lolz1411
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello,

I'm applying to universities this year for 2013 entry, but am unsure which course is best for me. I'm set on studying in Northern Ireland (I live in England) and when I visited Queens and Ulster Coleraine I liked both for different reasons. I know I want to study something to do with food/nutrition, but I'm not too sure what course. At first I liked 'Food quality, safety and nutrition' but have been told by many people that I would be wasting my grades (3 A's) and that it would be better to study Dietetics. Could anybody share their opinion on Dietetics courses, as I'm a little scared that I won;t like this course because of the hospital settings (things such as tube feeding!)

Thanks
alice_wells23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey i'm not looking for uni for this year but for a couple of years time. If you're interested in food science i've been looking at a few universities and personally, i am interseted in Leeds. Here's a link of the the top food science universities for 2013: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...Food%20Science

I hope this is a help
KatsToes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe you would be better off studying dietetics because if you study nutrition there is not a lot you can do with your degree except use it to go onto dietectics, I looked at these types of courses a few years ago. I can't offer any advice on the actual courses but dietetics sounds really interesting and would def be a good career do you have A levels in biology / chemistry? Because dietetics is really science heavy, nutrition is too but A level requirements include high science grades (one of the reasons I was put off dietetics, biochemistry is not my best subject..) maybe try contacting some dieticians / nutritionists to gain more of an insight.
Oh and for NI uni's you have to sit some sort of test, I looked at applying to Ulster make sure you look into that before you apply.

Good luck!
Kat
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lolz1411)
Hello,

I'm applying to universities this year for 2013 entry, but am unsure which course is best for me. I'm set on studying in Northern Ireland (I live in England) and when I visited Queens and Ulster Coleraine I liked both for different reasons. I know I want to study something to do with food/nutrition, but I'm not too sure what course. At first I liked 'Food quality, safety and nutrition' but have been told by many people that I would be wasting my grades (3 A's) and that it would be better to study Dietetics. Could anybody share their opinion on Dietetics courses, as I'm a little scared that I won;t like this course because of the hospital settings (things such as tube feeding!)

Thanks

hello
this might seem random, but how did you figure out that you wanted to study food/nutrition ?
I take food tech A level and I like it, but I really don't know what I want to do at uni...
lolz1411
Rep:
?
(Original post by alice_wells23)
hey i'm not looking for uni for this year but for a couple of years time. If you're interested in food science i've been looking at a few universities and personally, i am interseted in Leeds. Here's a link of the the top food science universities for 2013: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...Food%20Science

I hope this is a help
Thanks for the link, was really helpful i looked at Leeds Met for Dietetics but they wanted A2 Chemistry which I don't have!!
lolz1411
Rep:
?
(Original post by KatsToes)
I believe you would be better off studying dietetics because if you study nutrition there is not a lot you can do with your degree except use it to go onto dietectics, I looked at these types of courses a few years ago. I can't offer any advice on the actual courses but dietetics sounds really interesting and would def be a good career do you have A levels in biology / chemistry? Because dietetics is really science heavy, nutrition is too but A level requirements include high science grades (one of the reasons I was put off dietetics, biochemistry is not my best subject..) maybe try contacting some dieticians / nutritionists to gain more of an insight.
Oh and for NI uni's you have to sit some sort of test, I looked at applying to Ulster make sure you look into that before you apply.

Good luck!
Kat
Thanks for your reply Kat. When i did some work experience at Kings College London, the lady I spoke tot here said the same thing, that as a Dietitian I would be able to do more, and its only a year extra at uni. Im doing the my A2's this year, but in Human Bio, Physics and Health and Social Care. I did AS chemistry last year and got a grade A, but because of timetabling I cant do it this year :/ I have the grades as such, its just the fact Im not doing A2 chem which cuts down my choices to only a few. I think Ill try and do some more work expereince this year as I spent most of last year doing midwifery, thinking that this was what I wanted to do :P And with regards to Ulster, there is a HPAT test that you have to take (going to cost a fortune for travel and the test!) but its one of the only unis that accept human bio and physics. Thanks
lolz1411
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
hello
this might seem random, but how did you figure out that you wanted to study food/nutrition ?
I take food tech A level and I like it, but I really don't know what I want to do at uni...
Well, to be honest with you I've only recently decided this. For the past few years I was set on doing midwifery, and everyone was in love with this idea (the first person in the family going to uni and doing a respectable job!). But one day someone asked me- 'If you could do any degree in the world, regardless of what grades you needed, where the uni was, how much it would cost you and what you could do afterwards- what would you do?'. I replied with food tech. I only did food tech up to GCSE as my school don't offer A level, but its the only subject I could hands down say I loved each of the lessons. although many people think it would be better to go with midwifery, I know Ill enjoy and course surrounding food science/tech and thats what matters If you wanted I could PM you my msn if you wanted more of a chat? Hope this helps
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, to be honest with you I've only recently decided this. For the past few years I was set on doing midwifery, and everyone was in love with this idea (the first person in the family going to uni and doing a respectable job!). But one day someone asked me- 'If you could do any degree in the world, regardless of what grades you needed, where the uni was, how much it would cost you and what you could do afterwards- what would you do?'. I replied with food tech. I only did food tech up to GCSE as my school don't offer A level, but its the only subject I could hands down say I loved each of the lessons. although many people think it would be better to go with midwifery, I know Ill enjoy and course surrounding food science/tech and thats what matters If you wanted I could PM you my msn if you wanted more of a chat? Hope this helps

Did you actually like the theory side to it as well?
A level food isn't much different, its just like learning about fats/carbs/proteins and the scientific structure of them :/
and yeah please or we could just PM
lolz1411
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
Did you actually like the theory side to it as well?
A level food isn't much different, its just like learning about fats/carbs/proteins and the scientific structure of them :/
and yeah please or we could just PM
Well in Chem and Human Bio we did that sort of thing, and I ddi and OU module in challenging obesity which covererd a lot of that stuff! I generally find that stuf quite interesting, but with dietetics/food science you also do some food quality/safety and preparation which I would really enjoy. If you look at different uni courses you'll see that they have optional modules which you choose personally Okay, I'll PM you my msn addy, give me a while though a I dont think I've ever PM'd before :L
KatsToes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for your reply Kat. When i did some work experience at Kings College London, the lady I spoke tot here said the same thing, that as a Dietitian I would be able to do more, and its only a year extra at uni. Im doing the my A2's this year, but in Human Bio, Physics and Health and Social Care. I did AS chemistry last year and got a grade A, but because of timetabling I cant do it this year :/ I have the grades as such, its just the fact Im not doing A2 chem which cuts down my choices to only a few. I think Ill try and do some more work expereince this year as I spent most of last year doing midwifery, thinking that this was what I wanted to do :P And with regards to Ulster, there is a HPAT test that you have to take (going to cost a fortune for travel and the test!) but its one of the only unis that accept human bio and physics. Thanks
No probs I snuck a look in the dietetics lab when I went on a tour of the allied health professions centre in Plymouth, looks pretty cool!

Ah that's great you have the science background, I took biology and some biochem modules and that was enough for me, I'm sure you'll be fine without the chem and I'm sure you could do some extra tuition alongside your course if you needed it. Experience will be good too, hope all goes well for you!
Roodie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To the OP, I definitely think dietetics is the better choice. Once qualified you have the option to work in a variety of settings within the NHS (acute/community/gastro/oncology/paediatrics etc.), or you could work directly in industry with the food tech side of things, or even work in the media. Lots of companies employ qualified dietitians, Muller and Kelloggs, to name a few. You will have more options this way, if you just study the food tech you will be limited. I've just qualified as a dietitian, so if you have any questions just ask away!
coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Roodie)
To the OP, I definitely think dietetics is the better choice. Once qualified you have the option to work in a variety of settings within the NHS (acute/community/gastro/oncology/paediatrics etc.), or you could work directly in industry with the food tech side of things, or even work in the media. Lots of companies employ qualified dietitians, Muller and Kelloggs, to name a few. You will have more options this way, if you just study the food tech you will be limited. I've just qualified as a dietitian, so if you have any questions just ask away!
Hi, this might be a bit late now but I am wondering what does it like to study food science at Uni? Thanks
FutureDietitian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

Thanks
It really depends what you want to do. Dietetics is right for me because I want to treat people in a hospital setting, that is my passion. For you, it could be this, or you may find that you want to explore a more research/industry route such as food science, which is an entirely different degree. Whatever you choose, just make sure you know what you want before you apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads