Turn on thread page Beta

Broadband watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I pay £15.99 for AOL's dial-up connection. I've been saving up for broadband for ages now and I want something cheap but good. I thought about switching to the Tiscili service, but some of my friends say it's not that good. I read in the paper this morning that BT have a broadband service for £19.99 a month. However, it also said that it's limited to 1 GB per household and you can only download a certain amount of songs - which put me off a bit. Anyway, my question is: What broadband company are you with and how much do you pay? Is it any good and can it be used to surf 2 computers at the same time? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ive had no problems with ntl cable, if you can get it in your area i recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timmy Tapeworm)
    At the moment, I pay £15.99 for AOL's dial-up connection. I've been saving up for broadband for ages now and I want something cheap but good. I thought about switching to the Tiscili service, but some of my friends say it's not that good. I read in the paper this morning that BT have a broadband service for £19.99 a month. However, it also said that it's limited to 1 GB per household and you can only download a certain amount of songs - which put me off a bit. Anyway, my question is: What broadband company are you with and how much do you pay? Is it any good and can it be used to surf 2 computers at the same time? Thanks
    i think u should just get AOL boradband because i use to have AOL anytime and now i am on AOL boradband, the reason i didn't chose Bt yahoo broadband is because they are £2 more and i wanna keep my setting and email addresss#
    so i think u just get AOL broadband which is the same speed as BT yahoo!!

ReputationRep:
    Tiscali are dicks. We had them and they were SOOO crap we swapped to another comapny. They didn't do the transaction properly leaving us not only with no internet, but with no phone line at all for two weeks. On the first day there was no line my friend came round to my house because she thought someone had cut the line and I was being murdered (she knew my parents were away that weekend). Bless her, she watches too many slasher films.
    Well, no actually I was glad she came round because a neighbour came round (40yo man) and asked if i wanted to buy wine off him and if I wanted any company he would be happy to come in. I locked myself in the house and was crying and crying and couldn't get anyone over to help me. Good old friends, eh?

ReputationRep:
    my friend has something called pipex (pipexextreme) and she sez its really gud...quite cheap 2.

www.pipex.com

ReputationRep:
    AOL broadband is ****, get the good BT broadband(£30 a month) its amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Some smaller ADSL companies just rent bandwidth from BT. There seems to have been a lot of problems with smaller companies not being able to get repairs done in a timely fashion.

Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml
    that's true

ReputationRep:
    We have never had any problems with ntl broadband. We are always having problems with ntl digital tv... isnt it funny how ntl can be good at one thing and totally incompetent at another??

ReputationRep:
    get sky+

it is the best thing there is ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi everi1!)
    my friend has something called pipex (pipexextreme) and she sez its really gud...quite cheap 2.
    I'm with Pipex too, and vouch for their good performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    I'm with Pipex too, and vouch for their good performance.
    zen adsl £28 a month - very good tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    get sky+

it is the best thing there is ever
    My mum wont get it, she doesnt want a dish on the side of the house... my mates have got it and they say its cool too... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    NTL is really good. You can get a 100% reliable service, 600k, for 24.99 a month. You can surf two computers at a time as well, though like always you will need a wireless router if they are not in the same room. Installation is free, modem is free, so all you pay is the subs - bargain!

ReputationRep:
    my dish looks fine on my 6 bed detatched thx :P

ReputationRep:
    ive heard that a company called bulldog provide a good service. 512k connection and its only 22 squids a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Great, but I don't think number of bedrooms has anything to do with it!:confused:
    you said it looks council house. just saying it doesn't. its just a ****in dish.

ReputationRep:

I've got BT Broadband, its absoultely brill, its fast, you can download anything, the speed is brill, however this all my be due to the updated computer that we got on the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    well we pay £70/mo for adsl but thats because its a 2mbit business connection rather then a home connection
    Have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk for some ISP comparisions. BT aren't that good (esp for custoemr service), you'd be better off going with a company like Plus.Net, Nildram or Pipex.

ReputationRep:
    This should be interesting.

I've just upgraded my £15.99 a month dial-up connection to AOL's £34.99 a month 1MB broadband. I know it sounds like a big increase in money, but I've worked it out to be an extra £228 a year (on top of what I was paying) and I think it will be worth it. I will also get 140Mb of free non-advertised webspace. Only, 10 days to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Those really old manky white ones look 'council house'. The new ones are inconspicuous.
    wot do u mean by 'council house'....it sounds abit pretentious if you don't mind me saying so.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.