Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When taking acount a broadband account consider the technologies and whats on offer. For example BT offer a 512kbps service for £20 a month however you have a 1GB monthyl download limit, this means you would be very resitreicted what you can do, so routers are out of the question.

I am with BT's £30 a month connection, they say they havea 1GB a day download limit but we have 4 users connected via a router and there is no problems.

Reliability is perfect and its always very fast, thought not a patch on my universities 155mpbs connection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timmy Tapeworm)
    At the moment, I pay £15.99 for AOL's dial-up connection. I've been saving up for broadband for ages now and I want something cheap but good. I thought about switching to the Tiscili service, but some of my friends say it's not that good. I read in the paper this morning that BT have a broadband service for £19.99 a month. However, it also said that it's limited to 1 GB per household and you can only download a certain amount of songs - which put me off a bit. Anyway, my question is: What broadband company are you with and how much do you pay? Is it any good and can it be used to surf 2 computers at the same time? Thanks
    aol broadband is very cool you can watch premiership highlights on it and the livehelp is useful for any problems you have with aol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Anyone know what the best xDSL ISPs are for carrying newsgroups?
    well no one answered your question :P i think i read that demon are good for newsgroups, but i cant remember really.

newsgroups are the root of all evil tho i heard too, all the really nasty internet stuff goes on in newsgroups :P

ReputationRep:
    http://www.demon.net/

yes

edit: don't take my word for it about the newsgroups tho, do some research :P my memory often plays tricks on me!

The advice I'd give to anyone seeking broadband is to speak to locals!

I happen to think 512kbs/1mbs blueyonder is top notch here (goes off on one about 4 times, uptime, speed excellent) and would recommend it to anyone!.. but there again BY are poorly rated in some areas. The same goes with ntl cable and bt adsl, NTL has poor ratings in the east mids (that’s just from people i know who speak of it), but its top of the tree elsewhere..

So just look into pricing and then local consensus on what’s best and you'll be fixed, never go for an advertising gimmick though like some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mxx)
    The advice I'd give to anyone seeking broadband is to speak to locals!
    Very good advice; looking arond on the net (http://www.adslguide.com is good), reviews vary from area to area.

In Birmingham, where I live, I have BY and am very happy with it. My other friends with BY are happy with their connections as well, and I know people with ADSL who moan about it going down, or about bad technicians (BT/Yahoo esp).

Remember NTL and BY arent offered in the same areas - you get one or the other. And also: avoid capped isps!

ReputationRep:
    I am using BY and it's fine for me, I can get up to about 70KBs on a good day, and the upload is fine. You also don't get any limitations, if you wanted, you could keep it on 24/7 downloading, without and worry of exceeding your weekly download bandwidth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    I'm with Pipex too, and vouch for their good performance.
    We also have Pipex and I'd say the same.

£21 inc. VAT per month (just asked).

Well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    We've got NTL broadband and I hate if with a passion. We used to have AOL and wanted AOL broadband but for some reason it wasn't compatible with our pc. Now we're stuck with NTL- crap email system and we're always having problems with it. I'd rather be back on normal AOL :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Anyone know what the best xDSL ISPs are for carrying newsgroups?
    Pipex are generally regarded as the best for newsgroup retention and completion. They're supposed to have something stupid like 95%+ completion on binary (more like 100% for text) groups and 7 day retention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timmy Tapeworm)
    At the moment, I pay £15.99 for AOL's dial-up connection. I've been saving up for broadband for ages now and I want something cheap but good. I thought about switching to the Tiscili service, but some of my friends say it's not that good. I read in the paper this morning that BT have a broadband service for £19.99 a month. However, it also said that it's limited to 1 GB per household and you can only download a certain amount of songs - which put me off a bit. Anyway, my question is: What broadband company are you with and how much do you pay? Is it any good and can it be used to surf 2 computers at the same time? Thanks
    I'd recommend Pipe, whom I am with at the moment. It costs just £24, and its a 512K connection.

Other ISP's may say that they charge only £19.99 for broadband, but you usually end up with a 128KB connection, which is four times slower than 512KB.

I would be happy to recommend PIPEX.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I am using BY and it's fine for me, I can get up to about 70KBs on a good day, and the upload is fine. You also don't get any limitations, if you wanted, you could keep it on 24/7 downloading, without and worry of exceeding your weekly download bandwidth
    How can you get 70kbps from a 512kbps connection? I think I.E is telling lies some where. 512/8=64 so the maximum download speed is 64killo bytes per second.

I.E is very bad at telling the correct download speed, it is only an estimate, in absolute real terms 60kb per second is more accurate.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.