He's been doing extremely well so far.

It says on the guardian that Barca will make a statement at somepoint today. Doesn't look good at all.
Reply 992
Very sad news if so. If he does have to step down I imagine Guardiola will come back in as an interim at the very least. I imagine he would want to come back and win everything for his friend.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
So sad if it turns out to be true. Guardiola to come back as interim manager please?
Damn, he's doing so well at barca too. Hope it's not the case that he steps down. Maybe a comeback for guardiola might be done sooner. Interim manager maybe till end of the season?
Original post by jam277
Damn, he's doing so well at barca too. Hope it's not the case that he steps down. Maybe a comeback for guardiola might be done sooner. Interim manager maybe till end of the season?

Thats what im thinking, although Guardiola would be under quite a bit of pressure as a comeback at Barcelona and he hated the pressure then. Really awful news.
Reply 996
Why not just have Titos assistant as interim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been reading that he might be out of action for 6 weeks plus chemotherapy so a few months possibly. But sad news especially as he's done so well replacing Pep. But prayers with him that he fights it successfully a second time as well, he seems on the outset, your typical Barcelona former player - humble at his core.

But I can't see Pep coming back although that would be a tremendous boost - just for who and what Pep's done in recent years - but I don't think Pep would. He wouldn't want to be seen to be undermining or enjoying the players' love for him too much so he'll stay in the shade. I imagine Tito's assistant will carry on.
pep's a cule through and through, if the board asked him I think he'd feel obliged to say yes, regardless of whether he really wants too, I think for this reason the board won't ask him, they'll respect that he wanted his sabbatical and won't 'force' him back into management.
Uefa bans Champions League contenders Malaga from European club competitions for one upcoming season for failing to pay players wages and tax bills on time.

The Spaniards, who advanced to the last 16 of the Champions League with an unbeaten run through the group stages, will miss the next Uefa competition they qualify for in the seasons between 2012-13 and 2016-17.

The Qatari-owned Spanish club could be banned for a second season within the next four years if it misses a 31 March deadline to pay its debts.

Latest