The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinda.college
I cannot imagine Messi leaving Barcelona even to retire somewhere like Russia or Asia, I seriously think he would say with Barca when he's old (even if it meant he has to endure a wage cut.) He has always been a player with potential and will want to play for the team that's more than a club, truly great player.

No, nor can I. Naturally I believe he didn't pay any attention to the offer, and naturally I believe and ardently hope that he will see out his career with Barcelona as perhaps the greatest one-club-player ever.
Deportivo have sacked their manager.
Was wondering what you guys are thinking about real oviedo. They've gone from near liquidation to pretty much a financial superpower. This is a team that produced the likes of mata, cazorla and michu as well.
Original post by jam277
Was wondering what you guys are thinking about real oviedo. They've gone from near liquidation to pretty much a financial superpower. This is a team that produced the likes of mata, cazorla and michu as well.

I'd give them a few years. Hopefully they can get up into La Liga and push for Europe in the near future.

This is rather interesting:

Didn't expect Chelsea, Valencia, Liverpool and Hannover to be so high tbh. Expected City to be higher.

I should also say that this isn't mine, so they could be wrong, I don't think it's updated for todays games either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Was reading up on la liga, I think the league is competitive compared to what people say. I know real and barca dome the league for the past 4-5 years. But people forget villareal came second, or the fact that from 05-11 in the prem we had a similar thing with chelsea and united till city came along. People also seem to forget that since the prems inception, there has been 5 winners, in the same time with la liga there have been 5 winners.

The lack of a challenge to barca and madrid is more down to the quality of the clubs compared to the weakness of the league. Was telling my brother why the prem has gone weaker in european competitions as well, I think it's down to not having a predetermined top 4 anymore. In 05-09 the prem was the strongest league in the world, because of the fact they had a predefined top 4. The reason why only bayern munich does something of note in the champions league consistently is because they're the only consistent team in the top 4, maybe dortmund now if they can keep it up(which I doubt if they sell a key player every year).
Original post by CB91
I'd give them a few years. Hopefully they can get up into La Liga and push for Europe in the near future.

This is rather interesting:

Didn't expect Chelsea and Hannover to be so high.

Surprised we're so high, I guess due to us being in more competitions helped, same thing goes for bilbao being in two cup finals. No Idea for hannover though.

Oh yeah I predict by the end of 2013 leo messi will be the highest scoring la liga player if not by the end of this season, 25 goals already, he was on 195 at the start of this season with telmo zarra on 251 so 30 or more league goals in half a season.
Yeah id say la ligas only really become 2-horse since guardiola's appointment and the influx of new galactico's (Kaka, Cristiano, VdV, Alonso). Hopefully atletico can break into the top 2 this season and get rid of the arguement.
Yup. Even as a mourinho fan, I'd like to see atletico win the league. It would make a change and get rid of the argument. This two horse race is no different from 05-11. Even then now I could still say there's still a giant disparity between the top 2/3 in england and the rest of the teams.

Also, I know it's a few weeks late, but look who is training at the club:

:gah:
Yay Abi is back. Any word on how long until he will be involved with the match day squad?
Thats Keita isn't it :redface:
Reply 1091
Original post by Malevolent
Thats Keita isn't it :redface:

:yep:

The Baron

Yay Abi is back.

:yy:
Original post by Abiraleft
:yep:

:yy:

:facepalm2: <-- me right now.

I thought Keita had left Barca? Where is he playing now? His wikipage yielded no information :redface:
(incidentally does anyone know when abi will be ready to back into the first team squad?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1093
Original post by The Baron
:facepalm2: <-- me right now.

I thought Keita had left Barca? Where is he playing now? His wikipage yielded no information :redface:
(incidentally does anyone know when abi will be ready to back into the first team squad?)

He did, he's at Dalian Aerbin F.C. in the Chinese Super League at the moment. He's back at Barca to train ahead of the ACoN, as they're currently off-season in China. :top:

Well, he quite recently returned to training, but I'm not sure when (or if) he'll be ready for first-team football. :no:
Keita :love: Much unheralded he was with Barcelona
A_n8xLPCAAAprUB.png large.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply 1097
More unrest at Real, with Coentrao apparently arriving late after the holidays and Mourinho apparently determined to punish him. :holmes:
Original post by CB91

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What in the name of holy hell is that?!? :laugh:
Anyone on here picked up either Graham Hunter's or Guillem Balague's book about Barcelona and Pep Guardiola respectively?

I saw the latter today and was tempted to pick it up but I felt Balague has a tendency to sensationalise generally with his stories to I think I'll wait the former comes into the library and give that a read.

Latest