The Student Room Group

AQA ICT INFO4 Coursework

hi i was wondering how difficult the AQA INFO 4 coursework is and how long it roughly takes.

how long did you spend on it during the year?

has anybody ever got full marks and is it hard to

i wasnt planning on doin AQA A2 ICT and leaving it at AS level but i might be doing A2 now and i was wondering what it entails?

greatly appreciate responses

thanks in advance
Reply 1
Took me a good 3 weeks to complete - rushed the final week. I found the mark scheme to be very vague so you might be going back and forth over things. Getting full marks is difficult. Its one of those works where you have to work on it consistently to the point where you just want to give up and throw whatever you've done in hope for a good mark lol..

I got an A in the end.
Reply 2
Original post by Munny_d
Took me a good 3 weeks to complete - rushed the final week. I found the mark scheme to be very vague so you might be going back and forth over things. Getting full marks is difficult. Its one of those works where you have to work on it consistently to the point where you just want to give up and throw whatever you've done in hope for a good mark lol..

I got an A in the end.

cheers, yeah ive heard, last year my ict teacher showed us the coursework that somebody had done and the folder was bulging with papers. the largest volume of coursework ive seen for any subject ever.

so even if you dnt get full marks, can you still get an a* on it? is getting an a* on it do-able? because even you dnt get A* in both the A2 units you cant get an A* overall?
Reply 3
Original post by jas_birring
cheers, yeah ive heard, last year my ict teacher showed us the coursework that somebody had done and the folder was bulging with papers. the largest volume of coursework ive seen for any subject ever.

so even if you dnt get full marks, can you still get an a* on it? is getting an a* on it do-able? because even you dnt get A* in both the A2 units you cant get an A* overall?

Your UMS total in A2 has to be at least 180 UMS; so INFO3 will be out of 120 and this will be out of 70. So let's say you get full UMS in Info 3, you will only need to 60 UMS for A* which is prob like 55/70 marks.

To get A* overall you need 320 UMS. Its difficult to predict what mark you will need to get as the grade boundaries vary from year to year so just aim for 63/70 and consider that an A* for your coursework :smile:

Are you doing the coursework first or INFO3?
Reply 4
dnt know what the department has planned yet, but it looks like INFO3 to be sat at the end of the year and INFO4 coursework during the year? so a bit of both im guessing?

how many hours a day did you put into it and how many would you say in total?

also is INFO3 really hard? or can it be conquered with standard text book study and past papers?

cheers :smile:
Reply 5
dnt know what the department has planned yet, but it looks like INFO3 to be sat at the end of the year and INFO4 coursework during the year? so a bit of both im guessing?

how many hours a day did you put into it and how many would you say in total?

also is INFO3 really hard? or can it be conquered with standard text book study and past papers?

cheers :smile:

Well cos I left it very late, and purposely skipped deadlines.. so I spent 6 hours on it each day - all my frees went into that damn coursework O_O. But its good that its spread out for you; just get it out the way as soon as is my best advice.

I wouldn't say INFO 3 is hard but its just A LOT of content so start pacing yourself with revision 2 months before and just cram with past papers and exam style questions. The case study helps a lot cos you can predict what topics will definitely come up. I was 1 mark off an A in that exam in January - was quite a difficult paper.
info 4 coursework took our whole year from sept to early may. I would say defo stick to your deadlines (which I didn't) and did rush it at the end, but I partly blame it on the teacher's fault for not knowing what she was doing herself. Remember to also have time to revise for your info 3 :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Munny_d
Took me a good 3 weeks to complete

how on earth? :eek:
in my school we do the coursework all year and it totals to be 100s of pages; i think my school is doing it wrong.
Reply 8
Original post by vabbian
how on earth? :eek:
in my school we do the coursework all year and it totals to be 100s of pages; i think my school is doing it wrong.

Oh no - our ICT department gave us from when our INFO3 exam ended (which was end of January) up until end of April. But obv, working in class with other people was kinda impossible for me >__< so I didn't really take it too seriously until easter holidays haha. Loadsa people ended up with 100s of pages but I think mine was only 90-somethin. I'm a minimalist when it comes to working :colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by Munny_d
Oh no - our ICT department gave us from when our INFO3 exam ended (which was end of January) up until end of April. But obv, working in class with other people was kinda impossible for me >__< so I didn't really take it too seriously until easter holidays haha. Loadsa people ended up with 100s of pages but I think mine was only 90-somethin. I'm a minimalist when it comes to working :colondollar:

wow sounds great though ending up with an A for doing much less than everyone. Sadly my ICT teacher believes in quantity over quality and I doubt I will be able to get away with doing less than 898989895823 pages /sigh
/not looking forward to next year
Reply 10
Original post by vabbian
wow sounds great though ending up with an A for doing much less than everyone. Sadly my ICT teacher believes in quantity over quality and I doubt I will be able to get away with doing less than 898989895823 pages /sigh
/not looking forward to next year

Tbh half of those pages will be screenshots of your entire system. That is the most tedious process so I recommend building up your screenshots as you're making it. I think the problem everyone has is the marking scheme is soooooooo vague so you're gonna be deleting stuff, adding stuff on, get it checked, repeat until you feel like giving up or get full marks in that section. Hopefully its the latter.
Reply 11
Original post by Munny_d
Tbh half of those pages will be screenshots of your entire system. That is the most tedious process so I recommend building up your screenshots as you're making it. I think the problem everyone has is the marking scheme is soooooooo vague so you're gonna be deleting stuff, adding stuff on, get it checked, repeat until you feel like giving up or get full marks in that section. Hopefully its the latter.

thanks for the advice ;_; cbf to do it LOL
gonna do a website for my dads company or for the KCCUK
Reply 12
do you get a choice of what project you can do or do they give you a list of ones to pick from?

also, as its a real client do you have to meet them and actually treat it as if you are doing work for them (e.g) documenting meetings etc?

cheers
Reply 13
do you get a choice of what project you can do or do they give you a list of ones to pick from?

also, as its a real client do you have to meet them and actually treat it as if you are doing work for them (e.g) documenting meetings etc?

cheers

Your project really depends on what your client wants. But yeah you can decide what kinda project you want to do unless your teacher forces/tells you to do one sorta coursework (in my school they made us do a system using Microsoft Access but I made a asp.net system. You just gotta speak to your IT teacher).

I would strongly advise to use a real client as it will make the whole coureswork more authentic and easier but you could make it up. If you do make up the client, remember you need to create fake e-mail for it and send e-mails to yourself, print screen it and add it to your coursework. So you will be typing messages to yourself. Having a real client would save you this sorta hassle.
Reply 14

has anybody ever got full marks and is it hard to

I got full marks on it it tbh, it wasn't really hard. I made a thread to share my course work. have a look

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2155814
does anyone know how many pages roughly info 4 should be
Can the business have to be real or can it be fake?
Can i see ur coursework please as a guide for mine
your*
Original post by Munny_d

Could I get your work, your coursework document? If you still have it that is... I'm the final year to do this spec before it changes so I just wanna leave year 13 without any messy grades and I want to be sure of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending