Rushika
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Okay so guys, i was going to apply for dentistry , but flopped my AS levels, getting ABCC , i have to reconsider , i was thinking optometry /pharmacy/audiology...
Having researched optomerty and pharmacy , i found it hard to find a good insight into audiology in its many aspects, including salary and how long it will take for me to earn a good amount, and also job prospects? Also id like to know what the course is like...and any comparisons to optometry and pharmacy are welcomed,
Thanks guys x
Podcaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pharmacy doesn't take flops.

You didn't flop anyway.
Rushika
Rep:
?
(Original post by Podcaster)

You didn't flop anyway.
oh i didnt mean it like that, i just meant i didnt expect to get C's
Podcaster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rushika)
oh i didnt mean it like that, i just meant i didnt expect to get C's
Ok no racism but I'm gonna take a wild guess that a) you're Asian and if so b) your fam want to make sure you do something vaguely medical. If this is the case Please do realise that there are many other rewarding science related degrees out there such as pure science? Doing a degree just for the job at the end while not exactly a bad reason isn't the greatest of reasons. remember you have to commit 3 years plus you may change your mind about what you want to do after.
Rushika
Rep:
?
Ok no racism but I'm gonna take a wild guess that a) you're Asian and if so b) your fam want to make sure you do something vaguely medical. If this is the case Please do realise that there are many other rewarding science related degrees out there such as pure science? Doing a degree just for the job at the end while not exactly a bad reason isn't the greatest of reasons. remember you have to commit 3 years plus you may change your mind about what you want to do after.
Well you got a) right, but no my family dont really mind what i do,they'd be happy , but i dont come from a financially stable background , so well naturally i want to do a degree which has a well paid job at the end and is worth spending a alot of money on uni.so my career option needs to something which i have a interest in doing and can provide for my family in the future.
Apply82
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello,

I think its very sensible to consider career options and to combine interests with plans for the future, the nhs careers website is a very useful resource, in addition work experience or talking to practicing opticians/pharmacists/audiologists might prove beneficial. good luck in your decisions for the future, the time taken in researching your options will be well worth the investment and effort.
emilydennis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey I've applied to do audiology at De Montfort university and I'm going there in September, I also chose audiology after getting lower results than I expected in my AS last year because I wanted to do medicine.

Since then ive had a lot of time to think and if the side of dentistry that you liked was interacting with patients and helping make a difference to people's lives, then audiology is best for you compared to pharmacy or optometry, (well that applied to me anyway!)

Audiology has really good career prospects because recently the NHS have changed a lot of stuff to do with audiologists, especially to do with education.

Now, if you want to do audiology you will need to go to a university which does Healthcare Science with an audiology pathway (however DO NOT choose Subderland - I had very bad experiences with them). You will attend university as normal and you will have a mix of lectures/practical lessons and you will need to complete a total of 50 weeks unpaid work experience over the 3 years which the uni should sort out for you.

The salary for audiologists starts at around £21,000 I think and there are LOTS of opportunities to progress and gain higher salaries as you move up the 'ranks' and reach consultant level or manager of a team. Let's just say it is a worthwhile career in terms of salary but you will not be earning anywhere near as much as you would as a dentist.

However ive found that its such a relief to not be doing medicine anymore, audiology has all of the perks of medicine which I enjoy, such as direct patient contact and integration of science, without the grooling process of applying, and years of super hard and stressful work.

What you should do is look into the career as much as possible and arrange some work experience at a hospital or with an audiologist in a shop such as specsavers and see what you think. Personally I think it is a worthwhile career but we'll see how it goes for me!

All the best of luck, don't rush into anything and remember that if dentistry is your passion and you really want to do it you can still achieve it if you work SUPER hard

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
dragonflyersh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Okay so guys, i was going to apply for dentistry , but flopped my AS levels, getting ABCC , i have to reconsider , i was thinking optometry /pharmacy/audiology...
Having researched optomerty and pharmacy , i found it hard to find a good insight into audiology in its many aspects, including salary and how long it will take for me to earn a good amount, and also job prospects? Also id like to know what the course is like...and any comparisons to optometry and pharmacy are welcomed,
Thanks guys x
I got AABC for my AS too x__x and I am an asian lol thinking about applying Mpharm in 2013. I am thinking should I drop biology next year as I got a C for my AS and I found it really hard...If I drop biology, I will be still be doing Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry next year
Rushika
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilydennis)
Hey I've applied to do audiology at De Montfort university and I'm going there in September, I also chose audiology after getting lower results than I expected in my AS last year because I wanted to do medicine.

Since then ive had a lot of time to think and if the side of dentistry that you liked was interacting with patients and helping make a difference to people's lives, then audiology is best for you compared to pharmacy or optometry, (well that applied to me anyway!)

Audiology has really good career prospects because recently the NHS have changed a lot of stuff to do with audiologists, especially to do with education.

Now, if you want to do audiology you will need to go to a university which does Healthcare Science with an audiology pathway (however DO NOT choose Subderland - I had very bad experiences with them). You will attend university as normal and you will have a mix of lectures/practical lessons and you will need to complete a total of 50 weeks unpaid work experience over the 3 years which the uni should sort out for you.

The salary for audiologists starts at around £21,000 I think and there are LOTS of opportunities to progress and gain higher salaries as you move up the 'ranks' and reach consultant level or manager of a team. Let's just say it is a worthwhile career in terms of salary but you will not be earning anywhere near as much as you would as a dentist.

However ive found that its such a relief to not be doing medicine anymore, audiology has all of the perks of medicine which I enjoy, such as direct patient contact and integration of science, without the grooling process of applying, and years of super hard and stressful work.

What you should do is look into the career as much as possible and arrange some work experience at a hospital or with an audiologist in a shop such as specsavers and see what you think. Personally I think it is a worthwhile career but we'll see how it goes for me!

All the best of luck, don't rush into anything and remember that if dentistry is your passion and you really want to do it you can still achieve it if you work SUPER hard

Thanks this was really helpful!
Jayyy1995
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi, i'm also just starting A2, I do Biology Chemistry and Business Studies (Dropped Psychology just now) I got BBCD (C in chemistry) (D in Psychology which i dropped) and am hoping to really push it and get AAB which is what I need for Optometry at Manchester University but i have also heard of Audiology and become interested, also the grade requirements are much lower. BBB at Manchester and ABB at Leeds which seem much more achievable. Is there any one studying the course at university and if so do you enjoy it? Also I was wondering about the average salaries of the two and how they compare. Is there much difficultly getting a job with either aswell?

I work at a pharmacy and my parents own a business of pharmacies so i know exactly first hand what it is like and i don't think its what i want to do so i'm just really focused on Optometry and Audiology thanks.
Ptolemy001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Is chemistry required to do audiology?
suekirk68
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I would disagree with you about Sunderland, I am in my 3rd year of BSc Health Care Science/Audiology and have had a good experience there.
RosaPonselle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well you got a) right, but no my family dont really mind what i do,they'd be happy , but i dont come from a financially stable background , so well naturally i want to do a degree which has a well paid job at the end and is worth spending a alot of money on uni.so my career option needs to something which i have a interest in doing and can provide for my family in the future.
Looking at the choices you've listed I'd say that you're better off doing pharmacy/optometry from a purely earnings POV.
Audiology-Med
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(however DO NOT choose Subderland - I had very bad experiences with them).
Hi, would you be able to explain why sunderland is bad , I applied for audiology there
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

You didn't flop anyway.
It does more than Dentistry in my experience. My friend got into Pharmacy when she got considerably lower grades than her offer.
Audiology-Med
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
It does more than Dentistry in my experience. My friend got into Pharmacy when she got considerably lower grades than her offer.
Then again pharmacy may take people with low grades, as they don't have that much competition to fill up spaces unlike dentistry which is highly competitive ,but to be fair the hard part is staying on the course
Audiology-Med
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by suekirk68)
Hi, I would disagree with you about Sunderland, I am in my 3rd year of BSc Health Care Science/Audiology and have had a good experience there.
Hi, I know its a long shot for you to receive this as you haven't been on here since 2013 but if you do get this can you reply to this as I need some information about the course at sunderland
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.59%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.89%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.91%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.63%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.15%

Watched Threads