Turn on thread page Beta

Torn over going with insurance choice over firm?? Wasn't expecting to get into both.. watch

ReputationRep:
    So this has been keeping me on edge me ever since I got my results... I want to do Biomedical Engineering and my offers were A*AA for Imperial (firm) and AAA for Kings (insurance). Up to and even after my exams, I was convinced I hadn't gotten the A*, and guess what, I didn't.
    But Imperial accepted me anyway despite missing their requirements, and so did Kings for meeting theirs.

Because of believing I wouldn't make it to Imperial, I'd put myself into the mindset over the past many months that getting into Kings would be great, in an attempt to avoid upsetting myself on results day. I'd gotten to the point where felt I was 50:50 happy with it going either way. Now that I got in, everything is just up in the air again, and most of the relief and happiness I felt was simply rubbed off from family members and other well-wishers, my genuine feelings were mostly just nervousness over the new pressure and expectation I would be facing. And uncertainty.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on what you personally think the better university for me would be.

Imperial:

Major:
    • Imperial seems to have a very low satisfaction level for a top uni statistically.
    • Workload is supposed to be insanely high?
    • People will be way smarter than me. I was already nervous about this. Missing my required grades did nothing to boost my confidence, and I'm terrified of not being able to keep up properly.. Or should I be seeing this as a great opportunity where the people around me can push me to achieve my best, which would be a massive help after coming from a not-really-worth-mentioning school with my AAA probably being part of the highest-end grades for the year despite my questionable work ethic?
    • Also, looks like they're offering a post grad course in Singapore, a place I lived in for two years in the past and a place I'm pining to go live again in. Does this really matter, though? Could I still apply for the same course with equal chances if I first go to Kings?

Minor:
    • Course is technically more established that the one in Kings, which may or may not make a difference as I'll explain below in the Kings section. The course structure and content seems to be pretty much the same.
    • The apparent fact that international students seem to tend to stick with their own race is a slight let down because multiculturalism is possibly the biggest thing I love about having lived in London for the past five years in the first place.
    • Student union opportunities seem better, with an art society where members have 24 hour studio access, a sci-fi-and-fantasy society with an absolutely massive collection of books, two major hobby-related things of mine, and a large established union for people of my home country. which make Imperial seem homelier to me that Kings, but would those minor resources really cut it for better overall experience?
    • My family is pushing for Imperial. They think I'm capable of it. Frankly, I also acknowledge that my main issues may just stem from insecurities.

Kings:

Major:
    • A big thing to note with Kings is that this is the first year that my BME course will be offered as an under graduate degree, compared with the masters degree they have offered for decades. At first, I saw this as a massive disadvantage, but when I went for their open day, I realised how enthusiastic the tutors seemed to make sure the course's first year was a success.
    • They are also starting out with a smaller group of students to help ensure this, so the individual attention from superiors would probably be a lot higher in Kings, the thought of which already makes me far more comfortable of the idea of studying there.
    • Lesser workload?
    • Better social life, apparently, as people aren't worked as hard and are generally said to be more sociable. Also, there being those from far more disciplines would add so much to the diversity..

Minor:
    • Crap unions in comparison, at least when paralleling the three I mentioned earlier.
    • Slightly more inconvenient travelling from home.
    • Lesser reputation? It's hard to find comparative data for this course specifically..

I'm sorry if this is long, but thank you for reading.

Edit: decided to get over my worries and go to Imperial. Thanks so much to everyone

ReputationRep:
    I thought with UCAS rules you had to go with your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBMum)
    I thought with UCAS rules you had to go with your firm?
    I believe you're allowed to phone up and ask your firm to release you from your contract within a few days. They're not obliged to do so, but they're still likely to.

ReputationRep:
    At this point kings would have seen you were into your firm and your space could have been given away. You would need to ring kings and see if there is even a space for you on the course before you even consider this.

ReputationRep:
    no, he can choose if both uni's accept him.
    I say go for imperial it is far more established and it kinda looks like your actually wanting to go there considering how much you have tried to "not upset" yourself by thinking you will be going kings, and also the points you have given are In favour of imperial, the only reason not to go is that your lacking self confidence at the moment which you need and you will get when you move there and adjust to the new environment, the confidence is the only thing stopping you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If Imperial have accepted you and are your firm you will have already been declined for the Kings offer even though it may show as Unconditional they will know your place is released.
    It will be tricky to get this changed as the place may not even be there any more for you to make a choice. Also your insurance, should Imperial as your firm release you, may not have accommodation so you will be stuck there.
    I think many people have these doubts when they make their offers and it is 'final'. Be proud of yourself and your achievements. Imperial think you are up to it so you will be with hard work and a will to do it.
    Only you can decide but be very careful about ending up in clearing when you have a fabulous place confirmed.
    I hope your decision comes easily now x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Araliya)
    I believe you're allowed to phone up and ask your firm to release you from your contract within a few days. They're not obliged to do so, but they're still likely to.
    Yes, but if you do this you go straight into clearing and end up with no offers. You may be able to ask King's to pick you up in clearing but this isn't guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you want to go through clearing, you're going to have to stick with Imperial - Kings will have already put the place they previouisly held for you up on clearing or given it to a different insurance candidate. On the bright side, hopefully you already had this inner dialogue about which is better when you initially applied and listed Imperial as your firm, so chances are you do like the place and will be fine there, and this is just reality sinking in and the inevitable self doubt which follows!
    Unis have a lot of support for struggling candidates if you do find the course tricky, and a great deal of people who didn't quite meet the requirements got in anyway this year, so you won't be surrounded by people better than you - and besides, A level grades are no great indicator of intelligence

ReputationRep:
    You can call your insurance choice and ask them if they would accept you if your firm released you. I was in the same situation last year and ended up going to my insurance uni.

ReputationRep:
    Once the firm university has accepted you, the insurance place disappears, so the problem doesn't exist. Getting released from the firm takes time, by which time any possible clearing place at the insurance university is likely to have gone, especially considering the university in question.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I would personally consider the Imperial course being more established to be a major plus. Also, is the KCL course accredited? Having an accredited degree (IMechE, IET etc.) could be beneficial in the future depending on what you end up applying for after your degree. What do you want to get into afterwards?

Also please don't be discouraged about not being the smartest; having people who perform strongly around you should hopefully help to push you to your best! Oh and I've met a few people who got BME offers of AAA so I'm betting there will be plenty of people in the same boat/with the same grades as you .

Good luck and I hope you make the decision that's best for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You can ask your firm to release you but this does NOT give you your insurance place. Your insurance place is already gone, if you ask Imperial to release you, you will be in clearing with very few spaces left.

(Original post by Swinginking)
    no, he can choose if both uni's accept him.
    I say go for imperial it is far more established and it kinda looks like your actually wanting to go there considering how much you have tried to "not upset" yourself by thinking you will be going kings, and also the points you have given are In favour of imperial, the only reason not to go is that your lacking self confidence at the moment which you need and you will get when you move there and adjust to the new environment, the confidence is the only thing stopping you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Don't give advice on something you don't know about - the OP (a female, btw ) CANNOT choose either uni to accept her unless Kings happen to have spare slots in clearing and 'promise' her a space but I've heard of this happening before for the applicant to be released and then be told 'we ended up giving that place to someone else' then they end up with nothing.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.