Engineering Students - Laptop/PC Specs? Watch

Fazackerberry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Apologies if this should be somewhere else, but very few other unis use Siemens NX software.

Can any current students tell me the prefered system requirements to run the CAD software?
parpirate
Badges: 12
Report 6 years ago
I've only ever used AutoCAD however I found this on the Wolfson website suggesting requirements if you're looking to buy a computer / laptop. You could also have a look at the Siemens NX website, you seem to have to sign up to view brochures though. Wolfson does have a 24 computer lab though so there's no rush to buy your own computer if you don't want to right now.
Fazackerberry
Rep:
?
Thanks! Spoke to the guy in charge of it at Loughborough. Basically I have to weigh up splashing out £1300 on one that will almost definitely work, or less money on one that might... Probably the latter!
parpirate
Badges: 12
Report 6 years ago
If you already have a computer that works OK I'd leave getting a new one for now and save up for a better one for later in your course when it'll be more useful to have one. I wouldn't recommend spending loads of money on anything before you start your course, if during your introduction lectures it becomes apparent you need one you could get it then. If you're living in halls you'll be looking at a 5 -10 min walk to the computer lab where you could gather with your course mates to do any work necessary.
Fazackerberry
Rep:
?
It's a tricky decision as my current one is getting old, slow, very hot and has no battery life... Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.69%
No (717)
73.31%

Watched Threads