Can a relatively small amount of fat gain make a big difference to your performance? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I used to weigh around 8.7 stone and I'm 5ft 8 and male so I was right on the borderline between normal and underweight on the BMI. But I was by no means malnourished, I had plenty of energy and did lots of running and cycling etc and I was very fit.

Over the past year I got really depressed and although I kept exercising, I was eating a lot of sugary things and ended up gaining around 1 stone. Now 9-10 stone is a perfectly normal weight for my height but I'm now finding it very difficult to exercise. I tire out quicker than I used to and I end up producing loads of spit for some reason. Is this down to the weight gain or is there something else happening? My depression has virtually disappeared for the moment so it's not that. Any info/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
KingMORe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1 stone of pure fat is not likely to make a big difference in endurance sport.

Yes in theory every muscle and fat that is not helping you to exercise is detrimental because it has to be supplied with oxygen and and is effectively dead weight.

When I started running I was 75 kg but never weighed myself so it was a surprise when I found out that I had reached 66 kg.
At that weight I ran a couple of races and so on. After 2 years of running I quit serious running and came back to 75 to 80 kg, muscle for the most part.

When running now the more weight doesn't hinder me at all.

To give you a more detailed diagnostic you should tell us in which way you find it difficult to exercise and whether you continue to eat so much sugar.

->When you eat sugar you experience a short high but shortly after a down once the sugar level plummets.
But let us hear from you !
Thorax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could it simply be that sugary foods aren't fuelling your body as much your previous diet did? Sugar is very boom and bust.
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingMORe)
1 stone of pure fat is not likely to make a big difference in endurance sport.
If the op has gone up from 8.5stone to 10 stone, thats a lot of extra dead weight on a small person. Ever wondered why top endurance athletes are so skinny?

I challenge you to run the same distance/speed carrying 15% extra dead weight. Definitely makes a difference, and I would have thought more so for endurance than anything else.

On top of that if you've been sat around not doing any exercise for a while, you're going to find exercise difficult. And a bad diet (sugary rubbish) isn't going to help you feel energetic either.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
extra weight will make a difference but if you're not able to progress (given you're a normal weight you should be able to adjust and gain fitness at that weight) it's probably your diet not your weight thats the problem
CHY872
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hslt)
If the op has gone up from 8.5stone to 10 stone, thats a lot of extra dead weight on a small person. Ever wondered why top endurance athletes are so skinny?

I challenge you to run the same distance/speed carrying 15% extra dead weight. Definitely makes a difference, and I would have thought more so for endurance than anything else.

On top of that if you've been sat around not doing any exercise for a while, you're going to find exercise difficult. And a bad diet (sugary rubbish) isn't going to help you feel energetic either.
The OP is talking about cycling though as well - where the extra weight won't make much of a difference unless you're a pro cyclist.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for your responses. I forgot to mention that I don't eat all the junk anymore. I just eat the stuff I ate prior to last year i.e. wholemeal bread, vegetables, oats, chicken, no junk. My diet is definitely not the problem.
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CHY872)
The OP is talking about cycling though as well - where the extra weight won't make much of a difference unless you're a pro cyclist.
Now strap on a 10kg rucksack and go up a hill on a bike, or do a 10mile time trial... see if that doesn't make a difference to the speed/time/ease.
CHY872
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hslt)
Now strap on a 10kg rucksack and go up a hill on a bike, or do a 10mile time trial... see if that doesn't make a difference to the speed/time/ease.
Sure, when you go up a hill, you're doing a lot more work (98 joules per metre gained). In general however, you then go down the hill again on the other side - where the extra weight gives you extra momentum, helping you descend.

A 10kg rucksack will obviously make a massive difference - but it's not the same to simply putting on weight because it's acting on your body in a different way. Even relatively light rucksacks will weigh you down fast.

In reality, the extra weight would simply make you slower to accelerate and slow down - your top speed would be entirely unaffected (this is standard maths).

If OP is simply cycling slower, the problems are not in the additional mass.
KingMORe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The example with the rucksack is not valid. If you gain weight AND keep exercising, your body slowly gets used to the weight.

Thread starter, can you give us more detail about your difficulties when exercising ?

As for your problem with the increased spit production I suggest to eat a little more salt ( paired with enough water ) and try out the variations of vitamin B.

If your condition doesn't improve go to a doctor to check your blood...diabetes anyone ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1068)
79.05%
Leave (283)
20.95%

Watched Threads