Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying in year 10 in comprehensive school, as u know teaching in comprehensive school is crap and not good. some people are messing around. but i personally would like to get all A*s and a few of As. In the future I would like to go to Oxbridge. So to get such good grades I am studying some time by myself. I am reading GCSE books, but sometimes when I've read some information, I can't remember after few weeks or days it well. SO could u advise me how to remember everything well and how to revise better in order to remember all the staff well???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    I am currently studying in year 10 in comprehensive school, as u know teaching in comprehensive school is crap and not good. some people are messing around. but i personally would like to get all A*s and a few of As. In the future I would like to go to Oxbridge. So to get such good grades I am studying some time by myself. I am reading GCSE books, but sometimes when I've read some information, I can't remember after few weeks or days it well. SO could u advise me how to remember everything well and how to revise better in order to remember all the staff well???

make lists, write notes as you are reading... cover up the page and then write what you can remember... just keep at it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    I don't see the point of reivision at your age, you'll never remember it all for fifteen monthstime. Instead I'd just fill in workbooks/workbooks and you'll learn and understand it for year eleven when you'll need it.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds wierd but write what uve got to remember on abit of card, u can buy em in morrisions if ya wanna know, and learn it off that. wenever u can. stuff it in ya bag and read and learn wenever u can. it works trust me. (fellow GCSE studier thingy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rover)
    it sounds wierd but write what uve got to remember on abit of card, u can buy em in morrisions if ya wanna know, and learn it off that. wenever u can. stuff it in ya bag and read and learn wenever u can. it works trust me. (fellow GCSE studier thingy)
    You mean index cards. They are good for learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rover)
    OK, where is morrisons???

ReputationRep:
    yep. thats wot i meen. someone got a D or a C in history and used index cards and she got a B wen she retook it

ReputationRep:
    especially i cant remember some new words for German gcse. I haven t studied german in the years before year 10, I ve just started, but also would like to get an A at least, maybe I wont get an A*, but I want to get an A. I am learning these words by myself, but some of them can't remember after few weeks or days. Could u advise me again how to remember them well???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rover)
    yep. thats wot i meen. someone got a D or a C in history and used index cards and she got a B wen she retook it
    I am doing also GCse history, do u think it is hard to get an A* in history???

ReputationRep:
    http://www.kesgrave.suffolk.sch.uk/l...y/revtech.html
    http://www.eileentracy.co.uk/study_s...ExamStrategies
    http://www.letts-education.com/succe...echniques.html

To be honest I'd drop this A* thing for now and the Oxbridge thing. It's great to aim high but myself included feel that when you get a excellent grade you don't feel proud because you expect that grade. And it's even worse when you don't hit the grade you want. Just learn everything you can and don't aim for specific grades and then you'll feel much more proud when you finally get your results.

ReputationRep:
    ahhhhhh to be a year 10 again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    http://www.kesgrave.suffolk.sch.uk/l...y/revtech.html
    http://www.eileentracy.co.uk/study_s...ExamStrategies
    http://www.letts-education.com/succe...echniques.html

To be honest I'd drop this A* thing for now and the Oxbridge thing. It's great to aim high but myself included feel that when you get a excellent grade you don't feel proud because you expect that grade. And it's even worse when you don't hit the grade you want. Just learn everything you can and don't aim for specific grades and then you'll feel much more proud when you finally get your results.

The best way to suceed at GCSE is to get hold of the appropiate Specifications. AQA especially practically tell you examiner tight definitions for most subjects within them. Obviously for some subjects like languages it doesnt help a great deal but for subjects like Geography and Science for example it makes life a whole lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    The best way to suceed at GCSE is to get hold of the appropiate Specifications. AQA especially practically tell you examiner tight definitions for most subjects within them. Obviously for some subjects like languages it doesnt help a great deal but for subjects like Geography and Science for example it makes life a whole lot easier.
    Everyone older always says that, although I guess older must mean wiser. I think I may look closer at the specifications now.

By the way these specifications are online for those who don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a completely evil day, I've got like 4 weeks to my art exam!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone older always says that, although I guess older must mean wiser. I think I may look closer at the specifications now.

By the way these specifications are online for those who don't know.
    Indeed they are. By getting the examiners definitons from mark schemes is also a good idea. What we were taught to do at my school was just look through the past papers and tick off on the specification when we had found the appropiate question from a past paper for that 'bullet point'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Indeed they are. By getting the examiners definitons from mark schemes is also a good idea. What we were taught to do at my school was just look through the past papers and tick off on the specification when we had found the appropiate question from a past paper for that 'bullet point'.
    So that's why you all do so well I'm off to study now, I'm scared :eek:

ReputationRep:
    So that's why you all do so well I'm off to study now, I'm scared :eek:
    Of course it is, most exams especially GCSE's are just 'jumping through hoops'. Its like playing a game, you give the examiner exactly what they want and they give you a big fat tick

And dont be. I'm sure you will find them very easy, just do what I said, try to find examiner definitons. It makes life easier for mr.examiner, which is a good thing.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.